Ativ S on Wind Mobile In Canada?

gtp20

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been wanting to purchase the Ativ S for some time now but I just can't find a strait answer as to whether or not it will work on Wind Mobile?

I put an ad up on kijiji and I've had people email me that it works and some say it doesn't. One person sent me a picture of the side of the box and it had written on it 'hsdpa (850/1700/1900/2100)'. I'm not sure which carrier it was originally from.

I've come across the Ativ S from Roger, Bell and Telus but again I'm not sure if they are all the same and no one selling them that I've asked know if they work on Wind.

Can anyone help me with this? I've spent hours searching the net for an answer, I even went into a Wind store and they couldn't tell me (They had absolutely no idea)

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, do you mind posting that "picture"

It would mostly be from Bell as they are the only one with that listing as well Specifications - Samsung ATIV S from Bell Mobility | Bell Canada

Although I do find it funny that on Rogers and Telus, they don't list that same specifications as Bell does but this post is intriguing though http://forums.windowscentral.com/sa...tiv-s-rogers-unlocked-running-tmobile-4g.html

If it's the T899M model then I believe it should be pentaband and will work.

Hope that helps and never go to wind store, they don't know jack >.>

gtp20

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply WavingsRed,

The guy that sent me this picture said the phone was originally locked to Rogers. I also went on all three carriers websites and Bell is the only one of the three that lists hspa/umts 850/1700/1900/2100 MHz. on their site.

photo%u00252B%25281%2529.JPG

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well let's look at a couple things first.

ativ s bands.jpg

A quick look at the specifications which are from the Telus site but should be the same in Canada. As a side note the "AWS (Band IV)" is the 1700MHz frequency. Now we have a look at winds site.

windphone.jpg

wind uses AWS/1700 MHz/BandIV which as you can see this phone supports.So judging by all of this support material I would believe it to work.

gtp20

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you pedenske,

I didn't realize AWS (band IV) was equal to 1700MHz. This was helpful. The picture from the Wind site says Wind used AWS, all the specs for their phones say UMTS band... then the actual boxes the phones come in say HSDPA or HSPA. Its all very confusing when you don't understand the difference.

Thanks for the reply.

gtp20

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I purchased an Ativ S earlier this week that was locked to Telus. I had the phone unlocked and am happy to report it works on Wind Mobile just fine.

yaztaz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
HI,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I went to the wind store earlier and tried to test the wind sim card although the phone is unlocked the wind store insisted that it wont work. Is there any other modifications or settings that i have to apply to make it work with wind

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Did they actually let you test the Micro SIM to see if it would work? You'd likely have to play around with APN settings for their 3G data, but there's no point in doing that until the SIM is in.

yaztaz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes they did let me put a Sim card in and tried to test it when i searched for networks I got a bunch of list such as wind away and wind -4G,3G,LTE. I picked 4G and nothing happened. Do you think that there is a couple of settings that has to be done before it could read the wind Sim.

I am sure it will work I read and searched about this model working with T-mobile and wind but I have no idea why it is not working

If you have an info on the device please send it to my I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks,Mathew

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The photo near the top of the thread has all of the network specifications, but I'll type it out since the image sort of cuts it off.

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz,
Quad band HSDPA 850/1700/1900/2100MHz
A band LTE AWS (another user said that this also means Band IV), though WIND doesn't use LTE as of yet.

Some 4G speeds may not be available. It's likely that you will have to go with 3G. Or, if you pick "Automatic," it should find the nearest tower that gives you the best reception.

If you need to manually configure APN and MMS settings, this should (hopefully) help - you will only need to do this if you are connected to their network, but can't seem to get mobile data:
http://www2.windmobile.ca/media/pdfs/Non-WIND/Non-WIND_Device_Configuration.pdf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99