Ativ S shuts down!

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
So I have an Ativ S for 3 days now and randomly shuts down!
He don't even power up with power button until I remove battery!!!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Its okay it actually not the Ativ S's fault its a common error amongst all WP8 phones where Radio communications cause the phone to freeze.
Most commonly (using Bluetooth headsets, Charging while Wifi is on , or using Music services while doing some things (Its really a mystery for whats exactly the cause for this ) some apps may increase the frequency of the shuts like Whatsapp (I haven't tested it in a while and I hear it stopped doing so.)
My recommendation is to ask for a replacement or a fix (which is mainly a software update) .
meanwhile you can restart the device without removing the battery by doing a soft reset (Check my signature : Have a quick laugh) for the method.
It doesn't wipe any data or resets anything but brings the phone to life , (And it may screw up time & date so be mindful of that.)
another recommendation would be to return the Ativ S and go for the Lumia521 or the Lumia720 as both are better equipped in almost everyway specially app wise/camera wise/ Build quality wise.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Its okay it actually not the Ativ S's fault its a common error amongst all WP8 phones where Radio communications cause the phone to freeze.
Most commonly (using Bluetooth headsets, Charging while Wifi is on , or using Music services while doing some things (Its really a mystery for whats exactly the cause for this ) some apps may increase the frequency of the shuts like Whatsapp (I haven't tested it in a while and I hear it stopped doing so.)
My recommendation is to ask for a replacement or a fix (which is mainly a software update) .
meanwhile you can restart the device without removing the battery by doing a soft reset (Check my signature : Have a quick laugh) for the method.
It doesn't wipe any data or resets anything but brings the phone to life , (And it may screw up time & date so be mindful of that.)
another recommendation would be to return the Ativ S and go for the Lumia521 or the Lumia720 as both are better equipped in almost everyway specially app wise/camera wise/ Build quality wise.

I've owned 5 WP8 devices and never once encountered this.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a L820 and never got any shutdowns! Nor that network related problem you said. So I'm guessing its a Samsung hardware problem with some software or firmware.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Ativ s for over a month & never had such experience. Product defect maybe?

I hope so, cause it's annoying.
Even Alarm not working when he shuts and need to remove and put back battery so he can turn on... Imagine how stressfull it is you thinking (sleeping time) it will snooze at morning and it doesnt!
Not to mention during the day you think you're avalible then u realize your phone is off

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I only ever had my ATIV S reboot once and it was the network related issue, hasn't done it since then though.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Never had this happen on my Nokia Lumia 810 or my Nokia Lumia 920. I bet it's a Samsung thing... Seems the Ativ S is mimicking its Samsung Android brothers.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Never had this happen on my Nokia Lumia 810 or my Nokia Lumia 920. I bet it's a Samsung thing... Seems the Ativ S is mimicking its Samsung Android brothers.

Possibly, but Nokia Lumia phones have more issues than simple random reboots. On a side note though, this is the Samsung ATIV S section not the Windows Phone 8 section of these forums.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Yup. Its all WP8 devices. I've had a Lumia 920, 820, and HTC 8X. All have had random reboots at times. Its definitely not one device, its something with the OS.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Its all WP8 devices. I've had a Lumia 920, 820, and HTC 8X. All have had random reboots at times. Its definitely not one device, its something with the OS.

I currently own 6 windows phone devices, 5 of which are wp8 and the only one I have any issues with is the ativ S. I'd say it's Samsung as they couldn't care less for wp8.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
We're not talking about reboots with the Atic S, it shut down and you have remove battery to power on again.
Anyways, I'll tell my story so far.
I went to Samsung technical assistance and they replaced the circuit board according to the report I have but, I have the phone for 2 days now and also happened 2 shuts down so far.
So... I'm clue less...
Maybe I'll factory reset and install one app at day to see if can relate this problem to any app I'm using....

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The last shut I was using UC Browser then the phone went sleep mode and when I pressed power to wake it it was dead again...

Benny Lim1

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem for sometime. Tried many things. Finally got a can of contact cleaner spray. Clean the battery and the phone battery pins. So far it works. No problem for 3 weeks now.:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720