I just switched my Ativ S from Swisscom to Orange (swapped the SIM), occasional reboots seem to be gone. Friend moved from Ativ S to Android, we noticed that Swisscom seems to send non standard antenna name information... Could be that this is leading to the reboots... Is there a bug here that affects all WP8 devices running on Swisscom? My Lumia920 was totally freezing up many times a day on Swisscom.
    06-28-2013 12:29 AM
    Good find. Hopefully there is someone else who switched that can chime in and shed more light on this. Though I'm not sure if Swisscom would do anything, it'd be nice to know the answer.
    06-28-2013 10:18 AM
    There is more to this, my Ativ S works perfectly on Orange, but my HTC One is unable to send and receive MMS on Swisscom. Believe me, I spend a few hours trying different APN settings on the One... Now this could be a bug or Swisscom doing things to keep unlocked phones off their network... I believe Swisscom is acting intentionally and I will inform the Swiss consumer protection agency. If it works on Orange but not on Swisscom...
    06-30-2013 02:42 AM
    Update, my Ativ S still works great on Orange... But someone from Swisscom picked up my comment here and disabled my MMS service... Took a while to get it switched on again talking to Swisscom technical support. Was switched off real low level! Not fun! So, I guess Swisscom does not want unlocked non Nokia WP8 devices on their network.
    07-02-2013 08:28 AM
    I only noticed that ATIV S reboots when receiving signal strength is low for quite a while. I believe this is kind of protection to protect from cellular module freeze. If the phone/OS sees that the signal level is low for a sufficient amount of time, it restarts itself to reset the antenna module. I could be wrong for sure...
    07-02-2013 09:31 AM
    That could be, in any case, since I use my Ativ S on Orange, no more reboots.
    07-08-2013 06:56 AM
    I can replicate a reboot issue with a couple of WP8 devices - if you connect to a Bluetooth source, then when finished, turn off the BT source and switch off the BT toggle in settings on the WP8 device, it'll shut off. Really odd, but it does it both with the Ativ S and the HTC 8X I owned. To prevent it, just leave BT switched on all the time. It doesn't effect battery much, if at all, and helps prevent reboots.
    07-08-2013 09:47 AM
    I can replicate a reboot issue with a couple of WP8 devices - if you connect to a Bluetooth source, then when finished, turn off the BT source and switch off the BT toggle in settings on the WP8 device, it'll shut off. Really odd, but it does it both with the Ativ S and the HTC 8X I owned. To prevent it, just leave BT switched on all the time. It doesn't effect battery much, if at all, and helps prevent reboots.
    Yes I know, I had reboots even after a clean boot with no usevof BT.
    07-09-2013 04:07 PM
    I tried the following:
    1. Factory reset.
    2. Only setup the Microsoft account, 2 gmail accounts and whatsapp (and LastBootTime app to track reboots).
    3. The phone went 5 days without any reboots.
    4. After that I became careless and started adding other apps. Now I have at least 2 reboots per day. Uninstalling apps doesn't help. I do believe (not sure) that it was either Viber or Skype, which caused this.

Overall, this is annoying.
    08-15-2013 06:15 AM