Internet Sharing with an ATIV S (I8750 or T889M) on AT&T?

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
hi peter reading your post again and then looking at the Samsung apn app I installed, the description says "Verizon apn" and I searched some more and could not find a samsun apn app with at&t settings

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Peter
Thank you so much, I'm getting closer to hopefully reenabling this feature I so desperately need and the link you sent me was the correct Samsung apn app to use, would you believe there are TWO apn Samsung apps floating out there lol, so I installed and attempted to do your instructions like you said and still no such luck.

Should I delete my existing phone apn settings over in the "cellular" menu first?

I did that and then ran the apn app made the small adjustments (btw there are 3 settings in that app) and still not working 😐 and not only that my mms and internet didn't work at all once I deleted them,
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

GoodDayToDie

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A little off-topic, but have people been able to get "Internet Sharing" to work on T-Mobile US using the SGH-T899M? It refuses to work for me (claims there's no mobile data connection to share... even if I'm streaming music over that exact connection at the very moment). Here's what I did:

Bought a SIM-unlocked SGH-T899M handset off of Amazon.
Pulled the T-Mobile SIM (which had originally provided a contract plan, but had been switched over to their new $50 unlimited plan which includes 500MB of tethered data/month a month prior) out of my HD7, cut it down to MicroSIM size, and installed it.
Booted the phone up, noted the immediate recognition of the T-Mobile network including the HSPA+ 4G (no LTE in my region yet, but it's coming).
Tested the data connection; it worked great.
Opened the Internet Sharing Settings app, and tapped the toggle.
Got the "Connection not shared: There's no mobile data connection to share at the moment. Check your mobile settings and signal, and try again." error.
Checked the mobile settings (including APN) and signal, and tried again (same result).
Rebooted the phone, set the APN manually, and tried a number of other things (same result).
Took the phone to T-Mobile, they set custom APNs, tested settings, and tried again (same result).
Replaced my old (originally 3G MiniSIM) with a new and modern T-Mobile MicroSIM.
Booted phone with the new SIM, tried the data connection again (still worked) and then Internet Sharing again (still didn't).

This is getting really frustrating... My next step is to take it to a MS Store (I'm lucky enough to live near one) and they said they can spend a couple hours running a battery of tests on the phone, but I'd really prefer it if there was a fix I could do myself...

Thanks in advance!

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
A little off-topic, but have people been able to get "Internet Sharing" to work on T-Mobile US using the SGH-T899M? It refuses to work for me (claims there's no mobile data connection to share... even if I'm streaming music over that exact connection at the very moment). Here's what I did:

Bought a SIM-unlocked SGH-T899M handset off of Amazon.
Pulled the T-Mobile SIM (which had originally provided a contract plan, but had been switched over to their new $50 unlimited plan which includes 500MB of tethered data/month a month prior) out of my HD7, cut it down to MicroSIM size, and installed it.
Booted the phone up, noted the immediate recognition of the T-Mobile network including the HSPA+ 4G (no LTE in my region yet, but it's coming).
Tested the data connection; it worked great.
Opened the Internet Sharing Settings app, and tapped the toggle.
Got the "Connection not shared: There's no mobile data connection to share at the moment. Check your mobile settings and signal, and try again." error.
Checked the mobile settings (including APN) and signal, and tried again (same result).
Rebooted the phone, set the APN manually, and tried a number of other things (same result).
Took the phone to T-Mobile, they set custom APNs, tested settings, and tried again (same result).
Replaced my old (originally 3G MiniSIM) with a new and modern T-Mobile MicroSIM.
Booted phone with the new SIM, tried the data connection again (still worked) and then Internet Sharing again (still didn't).

This is getting really frustrating... My next step is to take it to a MS Store (I'm lucky enough to live near one) and they said they can spend a couple hours running a battery of tests on the phone, but I'd really prefer it if there was a fix I could do myself...

Thanks in advance!

You have to screw around in the "apn" app from samsung to fix this issue.

apn | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

When I tried the ATIV S out (on AT&T) it gave me the same message but I was able to get it working. I posted here what I did.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/214691-sgh-t899m-t.html#post1906895

I believe the "ATT Broadband" APN had a different APN type set than the internet APN.

GoodDayToDie

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've tried setting custom APNs using the built-in Settings hub tool, the APNs app from the store, and the Diagnosis app (##634#, *#9908#). None of that worked. I've tried three different T-Mobile US APNs (epc.tmobile.com, which is the standard one; fast.tmobile.com, which is apparently new for LTE devices, and some older one that might have been voicestream or something...). I've tested the SIM in another phone (Internet Sharing works there).

I also tried swapping SIMs with somebody else who had the same plan as me. They were able to do WiFi Hotspot sharing (Android phone) using either their SIM or mine. I was unable to do it using either SIM. From this, I figure it must be a firmware issue.

Can anybody with a T899M that has working Internet Sharing (regardless of carrier) please compare these version numbers with your own (from Settings -> About -> More Info)?
Firmware: 2212.12.12.2
Hardware: 15.3.1.0
Radio: 2212.12.12.2
Bootloader: 12.12.20.17
SOC: 1.5.32

The most likely ones to matter are Firmware/Radio, but please check them all. Also, for good measure, the phone was originally set up for
Carrier: TELUS Communications Company.

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping when we all get this firmware update it will solve our internetsharing problems but I now have an idea, what about stock ativ s roms out there? like is there an international ativ s rom that is carrier free? what if we put a different stock rom on our phones and maybe we can finally get internet sharing to work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99