Bell Customers - how much data are you using with ATIV S?

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I have 1gig of data, and I've burned through over 600mb with 12 days to go in my billing period.

I just blocked all my background tasks, as some of them must be eating data more than I would expect. Logging into Bell and looking at my usage, it seems that I'm routinely using 20-40mb a day, and I'm not watching video, and hardly using IE. It must be live tile updates?

My updating live tiles:

- amazing weather HD (also combined with Bing lockscreen) update hourly
- wpcentral
- Bloomberg (although the most recent update messed up live tile updates)
- 6 stock prices in a single tile via MyStocks Portfolio+
- Wikipedia (shows article of the day title / picture)
- GoPro (updates live tile picture)
- MSN (updates live tile picture)
- Me tile & Facebook tile (notifications).

I hope that we will get Datasense with the GDR2 update.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi RJ, do you have LTE enabled? LTE tends to be really heavy on data. I only have 200 MB, so I had to scale my connection speed down to H+ last month to prevent from going over my usage. Now, I don't know if dropping the connection will help for you, necessarily, but perhaps it's something to consider.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I have it set to LTE, and I've thought about limiting it below LTE unless needed. However, when I'm at work or inside my apartment, my phone is only getting upwards of 3 bars H+ anyway, so I haven't specified the connection below LTE in my phone settings.

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I am on Rogers 150MB data plan with LTE enabled. I rarely go over 100MB, but I turn off data a lot of the time.
But even on days where I leave data on, I don't think I use more than a few megabytes unless I spend an like hour browsing.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
A lot of it depends on what you have running in the background. If you have weather, e-mail, news, or other live update apps, they will continually sip on data if they can. Last night I was surprised to find out that I've already used 20 MB of data in less than one week despite relatively light usage (opening one e-mail and using Foursquare once).

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll post on Monday with my results of having blocked all background tasks over the weekend and see what the results are on the Bell usage web page.

My brother is on Rogers with a 920, and he hardly uses any data, but the only thing I think he's running for live tile updates is Amazing Weather HD.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Well disabling all of the background tasks has made a significant difference in battery life. I expect that there should also be a big difference in my data usage as well when I check tomorrow.

From 8am to 5pm during the week, my battery was typically dropping from 100% to between 40-50%. Since blocking background tasks, it just took 44 hours to drop from 100% to 39% over the weekend.
wp_ss_20130714_0001.jpg

I also noticed that the MSN app cannot be blocked, its live tile has still been updating all weekend while the other app live tiles are disabled.

jmbezeau

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have noted a big growth in my data usage in February. It was going from around 100 Mb and 250 Mb a month. Suddenly my usage went thru the roof. When I realized what was happening I was way over my gig limit. I called Bell to try to get info on what I did. To my knowledge I didn't change my way of using my phone for many years so how could this happen?Bell answered that they do not have detailed information for me.Since then, my data usage is very near the 1 Gig limit every month. I still don't know why. I was happy to see that data sense was included with gdr2 but it was not. So I am back to wondering what's happening in my phone that use all that data.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
...From 8am to 5pm during the week, my battery was typically dropping from 100% to between 40-50%. Since blocking background tasks, it just took 44 hours to drop from 100% to 39% over the weekend.

Wow!! I'm only requesting 24hrs, since I charge nightly. This is good to hear.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have noted a big growth in my data usage in February. It was going from around 100 Mb and 250 Mb a month. Suddenly my usage went thru the roof. When I realized what was happening I was way over my gig limit. I called Bell to try to get info on what I did. To my knowledge I didn't change my way of using my phone for many years so how could this happen?Bell answered that they do not have detailed information for me.Since then, my data usage is very near the 1 Gig limit every month. I still don't know why. I was happy to see that data sense was included with gdr2 but it was not. So I am back to wondering what's happening in my phone that use all that data.

You have to do a hard reset to get data sense with GDR2

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Alright, finally revisiting this thread. I wanted to complete my previous billing cycle and then through most of the current one in order to take a look at my data usage. Now that we have datasense thanks to GDR2, it has shed some light on data usage (although doesn't quite help me unravel the past).

First billing period:

Average data used per day before I blocked all background tasks: 37.2mb (2/3 of billing period)
Average data used per day after blocking all background tasks: 7.35mb* (last 1/3 of billing period)
Total data used: 884.05mb (735.28mb over first 2/3 of billing period, 148.77mb over last 1/3)
* There was a "freak" day where I somehow used 103.67mb, I have omitted from the average.

Second billing period: (9 days remaining as of this post)

Average data per day (bg tasks continued to be blocked): 6.64mb (exactly first 1/2 of billing period - 15 days)
Reset phone in order to activate datasense, no longer blocked any tasks.
Average data per day after reset: 11.75mb* (the 6 days previous to today).
*Note that I blocked WPCentral a few days ago, I forgot to make note of which day that I blocked it on.

Observations from datasense:

- WPCentral is my most significant data using background task. My only guess is that it downloads new articles and their images in the background as it updates the count on the live tile? Without even checking wpcentral, it will accumulate over 4mb per day. When I reset my phone and had to reinstall all my previous apps, I set wpcentral to medium image quality, prior to that, the app was set to "high". I wonder how much more data might be used when image quality is set to "high". I blocked it a few days ago, but considering that I've only used 219mb and have nearly 800mb left for the next 9 days, I will unblock it.

- Metrotube uses a few mb's of data over a few days in the background as a small tile in which nothing is updating (only a live tile on medium and double wide modes). I have blocked it.

I added the new bing apps (News, Finance, Sport, Weather) after resetting my phone:
- Bing sports uses the most data (between 1-2 mb per day) in the background.
- Bing finance seems to use approximately 1mb per day in the background.
- Bing weather appears to use less than 1mb per day in the background.
- Bing news has only used 2mb in 6 days in the background. I only have it set to use 4 sources: CBC News, BBC News, Reuters, and Gizmodo.

System has used 15mb over 6 days. No clue what the system is specifically doing to use data, even such as overnight when the phone is idle.

Conclusions:

Based on datasense and my data usage so far during this billing period, I am no longer worried about live tiles using up all my data, lol. I wish I could know what was using so much data when I first got my phone in June. Scary that if I hadn't have checked my usage on the Bell website, I would have blown past my 1gig limit. All of my original apps which I had blocked (listed in the first post) hardly use any data other than wpcentral.

I didn't have the live tile on for GoPro since originally blocking it on July 12th until today. Maybe that was the problem app? Datasense will reveal the truth.

Final note: Looking forward to the next billing period, when I'll be able to have the Bell website counter and datasense starting at the same time. It'll be interesting to see if they match up perfectly. When I started datasense, I was already half way into this billing period. Datasense currently accounts for 112mb of the 219mb used this month. I had 99.67mb used on the Bell website when I reset my phone. So there is an 8mb discrepancy, which I'll attribute to the reset / restore of the phone maybe not being counted under datasense??

James Doiron

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am also on Bell using this phone as I been with them for years after getting the ATIV S I too notice I been getting warnings from Bell that I was near my limited of 1gig of Data as I never came close when using other phones and I don't take my phone to work during the week so where is all the data going. I am smart about using youtube as you know that eats data up.

So I got the update question do you need to do a hard reset of the phone after the update... also is data sense a app didn't find it in the apps ?

James

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes James. Unfortunately, it takes a hard reset in order for data sense to appear on your ATIV S after receiving the GDR2 phone update.

Data sense will be listed on your app list.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Follow up to yesterday's post:

The GoPro app used 6mb of background data in less than a day before I blocked it. I should have let it remain for 24 hours, but safe to say that it was probably contributing 10mb per day to my data use.

My high data use issues appear to have been wpcentral + gopro + a few mb's here and there general use. So happy that data sense has made it possible to shed light on the high data use issue.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Bell mobility with a 3gb plan and my data sense as of yesterday showed me as close to my limit for the month BUT I also factory reset the device and installed all my apps via backup. backing up to the cloud and streaming any music or video services eat a lot of data. 1gb is actually pretty low now unless your an occasional light user. and tumblr and weave seemed to be nasty on data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon