My experience so far with the Ativ S.....as an mp3 player.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up an Ativ S a few days ago to use as an mp3 player, traded my old iPod and a Galaxy Nexus for it (this guy REALLY hated Windows Phone). Didn't want to give up my xbox music pass for iTunes or anything so decided to try out a Windows Phone as just an mp3 player.

I've read that some people have had issues with micro sd cards in the Ativ S, so far my experience with that has been mixed. I used the Windows Desktop app (latest version) to sync my iTunes library to the sd card. 7600 songs took 5 hours! Is that normal? I really wish there was another app I could use for that if so.

So after that finished I had something like 2 GB left on the sd card, so in the storage settings I selected the option to download new music and videos to the phone since I had lots of free space on it. This was apparently a bad idea. Downloaded some music from the store since I have an Xbox music pass, and after it finished downloading I went to select the artist I just download and......the phone freezes. But only for about 10 seconds, then the music app crashed. Ok whatever I'll just reboot the phone. Nope. Stuck on the goodbye screen. Waited 5 minutes and ended up taking the battery out.

Ok so the phone boots back up and re-download the artist I wanted. Go into settings to turn wifi off and....phone frickin freezes again, stuck on a black screen and only for about 10 seconds until it crashes back to the Start screen. So now I can't do anything on my phone. Took the sd card out and pulled the battery out, turned the phone back on without the card and voila it works perfectly! Stuck the sd card back in, changed the option in storage to save all music and video to the sd card and haven't had an issue. Strangely though, now whenever I download a new song or album it is saved to the phone and not card. WTH?

Ok so anyways I have a working mp3 player, now I actually get to start listening to music. Except now I'm greeted with random popping noises during playback. Tried different headphones, same thing.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

It's times like this I really miss the Zune.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Limited to 64GB, plus have you seen how expensive they are? I doubt I could have sold my Galaxy Nexus and iPod separately and get enough to buy one.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

I used to have a class 2 32gig card in my Samsung focus and it showed a little bit of slowdown but it ran well. It used to be a problem if you put in a class of card that was much faster than the internal memory because of how it paired the two together as one block of memory. I know that wp8 is different by using a type of flash memory that is much faster so I would expect a class 10 to have very little problems.

My only suggestion at this point is to try a different SD card. Maybe a much smaller one just to see if it performs differently. You could at least rule out a defective SD slot by filling up a 16gig SD and trying that.

sheybass

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Class 10, this guy right here: Kingston MicroSDXC Card, Class 10, 64GB w/ Adapter at Memory Express
This right here might be the problem. I think the Ativ S is only expandable to 32GB of external storage. You using 64GB is very likely what is making it to act up. Check the phone specifications here

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
>>7600 songs took 5 hours! Is that normal?

Maybe, but in my opinion you don't necessarily need to sync all your songs into the device at once, just several albums one time, and some other albums next time, etc.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
yes the ativ s is limited to 32 gig of external storage so probably putting a 64 gig card is making your phone freeze and act strange.

splatoid

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32 gig SD card and I synced about 25 gigs from my Zune library. After about two days went to play some music and the only two things in library were unknown and on CD from Therion.
But if you go to genres it shows my complete library but in single songs. I go through all my music file and make sure they are all tagged with tag and rename. So they are all perfect. I used the windows media player to sync. So I tried to copy direct from computer to sd card and it didn't even show up. So I made a new library and synced it again and this time I had just started up the music as I was heading out the door and it stopped in the middle of a sone took it out of my pocket and the phone was off. Restarted the phone and all the library is gone again except unknown and Tristania. All I can say is I'm glad I still have my zune's. Also that has been the first my phone has shut down. I was going to give this phone to my wife and take back my Rezound but now I don't feel right about doing that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You have my respect, people are often incredulous when I say I use cell phones for literally everything except the phone. (No service)

But just as an mp3 player, :amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)