The ATIV S will never be released in the USA

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 and love it but also wanted to give the Ativ a look for some of the reasons listed. Samsung just took too long to make a commitment on it. The best thing for me... in 2 years I'll have even more awesome phones to choose from!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Once again, we have a thread where someone has a legit personal preference, and once again we have posters telling them to get over it. So... LowDownDirtySkynardFan prefers Samsung products. Considering they are THE largest cell phone producer in the known cosmos, L.D.D.S.F. is most likely not alone. As Samsung's Focus/Omni series was a nice series of WP 7.5 devices (the original Focus is arguably the most succesful single device among WP 7 devices, most certainly among the Gen 1 devices), again most likely not alone. Get the ATIV S out to some major carriers with the Samsung name on it, it will sell just BECAUSE it is a Samsung. This is a serious phone. Fun screen, large size and expandable memory perfect for gaming and multi-media. The 920 and 8X, despite their advantages, do not offer that combination.

It is unfortunate that Sammy isn't striking while the iron is hot. WP8 devices are selling real well and they could easily carve out a large base for the ATIV. I love my Focus S, and will keep any Samsung out there that meets my needs as a top choice. But, you can't support what isn't available. Stupid decision. If you are going to announce and produce it, give it a chance to be succesful.

Terry Carter

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
my phone is running LTE most of the time when i am close to a LTE tower. My internet is blistering fast i just can see how it can be any faster. You should get a Ativ S the phone will run 2g 3g 4g or 4g LTE it will find whatever tower is close & use it so great phone conanheath

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Alright, well: Carriers to blame for Samsung's weak start with Windows Phone 8? | Windows Phone Central

I say, we just wait until Lenovo, ASUS, and LG release their phones on WP8 here. Sony should really get their act together. Microsoft Surface phone. And yea, sooner or later, carriers might buck up and release the ATIV S way-y late in the US. Maybe they'll release like a ATIV Odyssey equivalent to the rest of the carriers. Better specs.

I'd jump at a Sony WP8.5 to be honest..

winutils

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I just received my ATIV S from Negri (took 2 days - no issues) and I have an AT&T Micro-SIM, however now I am stuck trying to activate it on AT&T. I had no problem before with other phones from Negri but AT&T claims the Ativ S (Samsung I8750) phone does not exist in their database so they cannot activate it on their network. I would appreciate anyone giving me an idea of how to proceed!

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I just received my ATIV S from Negri (took 2 days - no issues) and I have an AT&T Micro-SIM, however now I am stuck trying to activate it on AT&T. I had no problem before with other phones from Negri but AT&T claims the Ativ S (Samsung I8750) phone does not exist in their database so they cannot activate it on their network. I would appreciate anyone giving me an idea of how to proceed!

Start a new thread, instead of hijacking this one.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
To the OP: I'm planning to buy a L920 with my income tax return. Once I have it I may sell my Ativ S. It is in straight-up mint condition. I've had it in an incipio shell and a screen protector since it was unboxed. The case is in rough shape, but the phone is immaculate. (kinda the point of a case, right? It is the Bell Mobility (Canada) 16GB version. Shipped with Portico and no phone-specific issues since day one, apart from unusual battery drain. (2 separate instances in 2 months of ownership; still might not be phone-specific) I just always wanted the Nokia. I have a Verbatim 16GB SD Card which I will format and ship with the phone. If I do decide to sell it I will unlock it at my own expense and will be looking for $500 firm +shipping. PM me if you're interested.

You have good reason to desire this phone. Great battery life, great performance, great form factor, (I'm only 5'9" and I have no issues using it one-handed with either hand) and best of all it doesn't seem to suffer from the QC issues that have plagued some HTC and Nokia devices. The camera is exceedingly underrated as well. I have a couple friends with 920s who are genuinely impressed with the quality low-light shots I've gotten with it, without playing with the settings. I've never even OPENED the camera settings. Literally. It really is a fantastic device that's just overshadowed by the competition.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I was pretty sure it was a regular SIM...

Edit: Ok I just physically checked, and it is, in fact, a micro SIM. I retract my previous statement.

Good to know that I won't need a new SIM when I get my L920.

Last edited:

berrywr

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
When all of you say the device is unlocked do you mean subsidy (carrier) unlocked or is the device developer/interop unlocked? I'm looking for a device that is unlocked all the way like what the folks over at XDA have done with Windows Phone 7.x on devices like the HTC Titan I (Eternity). Thank you!

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just some food for thought. Have you guys thought about the Ativ S may be a suspect for actually being one of the two WP8 devices heading to Sprint (perhaps a global version of it, and perhaps having the 32GB version)? I know it may sound like a long shot, but Sprint made it sure nearly all mid and high end devices from this year and after will be global devices (CDMA 2000/GSM)

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsun had not denied or comfirmed if the Ativ S is coming to the US market, which leaves a big uncertainty about it, unlike HTC confirming the 8S is not coming to US carrier anytime soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss