Samsung ATIV S (SGH-T899M) not able to update firmware

dynamicdev

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I recently bought Samsung Ativ S SGH-T899M and new to WP8. I am really liking new cool stuff except "updates".

I own Galaxy S2 and always keep it updated. I bought T899 in canada while I was there and now moved to India. As soon as I tried to change network provider, I have been asked to unlock network which I did and now able to use Vodafone India network. However, when I restart phone, I always see ROGERS screen for 2 seconds after which lock screen appears. There are lot of features that is not available to me but on Nokia 920 which is acceptable.

I would like to know how I can update firmware (my phone's firmware is 2212.12.12.2, which I believe is old):
1. Via Kies => Kies dont recognize my phone despite Windows 8 OS is recognizing it
2. Zune too did not detect Ativ S (am I missing driver?, but no exclaimation mark in Device Manager of Windows 8)
3. FOTA => Always says "phone is upto date"?

I dont know how I can update firmware. Any suggestion? [/B]

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As for number 2, Zune doesn't detect WP8 devices. You instead need to use the Windows Phone for Desktop application, or the Windows 8 app (search Windows Store for "Windows Phone"). As for the other 2, will leave them to someone more experienced.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I believe you don't need anything but your phone and Settings|phone update. Isn't it so? Why would one worry going to windowsphone.com?

dynamicdev

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried so many times. It does not help. I have asked help throught this post if I am missing anything as I am new to WP8. Should I try after connecting to WiFi network? So far I have tried with Mobile data enabling all options to downlaod in case of mobile data.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Dev. 2212.12.12.2 is the latest firmware version for the Canadian phone, since its hardware is different than that sold in Europe/Asia. Samsung Canada has confirmed that this is the most up to date version. Kies does not work with Windows Phone, so it's not worth keeping, unfortunately. Frustrating, I know, since they advertise it in its product page. Finally, Zune software only works with Windows Phone 7 devices. For Windows Phone 8, you will need either the Windows 8 app, or the application for desktop: Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (Canada)

The only way to get updates with WP8 is through Settings in your phone. It's over-the-air only, I'm afraid.

dynamicdev

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Matthew.

You reply indeed relieved me. I am trying to fix "Internet sharing". Somehow I am not able turn my mobile as wifi hotspot. But the same, I am able to do with my Galaxy S2. After reading various post, I thought my firmware is old and tried to update it.

Are you able to share internet on Ativ S?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's due to the hardware in the phone, the T899M is the LTE version of the ATIV S and as far as I know the firmware to fix the Internet Sharing problems has only been released for the i8750 or GSM version. Also keep in mind that if the phone is carrier branded then the carrier has to approve the update before it's pushed out to devices.

dynamicdev

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Also keep in mind that if the phone is carrier branded then the carrier has to approve the update before it's pushed out to devices.

Thanks for your reply. Lot of things are now cleared.

My phone was locked to Rogers which I unlocked. Do you still think carrier's (Rogers) approval will be required in this case?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Lot of things are now cleared.

My phone was locked to Rogers which I unlocked. Do you still think carrier's (Rogers) approval will be required in this case?

Yes it will as the IMEI number is locked to Rogers. It's just like the HD7 I have that was locked to O2-UK that I unlocked for all networks, O2-UK still has to approve the updates for it regardless.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It's due to the hardware in the phone, the T899M is the LTE version of the ATIV S and as far as I know the firmware to fix the Internet Sharing problems has only been released for the i8750 or GSM version. Also keep in mind that if the phone is carrier branded then the carrier has to approve the update before it's pushed out to devices.

I have the T899 version on Bell in Canada with the same firmware as above and the Internet sharing works just fine for me. I don't use it a lot but I have done it many times.

dynamicdev

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the T899 version on Bell in Canada with the same firmware as above and the Internet sharing works just fine for me. I don't use it a lot but I have done it many times.

Are you on LTE or 4G? I am on 4G and not able to share internet. Somebody suggested to change some APN setting to broadband but APN setting for LTE is disableed. Dont know what to do?

nestben90

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I got a Samsung Ativ S SGH-T899M in Toronto, Canada that I unlocked allready but for some reasons there is one of the sim tray missing, I just tray if any of you guys can help me out to find one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb