SD-CARD and Camera problems

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone else had any issues with corrupt files on their ATIV-S when using the camera?

I have a 64GB SanDisk Class 10 (HC 1) sd-card and I have had a situation twice where just as I am taking a photo something else happens on the phone (a text message arrives, or an alarm pops up) - this seems to interrupt the photo save and the camera stops working. After a reboot the camera app will start, but then just shuts if you try to take a picture.

to fix the issue I put the sd-card into my (Win 7) laptop and it pops up the message about wanting to scan and fix errors. I let it do that, it says "no errors" found. If I then look at the photo (on the pc) its only partly written (like a third of the picture is visible).

The first time it happened, I deleted the half saved file from the card whilst it was in my laptop. second time I thought I'd see if the camera worked after the fix, but without deleting the file. It works fine in the phone and I can see the half saved file too.

The card is brand new and was formatted by my Ativ-S.

My phone is running the Portico update (was delivered with it)

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
its almost unusable - happens once every two days or so and sometimes several times a day. Will try a 32GB card when I can. No way to fix this unless you have a laptop :( Will not sync (get driver errors) if the card is in a "corrupt" state. VERY irritating.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I use a Scandisk class 10 card without issue - mind you, it's a 16 gb card and I set it for pics and music to automatically stored there. I would try a smaller card to see if it resolves the issue.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah, mine's a SanDisk class 10, but 64GB - will try a 32 later this week. I also have mine set for photos and music. All the documentation I can find says 64 is supported.

I'll update later with results...

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have another problem with SD card on ATIV S, recent I bought my ATIV S, along with a 16GB micro SD card, When I plug my phone with my desktop machine, which is still running Windows Vista X64 SP2, it would try to go online for driver. Couple moments later it's done, a window pops out so I could examine the content of my phone, including the build-in storage of my phone and SD card. I could copy video files supported by WP8 devices into the SD card with no problem, but when I tried to copy images supported by WP8 into SD card, it simply doesn't allow the action, it just acts like the photo folder is set to read-only or something like that.

This problem has been troubling me for quite some days, but there's still a way to copy images into SD card, just simply shut down the phone, remove the back cover, take out the SD card, and plug it into my desktop machine, so I could proceed the file copy I want. I know Windows Phone for Desktop doesn't work in Windows Vista, working via Windows Explorer is the only way to copy image files into SD card, but it is quite inconvenient, since every time I have to shut down the phone, and remove the back cover, we can just take a look at the back cover of ATIV S, it is obviously made out of plastic, and I'm afraid that removing and putting back the back cover too many time and too often would damage it, I really don't want this happens, could anyone help please?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
yeah, mine's a SanDisk class 10, but 64GB - will try a 32 later this week. I also have mine set for photos and music. All the documentation I can find says 64 is supported.

I'll update later with results...

Where did you get your SanDisk? If you got it off eBay, it could be a counterfeit SanDisk.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get your SanDisk? If you got it off eBay, it could be a counterfeit SanDisk.

I'm begining to think that's maybe the case - I got it from from a seller on Amazon UK - HK based (didn't realise it at the time). Has very good feedback, but other than that I have no way of knowing if its genuine....

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm begining to think that's maybe the case - I got it from from a seller on Amazon UK - HK based (didn't realise it at the time). Has very good feedback, but other than that I have no way of knowing if its genuine....

just checked with SanDisk and its a genuine sandisk card . . . . (in a way I was hoping it wasn't)

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried formating the Card to FATex using a computer instead of the Fat 32 that the phone will use? Seems that helped in the Nokia 822 thread.

kherm

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried formating the Card to FATex using a computer instead of the Fat 32 that the phone will use? Seems that helped in the Nokia 822 thread.

Actually it opposite I bought SD card 64gb at Amazon that have FATex that has alot of problem So I reformat it to FAT32 since then I never have any problem

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have discovered that I had a bad card, I used the program h2testw to check it, it writes to the entire card and then reads back and verifies the data. My card failed after a fresh format in the computer. Reading reviews I am seeing a lot of issues with the 32 GB and Larger cards even from name brand suppliers like lexar and sandisk. For now I have gone back to a 16 GB Sandisk (large enough for now) card which passed the h2testw program and am not having problems anymore. I will update if I do.

At this point I to feel it is the card not the phone.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I found out that Lexar microSD 32GB/64GB is using 20nm IM Flash Technologies memory chips, I don't get it? Intel/Micron NAND flash memory suppose to be second best in the world made in the U.S. By IM.

http://www.imftech.com/

Samsung microSD 32GB/64GB also made on 20nm memory and is #1 in the world Samsung Flash Solution is for now.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tor%2Fproduct%2Fflash-solution&token=F6LZp0Vs

SanDisk microSD is produced on 19nm Flash Technology made at SanDisk manufacturing facilities. Now it's a Fortune 500 of Standard & Poor's!! means it too should be very good memory!

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/

Maybe it has something to do with SD Association technical standards for microSD card technology? Maybe there is something wrong with there Class 10 specs?

https://www.sdcard.org/home/

Ill do some more research into it! 😎

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The phone formats it as exFat with an allocation size of 128k. I'm pretty sure WP8 won't work with fat32 - that's the only option I haven't tried. I've formatted it on a windows 7 pro machine (in an sdcard slot not a card reader), using DISKPART, clearing it first, creating an aligned primary partition and formatting witha 32k alloaction size - that didn't work, failed almost immediately as I tried to resync my music.copying my photos directly on to the card was absolutely no problem, syncing with the crappy windows phone software for win7 is where it failed.

I then reformatted using sdformatter v3.1 - that formatted as exfat. that failed too.

Its is currently haveing a full wipe an full format with sdformatter 3.1 (been running for 90 minutes for 90 minutes so far.

tedium.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
so turns out that WP8 will use fat32. I downloaded guiformater to format the 65GB card and my phone sees and uses it fine. Still has a brain fart when I copy anything to it with windows phone sync. But the phone will recover from the problem with a reboot so no need to put the sdcard into a PC to fix it. But the problem is still there.

Spoke to SanDisk and they're replacing the card. Fingers crossed that the next one works.

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Grizly,

Have you done a write-verify test with Download H2testw 1.4 Free - Check your USB for errors with this tool - Softpedia yet? It will tell you for sure if it is a card problem.

Given the number of crap cards out there these days it is the first thing I will do on every card I get now. I miss the days when as long as you bought Sandisk or Lexar they just worked, now it seems like they all have a large percentage of bad cards making it to the market. I guess that's the price we pay for cheap memory

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Grizly,

Have you done a write-verify test with Download H2testw 1.4 Free - Check your USB for errors with this tool - Softpedia yet? It will tell you for sure if it is a card problem.

Given the number of crap cards out there these days it is the first thing I will do on every card I get now. I miss the days when as long as you bought Sandisk or Lexar they just worked, now it seems like they all have a large percentage of bad cards making it to the market. I guess that's the price we pay for cheap memory

haven't run it all the way thru yet - downloaded and started, but ran out of time. SanDisk replacing it so I'll run it on the new one that arrives.

SanDisk's RMA process pretty frustrating here in the UK - have to post (at my expense) to Czech Republic! and then wait up to 4 weeks for a replacement!? WTF?

Anthony East

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
It's not just Windows 8 phones that have problems with Sandisk SD Cards, they go wrong in Samsung Android phones too. The answer appears to be buy only genuine Samsung SD Cards, class 10, and these seem to work just fine. Having said that, it definitely applies to 32GB cards but I have no information about 64GB ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans