Samsung ATIV S problems

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung 32gb class 10 card that has 0 problems. I bought this card when I replaced the memory to my old HTC 7 Pro. For that device it was a PITA to find memory that didnt cause problems as it was the whole internal memory. Then it was discovered that different brand memorys behaved differently, it really wasnt only about class. I think it might be a good idea to to head over to XDA of topics here about changing the internal memory to WP7 devices and what worked there.

Well I also have a 32Gb Samsung Cat10, does not work for my Ativ S. It could be that it is marginal, with some cards working, others not. Cat4 is actually faster in random read write operations, but slower when you have larger files.

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Documentation included with my ATIV S (Canadian variation) says that my ATIV S is expandable up to 64 GB...It sounds like large capacity 32 GB class-4 cards are available if you look around online, but any local retailer I've looked at has all class-10 once you hit 32 GB. And 64 GB Class 4 microSD card? Good luck with that.
So yeah...fix that...improve compatibility. Maybe the Samsung Testing Lab guys have a bunch of 64 GB class-4 cards lying around to test with, but I don't know anyone else that does.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
When searching suitable memory to the 7 Pro, I ran speed tests to many cards. Some class 2 cards were faster than class 4 etc. A lot of talk about this can be found at XDA. This specific Samsung card was really solid and good performer in all operations.

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My 64GB Sandisk Class 10 works perfect. That said I also completely wiped all partitions on it and then formatted it exFat before putting it in my phone.

LuigiPh

May 5, 2013
Visit site
mine ativ get shot too when I use intensively whatsapp......but as sooner it gets hot as sooner it becomes normal after a little break

LuigiPh

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and I'm itlaian so I'm sorry for my english (i'm trying to improve it, and I'll be grateful if any of you will correct my possible errors)
I'm writing here to ask to any of you an opinion about a problem I have
Sometimes my ativ s doesn't respond to the physical buttons, I mean that sometimes no buttons awake it and I must press the power button for a long time to reebot it or I must remove the battery
Does it happen to any of you? Do you suggest me to send it to a samsung care point?
Thank you

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The lower left corner of my phone where the back button is sinks a little when I press it sometimes.
It's very subtle, but you can definitely feel it if you press the back button hard enough.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 microSD and it works fine. Some apps will show you the transfer rate when copying files. I get anywhere between 20-30MB/s which is about class 10 speed, so the phone definitely supports class 10 transfer rates. The card was preformatted with FAT32, but I needed to put 4GB+ files on there, so I reformatted it as exFAT.

When you play some games, like Modern Combat 4 for extended periods of time, the phone gets extremely hot where the microSD card is. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close or even exceeds the maximum safe operating temerature (85 ?C or 185?F) of the card, thus killing it. The Galaxy s3 has a similar problem. People have reported taking out the card on the s3 at maximum temperature, and it is as soft and flexable :D.

The home button, if you don't press it directly in the middle, feels like it can break over time. You can hear that the sound isn't normal when you press down on it from the left or right edge of the button.

Battery life in my opinion, is much better than my Samsung Focus. I'd say it's 1.5x - 2x better in some instances.

I have the Canadian version, on the celluar speed selection menu, 3G is called 4G for some reason.
The following options are available: 2G, 4G, and LTE.

Reception is good in my area, so I haven't had any reboots due to that issue. I did manage to crash the phone and it rebooted while running some buggy apps though. My Samsung Focus reboots itself like several times a day ever since the Windows Phone 7.8 update.

The screen is Super AMOLED HD, which is prone to screen burn in. I have very slight burn in which I notice when I use the phone in the dark on the lowest brightness setting. The address bar in Internet Exporer and the outline of the tiles on the home screen. It's very minor, and it is hard to spot unless you're actively trying to look for it.

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and I'm itlaian so I'm sorry for my english (i'm trying to improve it, and I'll be grateful if any of you will correct my possible errors)
I'm writing here to ask to any of you an opinion about a problem I have
Sometimes my ativ s doesn't respond to the physical buttons, I mean that sometimes no buttons awake it and I must press the power button for a long time to reebot it or I must remove the battery
Does it happen to any of you? Do you suggest me to send it to a samsung care point?
Thank you

Yes. Could be related to SkyDrive preview in Albums, I renamed all my SkyDrive folders to the point they no longer show up in Albums (a few times). That seems to help quite a bit. I SkyDrive app if I need SkyDrive.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Phones great and is 2 weeks old but seems to die really quickly once you start using any application. only have 3g on, Bluetooth, nfc, wireless are all turned off. only have 4 apps running in the background. any suggestions

FlameToFace

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I just got my phone about a week ago now, and using a 32GB class 10 Sandisk Ultra (High Speed) micro SDHC in my Ativ S with Telus in Canada. I tend to about once a day have my card kind of stop responding to the phone. To the point where the phone wont even power off, just says GoodBye and sits there, so if I do a hard reboot on it. When it boots up it says there may be a problem with the card and to put it into a computer and try to fix it. Computer always does a test and says its fine, so back in the phone it goes and the cycle starts again.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
There's been many issues with bad cards in the forums for not just WP. Some work fine and some don't with no trend in make nor model. It's pretty much buyer beware and trial and error. Also make sure you have the latest updates and format the card in the phone. Some posted that it helped them.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

NikosNx

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
My question is a bit silly.. If I buy a SONY MICRO SDHC 16GB class 10 what are the possibilities to have problems? Are class 10 microSD's problematic with this device in general or some specific models/brands cause problems?

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello!
My question is a bit silly.. If I buy a SONY MICRO SDHC 16GB class 10 what are the possibilities to have problems? Are class 10 microSD's problematic with this device in general or some specific models/brands cause problems?
The LTE version of the Ativ S is cat10 certified, the GSM version cat4. A cat10 may or may not work in a i8750 GSM Ativ S.

swift12345

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody i have bougth a ativ s
I want to know how i can get my Windows mail on my phone
and wich e mail i need to use to connect to Microsoft

Thanks already

swift12345

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody i have bougth a ativ s
I want to know how i can get my Windows mail on my phone