Samsung showing off the Ativ S

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
To me, the device just looks dull. After seeing the vibrant colors of Nokia's and HTC's WP8 devices this just looks unimpressive. The dull color fails to bring life to the WP8 home screen that the Lumias and 8s so perfectly do.

Seasurf

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Great advertisements for WP8 and will be great to have the most significant player in phones, Samsung, with a big entry for WP8. No way to judge the screen quality unless you are there to see it so will reserve judgment until can get first hand accounts. Let's get this phone out on the market.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
These videos seem to be more focused on demonstrating features of WP8 itself rather than talking about the Samsung hardware and how it is different from other Windows Phones.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to like the Ativ S for the sake of expanding the platform.... But it's like Samsung made 0 effort in doing this. I feel like I'm looking at an XDA thread that ported WP8 to the SIII. When you see companies like HTC and Nokia defining themselves, and Samsung spitting this hardware out... it's says one of two things; Lets give this Windows thing a try cuz Apple's relentless in the courts, or; Lets give this Windows thing a try because someone begged us.

I look at it and it just feels like a mod. Windows ported to an Android device. No effort... well, on the appearance anyway.... /personal_opinion

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the videos are dull. They remind me of the drivers Ed training films I had to sit through. A voice that is unexcited that is reading a script. No cheerleading there.

But, come on people!! Samsung is the largest device maker in the world. They have the most successful line of devices not named iPhone in the world. Of course they are not going to mess with success. No, this is not the eye catching, colorful personality of the Nokia line or HTC options. But it is a classy looking device that will appeal to a group of users not interested in the eye-popping devices of the other two manufacturers. Professional users will be more attracted to this. Older users may be more attracted to a more casual look. Heck, just some more shy people may be.

I am willing to give Sammy, which gave us the very dependable Focus series, all kinds of leeway. They have the fun "tap to send" and other GS3 features attached, which is a great selling point. They have seen the demand for the WP 8 handsets, so hopefully they see the chance to really promote this and make a good profit off of it. It has the expandable memory and larger screen that a lot of premium users want. The ATIV S (and hopefully Verizons ATIV Odyssey) has a great chance to promote the WP 8 line.

This is most likely a great device which may not have as many features as the Nokias, but may just be the sneaky kind of succesful just due to name recognition and (hopefully) availability. We are WAY better off with Samsung in the mix then we would be without them.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
It will probably outsell the Nokia 920 and do more to put WP8 on the map than any phone thus far. I love my Blue 8x but I also love my Titan 2 and how it looks. My 8x is my cool phone , my Titan 2 is my grown up phone and since I'm pushing 47 I guess I need one of those.

The Ativ S will sell primarily because of who makes it. Samsung is a powerhouse in smartphones these days. I can see this device pulling more Android users over to WP8 than any other phone out there.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It will probably outsell the Nokia 920 and do more to put WP8 on the map than any phone thus far. I love my Blue 8x but I also love my Titan 2 and how it looks. My 8x is my cool phone , my Titan 2 is my grown up phone and since I'm pushing 47 I guess I need one of those.

The Ativ S will sell primarily because of who makes it. Samsung is a powerhouse in smartphones these days. I can see this device pulling more Android users over to WP8 than any other phone out there.

+1. WP8 Will suddenly get veryyy popular.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I would love an Ativ S purely for the largest screen size but I feel that you are getting so much less
for your money than the Lumia 920. (The Ative s isn't that much cheaper in the UK)

I'm still so wishing someone would bring out a 5 incher just for me. It'll take me a while to save up
for my Lumia 920 so by early in the new year something else may be announced.

I still love my HTC Titans big screen, never had any problems with it at all.

It's not long until next year now so we'll see. :winktongue:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy Samsung is on board but I see a lack of enthusiasm (for lack of a better word) from them. It just feels like they're in this market because a buddy called in a personal favour.

I may be wrong, but that's how it feels to me.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I would love an Ativ S purely for the largest screen size but I feel that you are getting so much less
for your money than the Lumia 920. (The Ative s isn't that much cheaper in the UK)

I'm still so wishing someone would bring out a 5 incher just for me. It'll take me a while to save up
for my Lumia 920 so by early in the new year something else may be announced.

I still love my HTC Titans big screen, never had any problems with it at all.

It's not long until next year now so we'll see. :winktongue:

My wife is aching for a 5" or so Phablet WP. So you are not alone. She has the Titan 2, and no phone with a smaller screen interests her.

And it is GREAT to see you post again, Mr. Bear!! (Or do you prefer Sir Wee?)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
This phone is so awesome....this is my new WP8........with WP8.1 update coming in 3 months this phone is only better!

ATIV S is my Windows Phone :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
In agreement with Snowmutt, there isa group of people who would die for a phone like that. Imagine a corporate meeting with all the head honchos in the room. And now imagine if some pulls out a jarring yellow or a gaudy red 8X( there is one right?). It will attract all the attention, but for all the wrong reasons.
This, on the other hand is very corporate and elite.
Plus, a bigger( biggest?) screen for WP8.

Lately, its been like this, whatever Sammy does, is right. Though I hate them personally for the cheap plasticy look it will be a hit. IMHO.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In agreement with Snowmutt, there isa group of people who would die for a phone like that. Imagine a corporate meeting with all the head honchos in the room. And now imagine if some pulls out a jarring yellow or a gaudy red 8X( there is one right?). It will attract all the attention, but for all the wrong reasons.
This, on the other hand is very corporate and elite.

Not necessarily. Sure, Nokia buggered up with the 820 in some ways, but imagine we're all in a meeting. Everyone pulls out their iPhones and such, and then I pull out a Nokia Lumia 820 with a black backplate on it. Or a black Windows Phone 8X. There are black options available for both of these phones. Same with the Nokia Lumia 920. So it isn't just Samsung doing it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. Sure, Nokia buggered up with the 820 in some ways, but imagine we're all in a meeting. Everyone pulls out their iPhones and such, and then I pull out a Nokia Lumia 820 with a black backplate on it. Or a black Windows Phone 8X. There are black options available for both of these phones. Same with the Nokia Lumia 920. So it isn't just Samsung doing it.

Hmmm..now that's different. I meant, the colorless, bland and metallic design is something no one has...neither Nokia nor HTC.
I think BB users will go a little bonkers seeing it...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm..now that's different. I meant, the colorless, bland and metallic design is something no one has...neither Nokia nor HTC.
I think BB users will go a little bonkers seeing it...

Oh absolutely. I just hope if there is a Surface phone released they take the best of Nokia and Samsung. Bland metallic option available, or interchangeable backplate to go for bold colours (maybe as part of an extended battery for the Surface, if anyone remember that concept of interchangeable parts like an Xbox Controller, hard keyboard, etc. Make the hard keyboard come in bland metallic only, the controller in bold colours only, and the extended battery in both, maybe have variations that permit wireless charging etc too, as well as 'no extras type backplates that will just slim the phone down in size).

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely my phone choice. Samsung does not need crayola colors to make their phone look good. Nice metal look does a great job. I would rather it be real metal, but there is not a single phone out for WP8 yet that is metal, which is sad.

Also, the fact that I can add a SD card just trounces the other competitors.

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not understand all of the complaining regarding this phone, it has a better battery life, better screen size, better resolution, etc etc etc.... How could you pick the nokia crayon box/brick over this?

Anyways, this phone is the best of the top three contenders, with the exception of it not being out in the US yet, which is understandable...

I have a focus s, and I think this is the next best logical upgrade! Shoot it outperform the Iphone 5, for the cApple fans, and is a much sexier UI than the android. I have a Nexus 7, and love it, but I will never get an android phone after having used it, it hogs up too many resources, and is not streamlined enough for a mobile phone sized device imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans