ATIV S most noticed Windows Phone

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You might guess that I am an avid WP user I have owned a bunch of WP's sense WP7 hit the streets. I got me a ATIV S a couple of weeks ago I will say I get a lot of comments and questions about it. I also have a L920 when I set it on the table in a restaurant no one ever asks about it. When I do the same thing with my ATIV S people are always asking me about the phone. Some are confused and ask me what Galaxy phone that is others are just asking what phone I have. This phone really gets peoples attention. Has anyone else noticed this?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, other than my classmates (who only go onto the Me tile and randomly post crap), no one's asked me about my 620.

Of course, that's a good thing. No-one would steal it from me. Snatchers are still a big problem in the Philippines.

version2

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I got me a ATIV S a couple of weeks ago I will say I get a lot of comments and questions about it. I also have a L920 when I set it on the table in a restaurant no one ever asks about it. When I do the same thing with my ATIV S people are always asking me about the phone.

Is it usual in States that people (strangers) are just coming and asking about phone??? I mean - in the homeland of commercials??? Just like i'm sitting with my girlfriend and having some drinks and then someone (totally unknown person for me) comes and asks about my phone??? Donno but i feel it even very disturbing:) Come on - i'm having conversation and i don't know even who u are.Mind ur own business - thats my answer.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Although in Finland (so big market share for Lumias), I've gotten fairly much queries about the 920 when it was just released and people were asking if it was a good buy etc. Same thing with my N8 (got more questions about that from strangers than with 920) back in the day.

Also I've had a few students in the university ask me about the Surface and even one of the professors asked about it once :D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it usual in States that people (strangers) are just coming and asking about phone??? I mean - in the homeland of commercials??? Just like i'm sitting with my girlfriend and having some drinks and then someone (totally unknown person for me) comes and asks about my phone??? Donno but i feel it even very disturbing:) Come on - i'm having conversation and i don't know even who u are.Mind ur own business - thats my answer.
I don't know if Dave means that strangers in a restaurant ask about his phone, or if friends/acquaintances/co-workers ask about it.

In most cases, strangers do not generally approach people in restaurants and ask about phones. However, people who know each other will notice new phones and ask about them. For instance, I recently attended a Linux user group meeting. I saw that one guy at the meeting had a Nokia 928, and I asked him about it. Another guy asked me about my Nokia 900. I didn't think it was odd, since I know these people.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't stop someone if they were obviously busy with someone else and break a conversation up just to ask about a phone. But I have asked strangers about phones, on the tube saw a 925 Thursday and had to ask the guy about it. Have seen a GS4 and asked about that as well purely to find out if it lives up to the hype. Have had strangers ask about my phone and about my RT a lot on the train

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

If one is open to others and friendly then people whom you don't know will talk to you. (I know its amazing but it is true) I often speak with people I don't know just saying hello when passing is often enough to spark a conversation. Yes people I don't know have walked up to me in a public place and asked about my phone. I was sitting in the Dickie's Barbeque Friday its a lunch line style eatery. I was chatting with several people in line about what great food and prices they have. When I set down and got my ATIV S out to read while eating, I was having lunch alone that day, one of the ladies I was in line with came over to me and asked me about my phone. I will take any opportunity to speak to others about WP.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I think it's because everyone knows Samsung here in US, but few people have seen the Ativ S. I've never seen one yet.

In fact I just decided to check Samsung's websites. Is the Ativ S discontinued? I get "page not found" on the global site. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fglobal%2Fativ%2Fativ_s.html&token=XGy3Futi

I know it won't be on the US site, since it's never been sold in US.
Nah, I just think the page is temporarily down. All major carriers in Canada sell the device, and I don't think Samsung would be so quick to remove its only Windows Phone 8 device so soon. I'd say check back in a little bit.

The Canadian site holds product information, if you wanted to check it out: Samsung ATIV S

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The Ativ S is, by far, the best WP8 device I've used. I had a 920, an 820, and an 8X, and the Ativ is more responsive, smoother, and easier to use than any of the others. I put this and my GS4 next to each other, and I actually prefer the "feel" of the Ativ S in the hand more than the GS4. The Ativ's screen is smaller, but holding them next to each other, I couldn't see a difference between the 720p screen and the 1080p screen of the GS4.

This is also the 7th Samsung device I've owned (Focus, Focus Flash, Galaxy Nexus, GS3, GS4, Galaxy Note) and I've never, EVER had a problem with any of them. Screens are always excellent, cameras are always decent, and the "plastic" build quality holds up well to abuse.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say, I haven't seen a more disinteresting WP device since the focus flash. Highly uninspired and bland bringing nothing spectacular to the table.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say, I haven't seen a more disinteresting WP device since the focus flash. Highly uninspired and bland bringing nothing spectacular to the table.

SD card support and removeable battery, along with the biggest screen WP has to offer, is definitely not bland or uninspired.

Not every WP8 device has to have a neon color with SUPERCAMERAS to be considered a solid phone.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
SD card support and removeable battery, along with the biggest screen WP has to offer, is definitely not bland or uninspired.

Not every WP8 device has to have a neon color with SUPERCAMERAS to be considered a solid phone.

Plenty of Nokia Windows Phones offer those features. The high end though, aims to stand out and it does. I can't consider the ativ S a high end device because it has a cheap feel, an underwhelming camera and an uninspired design. Samsung met with a mobile OS that they can't just cram higher specs into and they're lost.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same experience but with my L920. Yes, complete strangers have asked me about it when travelling on public transport.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The Ativ S is, by far, the best WP8 device I've used. I had a 920, an 820, and an 8X, and the Ativ is more responsive, smoother, and easier to use than any of the others. I put this and my GS4 next to each other, and I actually prefer the "feel" of the Ativ S in the hand more than the GS4. The Ativ's screen is smaller, but holding them next to each other, I couldn't see a difference between the 720p screen and the 1080p screen of the GS4.

This is also the 7th Samsung device I've owned (Focus, Focus Flash, Galaxy Nexus, GS3, GS4, Galaxy Note) and I've never, EVER had a problem with any of them. Screens are always excellent, cameras are always decent, and the "plastic" build quality holds up well to abuse.

Please do elaborate.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
None is by far better than the other. I have a L920 and now the ATIV S both are great devices each with its own plus and minus. To compare the 2 head to head is a subject for another thread. What I do know in my experience is that people will ask me about my ATIV S where as people seldom ask about L920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786