ATIV S most noticed Windows Phone

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
None is by far better than the other. I have a L920 and now the ATIV S both are great devices each with its own plus and minus. To compare the 2 head to head is a subject for another thread. What I do know in my experience is that people will ask me about my ATIV S where as people seldom ask about L920.

Rocking two sims? or do you switch sim when you switch phone?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
None is by far better than the other. I have a L920 and now the ATIV S both are great devices each with its own plus and minus. To compare the 2 head to head is a subject for another thread. What I do know in my experience is that people will ask me about my ATIV S where as people seldom ask about L920.

Do they ask where you got your GS3?

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

here in my country the L920 is a rarity. Well, tbh, all Lumias are a minority and thats probably why people ask me about it.

I believe you live in the US where the ATIV S is a minority wrt the Lumias and people are curious about it.

Even though your thread title may be accurate, its slightly misleading IMO. People are noticing it most probably because they dont know about it which is what you are saying I suppose.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Rocking two sims? or do you switch sim when you switch phone?

Single sim I usually have the sim in my L920 for work and use the ATIV S on internet sharing. On the weekends I use the ATIV S only it's just easier to carry. Right now my L920 is on its way to Nokia to fix the dust under the screen. I tried to data reset it before I sent it I got the forever gears. I just boxed it up with the gears running and sent it anyways. I hope they fix it before they send it back to me.

Do they ask where you got your GS3?

I have been asked that before. I stopped in at the RadioShack today to get a car charger when the RadioShack guy seen my ATIV S we started talking about it we talked for a good 20 minutes.

here in my country the L920 is a rarity. Well, tbh, all Lumias are a minority and thats probably why people ask me about it.

I believe you live in the US where the ATIV S is a minority wrt the Lumias and people are curious about it.

Even though your thread title may be accurate, its slightly misleading IMO. People are noticing it most probably because they dont know about it which is what you are saying I suppose.

That is it they see a Samsung device they don't recognize they start asking about it. Its still the most noticed Windows Phone I have owned.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Single sim I usually have the sim in my L920 for work and use the ATIV S on internet sharing. On the weekends I use the ATIV S only it's just easier to carry. Right now my L920 is on its way to Nokia to fix the dust under the screen. I tried to data reset it before I sent it I got the forever gears. I just boxed it up with the gears running and sent it anyways. I hope they fix it before they send it back to me.

Im curious - how well does that work with syncing everything when switching between phones and have you found the extra device on your live account being a problem. Im looking to get an Ativ purely to game with and listen to music, my 8x is great as a daily driver but I do find screen size and lower memory an issue for gaming.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I have been asked that before. I stopped in at the RadioShack today to get a car charger when the RadioShack guy seen my ATIV S we started talking about it we talked for a good 20 minutes.

That is it they see a Samsung device they don't recognize they start asking about it. Its still the most noticed Windows Phone I have owned.

Not to nitpick, but those were the words I expected to see in the title. Else its, arguably, factually incorrect :)

johnblair7

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen an Ativ S but here in UK it's ?200 cheaper on Expansys than the L920, it's even cheaper than the L820. I've got a L800 and thinking about buying a Simfree L920. Even though I know the Ativ is a good phone, Nokia are putting more effort into Windowsphone.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Plenty of Nokia Windows Phones offer those features. The high end though, aims to stand out and it does. I can't consider the ativ S a high end device because it has a cheap feel, an underwhelming camera and an uninspired design. Samsung met with a mobile OS that they can't just cram higher specs into and they're lost.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, and you're obviously a Nokia fan. Great, awesome. My Lumia 900 and 820 both had to be returned to Nokia for warranty service before I sold them, and my 920 had dust starting to collect in the front camera when I sold that.

No Samsung device I've ever owned has had to go in for warranty service. So yknow, quality only means so much as long as the phone is actually working.

I prefer the feel of Samsung devices over other brands and I've used, and I've used them all.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Please do elaborate.

I base my opinion on things like speed to turn on/off functions (wi-fi/bluetooth/etc) and run certain apps (Wiztiles, in particular, runs faster on the Ativ S than any other WP8 device I've tried).

I was just surprised when I first starting using the Ativ how fast it actually was. I didn't think it'd "feel" snappier than other WP8 devices, but it does.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I live in the states and people ask me what kind of phone I have (Samsung Focus S). I tell them it's a WP and more often than not people ask if it's a Nokia. I say it's a Samsung and they don't seem to know that Sammy makes phones with WP on it. One guy brought out his GS III though to compare and we started playing around and noticed how snappy and fluid my phone was in comparison. He asked what the processor was and I said single core. He didn't believe me at first but looked it up and was amazed that his GSIII was smoked by a WP.

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
In Ireland I don't think it even got released? I've never seen anyone here with one or advertised by Samsung or the networks. In the week that I've had mine I've had three people ask me what phone that was.

I've never had strangers ask me about my phone before. I was afraid they were trying to steal it. :eck:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Same here. iPhones and Galaxies dominate my country. In the bus, someone sat beside me with a Note II and asked me what theme was I using because it was slick and flawless. Told him it was a Windows Phone and I got the most annoying response:

Samsung makes Windows Phones?

Well Nokia dominates, well a little too much. I once overheard someone say "Look, even Samsung is copying Nokia's OS". And when I changed from my L920 to my ATIV S, the usual response is

Samsung uses Nokia OS?

A Samsung Windows Phone? You sure that's not a cheap china knock-off?

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah lol, I had a friend ask me what Galaxy phone that was. I just looked at him... :straight:

Same response I get too!

F: DAYUM! That looks slick! What phone is that? Samsung Galaxy..?

Me: Its the Samsung ATIV S.

F: FAKE! All Samsung phones are Galaxies, so your phone is a fake, chinese knock-off of the Note II

Me: *shakes head* there are not only Galaxies by Samsung you know? They make ATIVs, for Windows

F: Nuh-uh! Samsung only makes Android phones! Your phone is fake!

Me: *facepalm*

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking, It's Samsung's fault. They never advertised the Ativ S. It's like its their red headed step child :eck:

People are literary slack jawed when I tell them it's not made of metal but the same as the GS3 and GS4 but without the hideous hyper glaze.:devil:

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I was just thinking, It's Samsung's fault. They never advertised the Ativ S. It's like its their red headed step child :eck:

People are literary slack jawed when I tell them it's not made of metal but the same as the GS3 and GS4 but without the hideous hyper glaze.:devil:

Same. I shock my friends when I remove the battery and ask them to feel the almost-weightless chassis of the ATIV S.

My dad's S3's hyper glaze coating has spider-web cracks. Everywhere. So much so, that he tells people he has the Spiderman edition of the Galaxy S3 :evil:

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Same response I get too!

F: DAYUM! That looks slick! What phone is that? Samsung Galaxy..?

Me: Its the Samsung ATIV S.

F: FAKE! All Samsung phones are Galaxies, so your phone is a fake, chinese knock-off of the Note II

Me: *shakes head* there are not only Galaxies by Samsung you know? They make ATIVs, for Windows

F: Nuh-uh! Samsung only makes Android phones! Your phone is fake!

Me: *facepalm*

me facepalm....LMAO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs