06-28-2014 07:54 AM
27 12
tools
    I did a small wireless charging mod for my Ativ S some time ago and wanted to share my results with you.

I bought this QI wireless charging Tag receiver from ebay:
    Qi Wireless Charging Tag Receiver for Samsung Galaxy NOTE2 N7100 N7108 Coil CGN | eBay

The mod was pretty simple, but you have open the phone to solder the charging tag directly to the Micro-USB-Port... Maybe there
    are different spots where you can connect the tag... I tried to wire it directly to the battery connectors but the phone didn't realized it was charing.

Also I cut the the tag a little bit down after installation... now it fits perfectly with the original backplate.. I will add a photo when I have a little bit time left...

I'm taking no responsibility if you mod your phone and damage it... Mine is working and charging fine since 1 month... both on cable and on the Nokia charing station..
    Everything works like it did before, Battery-life, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Calling, ....
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20130407_011.jpg   wp_20130407_020.jpg   wp_20130407_024.jpg  
    05-08-2013 02:53 AM
    Nice work
    05-08-2013 03:21 AM
    Aren't the two gold tabs above the USB connection for wireless charging? The galaxy S3 has similar tabs that are used for the wireless charger. See this video
    Last edited by q21701; 05-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    05-25-2013 04:34 PM
    Here is another image of the charging portcharging-cable.jpg
    05-25-2013 05:10 PM
    Has anyone tried any alternative Qi charging Tag? It seems that the Ativ S has the charging ports below the battery as opposed to on the right side, so I'm wondering if finding a tag made for a phone that also has the ports below the battery might prevent having to solder the cables on the micro-USB port.
    06-07-2013 12:05 AM
    so I'm wondering if finding a tag made for a phone that also has the ports below the battery might prevent having to solder the cables on the micro-USB port.
    Exactly what I'm thinking of. Now I wish I'd have a personal 3d printer to build my own custom Ativ S casing implanted with qi charging element. :D
    06-07-2013 12:18 AM
    Hu, that's an interesting idea. Although it depends on whether anyone knows (and can confirm) if those tho gold pins work.
    06-07-2013 12:59 AM
    I'm also very interested in qi charging with the ativ s and would highly appreciate it if any owner coul check those two pins :)
    What is interesting: my omnia 7 has the same pins below the battery... sadly i don't have a multimeter to check them!
    06-09-2013 05:52 AM
    Anyone has a Teardown of the Ativ S or a high quality image of the plastic off of the whole device?
    06-12-2013 05:51 AM
    Here are the best pictures of the charging connector part i could find: Plug The Cable End Spare Parts for Samsung I8750,Replacement Repair Parts - TRAIT TECH - Wholesale CellPhone Cases - China Wholesale - Dropship From China
    And here is a high quality picture without the backcover: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/imag...ry/ativs/i.jpg

Hope those help to solve the mystery of the missing qi charging pins ;)
    06-12-2013 07:09 AM
    Here are the best pictures of the charging connector part i could find: Plug The Cable End Spare Parts for Samsung I8750,Replacement Repair Parts - TRAIT TECH - Wholesale CellPhone Cases - China Wholesale - Dropship From China
    And here is a high quality picture without the backcover: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/imag...ry/ativs/i.jpg

Hope those help to solve the mystery of the missing qi charging pins ;)
    I need a picture of the whole backside with the plastic off, not the cover, pretty much the first pic from the op.. but all of the phone.
    It should be highres though as the resistors etc are very very tiny, depending on where the ports are it could be to hard to identify the wireless charging ports, if it even has any.

The pins on the Picture are not the wireless charging ports, so don't even try it.

You can pretty much see where the actual Charging Pins should be, if there is absolutly nothing, not even flat pins to solder on then the OP way is the way to go, though you do not need to ground on the charging port, you can ground anywhere on the metal on the case like the sim/sd card case, though i would probably use a very small resistor 2-3OHM just in case, so weird peaks from the wireless charger don't kill your usb functions (i don't know if that's required with the Qi tags, but it doesn't hurt.. you just get a bit less efficency for more safety)
    Last edited by Storl; 06-12-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    06-12-2013 07:53 AM
    So, I just received my Ativ S, I'll try to tear it down and see if there are ports there.
    06-14-2013 11:43 AM
    As far as I can guess, it seems like the pins are there, you just need a dremel tool or sharp knife to cut through the case and expose the pins. Assuming Sprint releases the Ativ S, I will be trying this with my phone.
    06-20-2013 02:33 PM
    Hi, (sorry for may bad english, I'm French ^^ )

I scratch my screen (the glass and the screen) this week end so I disassembly my Ativ S to know if I can remplace it. And I think "Oh, if if I took the opportunity to know a little bit more on thoses pins ?" so I cheked out. I'm sorry guyz but thoses pins are the alimentation of the speaker wich is in the plastic rear. When you remove it you can see the two contacts "+" and "-" on the plastic part.

The ATIV is really simple to disassemble (only 7 screws !!) but for remove the AMOLED ... !!!!! It's glued on the plastic !! Anyway I will go on ebay to buy a new screen ... 150
    06-25-2013 04:09 AM
    So, I just received my Ativ S, I'll try to tear it down and see if there are ports there.
    did you already tear your ativ s apart? Im still Vers interested if there is any more comfortable Solution than the one desceibed in the op!
    06-27-2013 03:14 AM
    Hi guys
    I found this video

The pins of charging port are covered another board. And I think, that pins aren't for wireless charging, are they?
    WinSammie likes this.
    07-16-2013 02:02 AM
    someone should buy a bunch of charging ports and mod them.. but question.. whats stopping you from using the pins on the battery and soldering the wires to the battery for wireless charging then wrap the charging pad to the battery. this will not be intrusive to the phone and can be removed with the replacement of your battery. Your thoughts? My only thought is overcharging the battery? Not sure if the charging side can view the voltage of the battery and stop it from charging. If so then this idea is a win.
    08-28-2013 12:40 PM
    a quick question.
    would it be possible to take a MALE micro usb connector and solder the adapter wires to it, then plug it in to the usb port in the device
    just like plugging in any usb cable?
    instead of soldering the wires to the device itself? should work. i think i'll give it a try.

also i want to mod my car holder with a wireless charging port
    how close does the device need to be to the charger in order to charge?
    if i put a 5mm plastic bracket between the device and the charger would it still charge?
    08-30-2013 08:02 PM
    That could work, it would be like the wireless charging iPhone cases, where the cases have the conductive coil but it uses the iPhone port in order to achieve conductive charging
    08-30-2013 08:17 PM
    Hi,

could you please tell me to which connections this was soldered? The pic doesn't really show which ones to take on the usb port.

Thanks!
    09-08-2013 06:24 AM
    did this go dead?
    11-11-2013 02:58 PM
    Did anyone find out witch pins to attach the wires to?

thanks in advance for any help

Mike
    11-20-2013 12:47 PM
    Few days ago a receive replacement for USB port for my ATIV S. After connecting my charger I got "-" on the casing and "+" on pin with arrow pointing on it.
    http://sdrv.ms/1cH7wEp
    11-20-2013 06:42 PM
    Thanks very much Michal, that is what I needed!

Mike
    11-20-2013 08:18 PM
    Think I found an even cheaper Qi receiver on ebay, $6,- only, there are many providers for it (search for Universal QI Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Pad Coil for micro-USB mobile).
    It connects to the micro-USB from the outside, so no soldering necessary (of course you don't have access to your micro-USB after mounting this). You can put the receiver inside the Phone or, if you use some kind of protective case, between the Phone and the case. I've ordered one and if it works I can alway decide to cut off the micro usb and solder it directly like the OP did, to have access to the micro-USB again. Results will follow!
    Attached Thumbnails 191177692680_1.jpg  
    06-06-2014 08:31 AM
27 12