Battery life problem?

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've this phone from thursday. I knew that this has a great battery life, but for me seems to be different.
The screen is in italian, but is quite understandable. 8 Hours 59 mins remaining, and it drain 10% hours. I took the screen about 1h after last charge.
I only have turned on WiFi and Net Access 3G.
I also removed Whatsapp, Kik, Skype, Viber and Chat On, but as you can see it doesn't change the battery drain problem. But I have also to say that the app updates stats not so often.
Things are better only if I turn on the Airplane mode. In this case, it lower to 4% the drain.

p.s. Is there a way to charge the phone with the power turned off? It turn on every time I plug the charger. Annoying.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130708_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130708_0001.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 5

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
First try to remove the battery and restart the phone, also sometimes the new device battery needs few charges to give its best... Disable nfc and location services... 3g in poor coverage consume so much energy try to turn it on when ever you need it, also the same for wifi...
Finally the time depends on how intensive user you are, if you use the phone alot browsing, calling, watching videos with high screen brightness the battery will die rapidly and maybe you will need to charge twice if not three times...

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
No you cannot charge the phone while off.

Does the phone get hot when its draining like that?
Uhm..not. Now it's lower to 89% but with 5-6% per hours. Is there a better app that updates stats often?

I've experienced some very hot moments when I used Omegle and Kik....the phone get hot, I mean.

First try to remove the battery and restart the phone, also sometimes the new device battery needs few charges to give its best... Disable nfc and location services... 3g in poor coverage consume so much energy try to turn it on when ever you need it, also the same for wifi...
Finally the time depends on how intensive user you are, if you use the phone alot browsing, calling, watching videos with high screen brightness the battery will die rapidly and maybe you will need to charge twice if not three times...
I don't watch videos, and I make an average use of other things.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Other suggestions? Do I have to bring it back to the store? Here in Italy, you have 7 days from the day of purchase to bring an item back to the store.
Do you think is a real problem or a normal battery life in the beginning?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
How long ago did you buy it, batteries only build up to their maximum charge after a few charge cycles. As an example I get an estimated 1 day 22 hours out of the battery on my ATIV S and that's after a few charge cycles.

The other thing that drains the battery is battery monitoring software, you already have that function built into battery saver in settings, if you haven't enabled that yet then I would suggest you do enable it as that can extend battery life as well.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
How long ago did you buy it, batteries only build up to their maximum charge after a few charge cycles. As an example I get an estimated 1 day 22 hours out of the battery on my ATIV S and that's after a few charge cycles.

The other thing that drains the battery is battery monitoring software, you already have that function built into battery saver in settings, if you haven't enabled that yet then I would suggest you do enable it as that can extend battery life as well.
I bought on thursday. After 12 hours, the battery now is 14%, and I've turned off the phone for about 5-6 hours during night. Battery saver already active.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought on thursday. After 12 hours, the battery now is 14%, and I've turned off the phone for about 5-6 hours during night. Battery saver already active.

In that case I would take it back and at least get the battery exchanged as it sounds like a battery fault rather than the phone itself.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Marco,
I would not trust these percentages for the short period of time like that. Do you confirm that your phone gets discharged in a day on idling? If not, I'd just leave it. If you browse web drain may hit 30%+ on these periods. Unless it discharges in a day when you don't use it, I wouldn't bother much about it.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Marco,
I would not trust these percentages for the short period of time like that. Do you confirm that your phone gets discharged in a day on idling? If not, I'd just leave it. If you browse web drain may hit 30%+ on these periods. Unless it discharges in a day when you don't use it, I wouldn't bother much about it.

So how can I try? Keep it on Airplane mode for 24 hrs or what else? Weird thing is that now on Battery Save mode, it still remain on 15% after about 50-60 mins, also if it says 10% per hours.

EDIT: I charged my phone a little more than 1 hour ago and now is on 77%. Can be Wi-Fi the problem? Because I use almost always the Wi-Fi and not 2G-3G. In this hour I've used only Viber, WeChat and the browser for about 10 mins.

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Switch NFC to off!
Enable all background tasks on a Ativ S.
Adjust XBOX Music and Game settings.
Adjust auto backup features.
Use Edge if reception is bad, under 3 bars when in standby.
Disable GPS when you don't need it.
Use the original Samsung charger.
If that does not help, get the battery exchanged.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Switch NFC to off!
Enable all background tasks on a Ativ S.
Adjust XBOX Music and Game settings.
Adjust auto backup features.
Use Edge if reception is bad, under 3 bars when in standby.
Disable GPS when you don't need it.
Use the original Samsung charger.
If that does not help, get the battery exchanged.

Why I have to enable all the backgrounds tasks? Isn't it worse for battery life?
And can you explain better Bolded points, please?
For Xbox Music and Game Settings, do you mean to turn off Xbox Music and Cloud?
Where can I set other things?
Anyway, without Wi-Fi, but only 3G, things are much better, but not so wonderful. Now the battery is on 58%. More than 2 hours ago was on 77%.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, seems that the problem was Wi-Fi. As I said, it takes a little more than 1 hour to go from 100% to 77% with Wi-Fi.
After, I turned off Wi-Fi and set 3G, so now the battery is on 9% after 17 hours. Not bad, considering that is on 9% from 77% and not from full charge.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, seems that the problem was Wi-Fi. As I said, it takes a little more than 1 hour to go from 100% to 77% with Wi-Fi.
After, I turned off Wi-Fi and set 3G, so now the battery is on 9% after 17 hours. Not bad, considering that is on 9% from 77% and not from full charge.

WiFi + 3G, oh yeah, eats the battery. You can switch it to Edge + WiFi, however you can use the option to switch WiFi off when the screen goes dark. If you are in an area with many 2.4Ghz networks, try using a 5Ghz network at home, in order to get a less garbled signal.

Marco Arrichiello

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
WiFi + 3G, oh yeah, eats the battery. You can switch it to Edge + WiFi, however you can use the option to switch WiFi off when the screen goes dark. If you are in an area with many 2.4Ghz networks, try using a 5Ghz network at home, in order to get a less garbled signal.

Edge is 2G, right? How can I set the WiFi to turn off when screen goes dark and use a 5Ghz network?

EDIT: Guys, can I know what is the battery life of your Ativ s? How much it takes to go from 100% to 10-0%? It seems to take about 17-18 hours from 100 to 0% also using the WiFi only for 3-4 mins and the 2G-3G for the rest of the time. Does Kik and Whatsapp eats battery also when not runs?

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the reception... But I get about 1.5 days, mainly in Edge + Wifi and using it about 4-5 hours a day with the screen on in max brightness.

WiFi, select 'advanced' last check box.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of third party battery monitoring apps they kill the battery. I did this yesterday after a month of battery drain and the phone has been fine ever since. You can check some of my other post where I was as frustrated as you. I'm a heavy user, took my phone of charge this morning at 8am and still have 23% battery at 10.30 tonight as im posting. Probably used it moderately today. I have 3G, push email constantly on and location (although I will now turn it off until needed) Also have set weather app to manual update. I turn everything else off, Bluetooth, wireless & nfc. Try this and tell me how you get on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss