DIY Qi Wireless charging mod for the Samsung Ativ S for $16.-

Ikkari

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I did a small wireless charging mod for my Ativ S some time ago and wanted to share my results with you.

I bought this QI wireless charging Tag receiver from ebay:
Qi Wireless Charging Tag Receiver for Samsung Galaxy NOTE2 N7100 N7108 Coil CGN | eBay

The mod was pretty simple, but you have open the phone to solder the charging tag directly to the Micro-USB-Port... Maybe there
are different spots where you can connect the tag... I tried to wire it directly to the battery connectors but the phone didn't realized it was charing.

Also I cut the the tag a little bit down after installation... now it fits perfectly with the original backplate.. I will add a photo when I have a little bit time left...

I'm taking no responsibility if you mod your phone and damage it... Mine is working and charging fine since 1 month... both on cable and on the Nokia charing station..
Everything works like it did before, Battery-life, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Calling, ....

Attachments

• WP_20130407_011.jpg
    WP_20130407_011.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 190
  • WP_20130407_020.jpg
    WP_20130407_020.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 121
  • WP_20130407_024.jpg
    WP_20130407_024.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 95

Carlos Alfredo Diaz

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried any alternative Qi charging Tag? It seems that the Ativ S has the charging ports below the battery as opposed to on the right side, so I'm wondering if finding a tag made for a phone that also has the ports below the battery might prevent having to solder the cables on the micro-USB port.

xyronaut

May 6, 2013
Visit site
so I'm wondering if finding a tag made for a phone that also has the ports below the battery might prevent having to solder the cables on the micro-USB port.

Exactly what I'm thinking of. Now I wish I'd have a personal 3d printer to build my own custom Ativ S casing implanted with qi charging element. :D

mrmrks

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm also very interested in qi charging with the ativ s and would highly appreciate it if any owner coul check those two pins :)
What is interesting: my omnia 7 has the same pins below the battery... sadly i don't have a multimeter to check them!

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Here are the best pictures of the charging connector part i could find: Plug The Cable End Spare Parts for Samsung I8750,Replacement Repair Parts - TRAIT TECH - Wholesale CellPhone Cases - China Wholesale - Dropship From China
And here is a high quality picture without the backcover: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/images/gallery/ativs/i.jpg

Hope those help to solve the mystery of the missing qi charging pins ;)

I need a picture of the whole backside with the plastic off, not the cover, pretty much the first pic from the op.. but all of the phone.
It should be highres though as the resistors etc are very very tiny, depending on where the ports are it could be to hard to identify the wireless charging ports, if it even has any.

The pins on the Picture are not the wireless charging ports, so don't even try it.

QTFvV0b.jpg

You can pretty much see where the actual Charging Pins should be, if there is absolutly nothing, not even flat pins to solder on then the OP way is the way to go, though you do not need to ground on the charging port, you can ground anywhere on the metal on the case like the sim/sd card case, though i would probably use a very small resistor 2-3OHM just in case, so weird peaks from the wireless charger don't kill your usb functions (i don't know if that's required with the Qi tags, but it doesn't hurt.. you just get a bit less efficency for more safety)

Last edited:

q21701

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can guess, it seems like the pins are there, you just need a dremel tool or sharp knife to cut through the case and expose the pins. Assuming Sprint releases the Ativ S, I will be trying this with my phone.

Kant1

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, (sorry for may bad english, I'm French ^^ )

I scratch my screen (the glass and the screen) this week end so I disassembly my Ativ S to know if I can remplace it. And I think "Oh, if if I took the opportunity to know a little bit more on thoses pins ?" so I cheked out. I'm sorry guyz but thoses pins are the alimentation of the speaker wich is in the plastic rear. When you remove it you can see the two contacts "+" and "-" on the plastic part.

The ATIV is really simple to disassemble (only 7 screws !!) but for remove the AMOLED ... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: !!!!! It's glued on the plastic !! Anyway I will go on ebay to buy a new screen ... 150? :cry:

eazy2001x

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
someone should buy a bunch of charging ports and mod them.. but question.. whats stopping you from using the pins on the battery and soldering the wires to the battery for wireless charging then wrap the charging pad to the battery. this will not be intrusive to the phone and can be removed with the replacement of your battery. Your thoughts? My only thought is overcharging the battery? Not sure if the charging side can view the voltage of the battery and stop it from charging. If so then this idea is a win.

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
a quick question.
would it be possible to take a MALE micro usb connector and solder the adapter wires to it, then plug it in to the usb port in the device
just like plugging in any usb cable?
instead of soldering the wires to the device itself? should work. i think i'll give it a try.

also i want to mod my car holder with a wireless charging port
how close does the device need to be to the charger in order to charge?
if i put a 5mm plastic bracket between the device and the charger would it still charge?

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
That could work, it would be like the wireless charging iPhone cases, where the cases have the conductive coil but it uses the iPhone port in order to achieve conductive charging

darkjamzi

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

could you please tell me to which connections this was soldered? The pic doesn't really show which ones to take on the usb port.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss