ATIV S most noticed Windows Phone

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I loved the Focus S. It was my favorite WP7 model and I had no issues with it as a daily driver. I wanted a Ativ S but they were unavailable and overpriced. Now, I can get one for under $300US. I'm very tempted to replace my 810 wth it, even though 4.3" is my sweet spot screen wise.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how people are able to tell the difference between one Galaxy anonophone and another.

I'm still trying to work out why Nokia fanboys are posting in the ATIV S section, surely with all the Nokia anonophones out there there's a section for each of you!!!!

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Happens to me a lot. Since no carrier sells Ativ here, even sellers from specialized stores asked about the phone when I was trying to find a case or protector foil for it. Is it a Galaxy 3? 4? I never heard of Samsung making Windows phones :))

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
It looks like just another android phone. At least HTC had the uniformity to create one of the most beautiful (albeit faulty) devices to date. The Ativ looks like a galaxy s3 that someone flashed Windows Phone onto.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It looks like just another android phone. At least HTC had the uniformity to create one of the most beautiful (albeit faulty) devices to date. The Ativ looks like a galaxy s3 that someone flashed Windows Phone onto.

You've never seen a Galaxy S3 then, more to the point I thought you were a Nokia user so why bother posting in the forum section for a phone you seem to hate anyway!!!!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You've never seen a Galaxy S3 then, more to the point I thought you were a Nokia user so why bother posting in the forum section for a phone you seem to hate anyway!!!!

I've owned a galaxy s3, doesn't change the fact at all. It looks like another android phone except with a windows logo on the button

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Then you obviously didn't use it that long as the ATIV S looks more like a Galaxy Note 2 than an S3!!!!

why would I use it long? It was an android phone without the redeeming qualities of the HTC one and it felt like a fisher price toy. The ativ S feels just like a galaxy s3 variant

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The ativ S feels just like a galaxy s3 variant

No one disputes this, not even Samsung. OG Focus = Samsung Galaxy S variant, Focus S = SGS2 variant. It doesn't mean that they and the Ativ S are bad phones, it just means Samsung spent their money wisely and modified an existing concept to fit MSFT's hardware requirements. If the S3 was selling so-so, I betcha AT&T would have picked up the Ativ S and it would have sold decently in the US. No reason for Samsung to kill a bird in hand (S3) for a potentially good seller (Ativ S).

I still say the Ativ S is a sweet phone and would gladly own one if I wasn't in the midst of my photography itch and want a Lumia 92x or 1020 for those reasons.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
went from samsung focus to samsung ativ s and have not looked back. absolutely love the ativ. i was worried that the screen size would make it feel awkward, but it is so light and thin. completely comfortable to hold.

saamlee92

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
really nice to hear all thisthings. I bought one today and think it'll be here on wednesday. i was seriously thinking in getting a 920 but wanted the biggest screen.
By the way, do you know any nice cover/case for the phone?? also, this is my first post lol

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The main issue with Nokia having Windows Phones: Their fanboys are more annoying than iFans and Fandroids.

My review of the ATIV S after using it for 2 weeks:

They go to comparison videos (e.g Lumia 920 vs ATIV S) and when people say "Personally, I prefer the ATIV S because of removable battery, micro SD, etc" then they will reply "ATIV S doesn't have pureview, IPS LCD screen, super sensitive screen, wireless charging, Nokia Drive. ATIV S is made of cheap plastic. L920 is polycarbonate, more durable. Don't get the ATIV S!!"

Um, hello? Have you ever held an ATIV S in hand? I mean, sure the 920 is sturdy, but I always get that "I-need-to-put-this-phone-down-and-shake-off-my-hand-because-it-is-going-numb". ATIV S was made for your hand. The power button is high, yes but it is placed at a position where you would naturally hold the phone and your thumb will be at the power button. For a Samsung phone, it actually feels good in your hand. Heck, I prefer holding my ATIV to my 920 (8X is VERY slippery if you do not have a case). When you first hold your ATIV S, especially if you have owned a Lumia 920 previously, you would wonder what the heck Nokia put in the 920 which made it so heavy? The ATIV S is lighter and slimmer, and yet it outperforms the 920 in many aspects.

ATIV S users don't need Pureview cameras. That one surprising thing about the ATIV S? The camera is surprisingly, good. In fact, its great. It's camera performance stunned me for a Samsung phone. It performed better than the 8X in close-up shots (My 8X refused to focus. Not sure why) Although, yes the 920's close-up range is shorter, but the ATIV S is not far off. Its range differs from the 920 by a 1-2 centimetres. The front camera is great. Better than the Lumia 920 which would fail really badly at this. The 920's front camera produced blurry shots, especially with the top and botton of the picture being blurry. In front cameras, the HTC 8X triumphs, but its frame rate when using the front camera is annoyingly low. Result? Delayed shots and laggy reactions. The ATIV S, however, had much higher frame rates on both its front camera and its rear camera. Its rear camera was much smoother than the Lumia 920, which took me by surprise.

IPS LCD? What for? Samsung's Super AMOLED panel on the ATIV S manages to cut a few millimetres off the ATIV S. Its slick, and its deeper blacks out-perform the 920 under sunlight, which f**ks up the colors when brightness is set to automatic. Sure the ppi isn't that high but do we really need that much pixels per inch? When I had my Lumia 800 with 252ppi, I was fine, and in fact, looked clear to me. This kind of work on increasing ppi on screens should go to laptops and PCs, which really need 300+ ppi.

Wireless charging? So I buy a phone, then spend over $100 just so I can charge it without a cable? Unless you have a phobia of wires, this is unnecessary. Its just a luxury, not a necessity.

Nokia Drive? So you have a GPS, big deal. Work over at XDA has managed to allow us to download apps from other OEMs. So I'd rather get the ATIV S and download Nokia Apps than to buy a phone that I don't want, just for apps.

In conclusion, of my personal preference, I'd pick the ATIV S in a heartbeat. Its replaceable battery (I'd rather have this than wireless charging), microSD expansion and a removable battery door which previously, you had to go into the mid-range for, makes the ATIV S stand out in its own way. The fact that Samsung expanded the battery capacity and actually made plastic that REALLY looked like brushed aluminium makes this device, one of a kind. Sure, Samsung could have literally re-used the Galaxy S3's design, but they tried. They tried and they did it. They made a Windows Phone that is high-end and has a great look. If it weren't for Samsung, I wouldn't dare walk into an international board meeting with a yellow Lumia 920 which is just tacky for a business user. Samsung's increased support over Windows Phone in the past few weeks gives this device a chance. One good thing that is also a bad thing is that the device is underrated, which means that you can get the best Windows Phone 8 device currently in the market, for the price of a Lumia 620. Why good? This would boost sales. A very cheap high-end Windows Phone is something Nokia has not been able to pull off.

The ATIV S has room for improvement. Namely, more variety and Samsung's commitment and support for Windows Phone. A 32GB version was announced but never produced. LTE was announced but possibly? disabled. One thing I would've loved was maybe actual Aluminium on the battery door, and maybe a white version too.

The Samsung ATIV S scores a 9.4/10.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
really nice to hear all thisthings. I bought one today and think it'll be here on wednesday. i was seriously thinking in getting a 920 but wanted the biggest screen.
By the way, do you know any nice cover/case for the phone?? also, this is my first post lol

I use a Case mate Barely there case on mine as it doesn't add much to the size of the device itself.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ah... The Ativ S is still listed as available in many markets. In Switzerland it is no longer listed but very available over online stores and carriers. I find it also annoying that when I click on anything, I often get the S4 and not my selection. Fact is that Samsung has reduced S4 production, because they overestimated demand. Still, they are selling 16mio a month of the S4.

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I had someone ask me how I "Flashed" WP8 to a SGIII. I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to explain that the phone came with WP8 on it

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think of saying that. I will have to remember that one.

Tell them because it is so complicated to flash WP8 to Android phones, Samsung has a program where you pay a flat fee (the price for the Ativ S) where they will flash WP8 for you and throw in changing the shell of the phone too...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb