is the ATIV S 3G, 4G, or 4GLTE?

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading conflicting reports on whether the ativ s is going to be 3g, 4g, or 4gLTE. Does anyone know (at least for stateside...)

Anyone know any more details on the Odyssey as well?

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
4G and 4G LTE is the same thing. 4G = LTE.

The problem here in the United States (and possibly elsewhere) is that wireless carriers started to label HSDPA+ (3G or 3.5G) as 4G. So now because of moronic marketing we now have to differentiate between true 4G and fake 4G by calling them 4G LTE and 4G respectively.

So in this context, 4G does not equal LTE

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The problem here in the United States (and possibly elsewhere) is that wireless carriers started to label HSDPA+ (3G or 3.5G) as 4G. So now because of moronic marketing we now have to differentiate between true 4G and fake 4G by calling them 4G LTE and 4G respectively.

So in this context, 4G does not equal LTE

That's shocking! Good to know!

Aliandren

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile hspa+ isn't that far behind verizons lte speeds. Its really not that much of a stretch.
Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia was behind the push for H+ They were planning to call this 4g after they improve on it, so companies started calling it 4g. But at&t went along with multiple carriers with LTE standard rendering Nokia's meego plan useless thus the Change in plan.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile hspa+ isn't that far behind verizons lte speeds. Its really not that much of a stretch.
Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

I'm not sure where you are but Verizons LTE is a **** of a lot faster than T Mo hspa+in LA. Depending on location speeds will vary (esp on att) but the consensus is LTE is a lot faster than hspa+ and wimax.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Canadian Ativ S has faux G (dual hspa+ 42 mbps dl) and 4G (LTE). LTE isn't available in my area yet but data speeds can be very fast. I notice a big difference from my previous phone. (HD7, same network)

It also has AWS HSPA bands.

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
ohh its LTE alright. im connected to fido's LTE (got bell's ativ s unlocked) as it says so on the top left. this is my speed...faster than me damn cable modem at home!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130114_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20130114_0001.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 18

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
In Canada there is a Ativ S version that has single band LTE. The frequency of the carrier that provides LTE. Beware... One frequency only. Will only work with carriers that use that LTE frequency.

Last edited:

tek673

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I am someone who travels internationally and is from the US, I purchased the unlocked international quad-band(GSM) version of the Samsung Ativ S more than a year ago. I have used it on the US carrier systems (before it was available from the carriers) as well as overseas. It sometimes shows 3G, and sometimes shows H+ (HSPA+ that some carriers sell as 4G) It does not however work with LTE systems. This should be a moot point in the US as Verizon is the only carrier I'm aware of with LTE service in the US and they are the only cellular service to use CDMA instead of GSM technology.

To summarize:
The Verizon version works nowhere else, but according to Verizon can use their LTE 4G.
The GSM version should work anywhere (except Verizon), and can use HSPA+ which is what the GSM carriers are selling as 4G anyway.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
ohh its LTE alright. im connected to fido's LTE (got bell's ativ s unlocked) as it says so on the top left. this is my speed...faster than me damn cable modem at home!

Only if it's the T899m version, the i8750 is GSM only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes