User Reviews - Ativ S

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not about a perfect device is about if there are phones with better specs why come and say i don't use that just to justify if you know that's not true cause you will one day use that camera or listen to music on the phone. It's like buying a smartphone and not putting a data plan on it cause you have internet at home.

First: sentence structure - learn it.

Second I could give a rat's butt about music on my phone, because as weird as it sounds, I use other devices for that. Just as a photography enthusiast is going to pull out his slr for shots, not his 920. The Ativ looks like a solid device, but I can't stand the Samsung look - that doesn't mean it's ugly. It means I find it unappealing. You're argument is like someone saying "Why buy a car that has a cigarette lighter if you don't smoke?"

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I actually found the audio on the Ativ S better than expected for a smartphone on first listen (better than my Samsung Focus). I've only had the phone for a couple of days, but my first impression was that soundstage is better and there is more detail when attached to a pair of Sleek Audio SA6s. Going to hook it up to my Adam A7Xs at some point to give it a proper listen. I wouldn't rule this one out based on audio quality yet.

I preferred the audio on my HD7, even without any of the presets it had as full a spectrum as you can get on a pair of ear buds. The sound is clear and detailed, just lacking the full spectrum. Nothing below the high mids is really audible, even with a high end headset. I have to plug it into something with an eq just to get a decent sound out of it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just swapped my Lumia 820 for the Ativ s. Not disappointed with changing it so far, the only thing I'm missing is the wireless charging but you can't have everything it would seem. If your torn between these two phones I would recommend the Ativ s.

Just out of curiousity: Why? You didn't really go into detail. What do you like better about the ATIV? Interested in your opinion as you have had both devices,

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Unplugged yesterday at 10am, used it for GPS, a couple calls, lots of texts/e-mail, surfing the web and apps, etc. Fairly "typical" use if there is such a thing. Anyways I crashed at a friends last night so couldn't plug in. Used the phone all day today without giving it any juice and I am still hovering at twenty percent battery life. Very cool.

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Compare the HTC 8X with the Lumia 920 with headphones which is the way most people use their phones, then come back and tell me. Dolby audio on the Nokia sounds wayyyyyyyyyy better than beats on the HTC 8X

I actually thought the same. I like HTC as well as this is the first time in a long time I bought a phone other than HTC, but personally like the Music on my Lumia 920 better that on my HTC One X. I'm no audio expert by any means. Hehehe...

Drewstwitts

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiousity: Why? You didn't really go into detail. What do you like better about the ATIV? Interested in your opinion as you have had both devices,

Prefer the screen size and thickness, build quality is slightly better and I also prefer the metallic look to it. Defiantly feels like a premium product against the 820. Would still recommend the 820 as an alternative if you didn't want such a large screen.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As Samsung is taking it's time getting this baby to market in the US, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I loved my Focus S enough that originally this was going to be my next phone, sight unseesn. Then I really was excited after seeing it. But Nokia won me over with the sheer force of nature it is putting on it's WP's, and I am leaning to one of thier WP 8's. But, I keep coming back to the ATIV. It really is a classy device from a device maker I trust.

I can't totally shut the door on Sammy. Will trust in reviews from my fellow WP Central users. Be interesting to see what the ATIV Odyssey brings on Verizon.

Decisions, decisions...

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
As Samsung is taking it's time getting this baby to market in the US, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I loved my Focus S enough that originally this was going to be my next phone, sight unseesn. Then I really was excited after seeing it. But Nokia won me over with the sheer force of nature it is putting on it's WP's, and I am leaning to one of thier WP 8's. But, I keep coming back to the ATIV. It really is a classy device from a device maker I trust.

I can't totally shut the door on Sammy. Will trust in reviews from my fellow WP Central users. Be interesting to see what the ATIV Odyssey brings on Verizon.

Decisions, decisions...

My Focus won me over, and my Focus S after that! But... I am so disappointed in Samsung for not even sharing info on a US release date... That I am heavily considering going with another maker for the next 2 years.... Sad really, as I had been telling all of my friends and family about this phone for months now...

freakf43

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
hi, is that bad? i've read on the cnet review that it sounds just like the galaxy s3, (which has an almost perfect audio output), so it gets me confused to read that it lack bass, because the s3 was a leader in that category. I've thad the original focus, focus s. lumia 822, 920, and 928. Of all of them the focus s was the best. and boy it did sound good. I will have to decide now on what phone to buy next. It's either the ativ s or the lumia 928. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so my decision will be based solely on the audio department. ps. the lumia 820 has a terrible sound quality, just like the 822 and the 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte