Ativ using loads of data

bristolbluebear

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have 500MB in the my price plan as I am usually connected to a WiFi at work and home.

I have noticed that my phone is running out half way through the month and last month I used nearly 2GB (luckily I was on a unlimited data allowance from Vodafone) with one day in particular I used over 1GB. I dont download massive files and I dont stream music as I download it over WiFi 1st. How do I find out what's using what? I use Whatsapp during the day and which I know runs with the Music app.

Is this a lot of usage for not much downloading/streaming? My iPhone, I had a 1GB and never used that much and I was using it in the same way.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Hatebreeder91

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got a similar problem, i didn't download anything the last 4 days, didn't watch any video over 3G.
Today I got a notification from my provider to have used 80% of my data volume (300 MB). With my last phone (Android) I didn't reach it often and when, at the end of the month.
This time it were just 4 days of usage.
The tips from http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/209090-am-i-crazy-where-find-data-usage.html didn't help and data sense isn't available for my carrier.
Would be also interested in suggestions to find the trigger of that.

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have 500MB in the my price plan as I am usually connected to a WiFi at work and home.

I have noticed that my phone is running out half way through the month and last month I used nearly 2GB (luckily I was on a unlimited data allowance from Vodafone) with one day in particular I used over 1GB. I dont download massive files and I dont stream music as I download it over WiFi 1st. How do I find out what's using what? I use Whatsapp during the day and which I know runs with the Music app.

Is this a lot of usage for not much downloading/streaming? My iPhone, I had a 1GB and never used that much and I was using it in the same way.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

I would disable data connection for the cellular network first. Then I would connect the device via controllable router and fetch connection data from there for the particular MAC address (you can get the address in phone Settings, about).
Remember, there's no way you can use proxy for Wi-Fi connection. Currently, the proxy setting is not supported for Wi-Fi, so you can't proxify your outgoing connections via your custom proxy server with built-it features in Windows Phone 8.

Read this to see how you could monitor what's going on with networking on Windows Phone 8: How can I debug or monitor a Windows Phone 8 application?

And here is how you could capture traffic for your Windows Phone 8 with Fiddler.

Here is more details on configuring Fiddler to capture traffic.
Also check this video (you can start from here) and watch how you could proxify/monitor/debug networking on your Windows Phone device/emulator.

Last edited:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This will be easier to narrow down if you let us know which apps you use on a daily basis, and which you allow to run in the background. Also, if your phone uses LTE, then your data usage will generally go up, as LTE tends to be heavy with data.

Hatebreeder91

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answers. I switched all the things you mentioned off.
I don't think sniffing helps me with this and it's a bit complicated ;)
Possibly the picture upload via 3G I didn't notice was the biggest problem. Now it will just upload it via Wifi.
I will see it next month, maybe an update with data sense will be out then (hope).
Regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99