11-27-2013 09:22 PM
293 12345 ...
tools
    WOW... quoted on the main page! Thanks Daniel. Just waiting to be proven wrong on everything! ;)
    With regard to no Data Sense (on Telus anyway) I find that the Telus site itself does a good, or maybe just adequate job of reporting data usage. It obviously doesn't show app data usage but it does break it down into daily usage so you can probably make an educated guess. You can also set your Telus account to send you txt msg warnings as you approach your monthy limit. So, there is that.
    I was just out walking the dog in the woods and took a few snapshots...the camera, as reported, seemed quicker to activate via the shutter button and quicker in terms of auto-focus and capure too. I'm gonna say at some point Samsung has vastly improved image stabilizing cause my 9 1/2 month-old pooch did not stop moving and all the photos are quite acceptably clear and crisp. No blur at all.
    Finally, as far as other storage goes, I started the install process with about 1.3 GB of free space. When I was "waiting" at the Preparing to install 100% stage I checked and I had 2.9 GB of space. As of right now, having only added a handful of photos I currently have 4.61 GB. So something has definitely changed...and so far it's a change for the better.
    08-05-2013 05:34 PM
    Also...seeing some extra zip moving into, out of, and around main parts of the OS (photos, messaging, etc...)
    And the Samsung Beam app works now too. Finally managed to transfer some photos over to my Nexus 7 tablet (Android/ASUS manufactured).
    It's not exactly fast though! LOL!
    08-05-2013 05:39 PM
    Right, The SGH-T899M is the LTE version for North America. I can't speak to what Samsung is doing with the non-LTE version of the Ativ S since I don't have one.

I personally noticed no difference with my phone after the update other than the firmware image name changing. There's no indication that the FM radio feature was enabled, but does anyone know if the FM radio hardware physically exists on the either verion of the Ativ S?
    08-05-2013 05:45 PM
    I can confirm...factory reset enables data-sense, default camera app, and other storage seems improved, no fm-radio tho. Sucks that you have to reset to get these features, but at least they are present.
    08-05-2013 05:51 PM
    I can confirm...factory reset enables data-sense, default camera app, and other storage seems improved, no fm-radio tho. Sucks that you have to reset to get these features, but at least they are present.
    Not sure I'm fond of the idea of doing a complete reset just to have a feature enabled. It may not even work for everyone.
    08-05-2013 06:17 PM
    Not sure I'm fond of the idea of doing a complete reset just to have a feature enabled. It may not even work for everyone.
    I suppose there is a small chance the update is different depending on carrier, but most likely its the same across them all and should work. Resetting is not a big deal for me but I understand your hesitation. In case it helps, my ativ has Bell firmware and I'm running it on T-Mobile USA.
    08-05-2013 06:53 PM
    I suppose I could do a back-up and then give it a go.
    08-05-2013 07:26 PM
    Make an hardreset and you see all new feature...

I really appreciate the update... The new radio file is excellent... Download @ 48 mbits on lte... 36 mbits on dc hspa...16 mbits on hspa... Signal is better two...

- Data senseis good for people with limited data :)

- ie and the phone is really faster !

- storage... After reinstalling all my apps i see a difference of 2gb !

- Skype... have use in the past and was not optimal... With one bar of signal i can skype with great experience...

- Battery life... Is really better... With my muggen battery i can get 2 day in heavy use for sure now !

For fmradio you never see this because ativ s don t have the chips on it !
    Last edited by o2qc418; 08-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    08-05-2013 08:24 PM
    It's much less painless with a back-up. I just have to rearrange my tiles on the Start screen. No biggie. :)
    08-05-2013 08:47 PM
    Didn't know that mugen had battery for Ativ S
    08-05-2013 08:48 PM
    Is your ativ s a SGH-T899M or i8750?

Make an hardreset and you see all new feature...

I really appreciate the update... The new radio file is excellent... Download @ 48 mbits on lte... 36 mbits on dc hspa...16 mbits on hspa... Signal is better two...

- Data senseis good for people with limited data :)

- ie and the phone is really faster !

- storage... After reinstalling all my apps i see a difference of 2gb !

- Skype... have use in the past and was not optimal... With one bar of signal i can skype with great experience...

- Battery life... Is really better... With my muggen battery i can get 2 day in heavy use for sure now !

For fmradio you never see this because ativ s don t have the chips on it !
    08-05-2013 08:56 PM
    Doing the factory reset did enable Data Sense for me on Telus however I still haven't been able to change the default Camera Lens. Perhaps my lenses aren't able to be the default. I'll have to investigate. I am still missing FM Radio however but I haven't tried plugging in the stock headset that came with the phone (they're at the office).

Microsoft's backup/restore system is better than what they had in WP7 days(none) but the fact that they only re-instate some settings and re-install the apps and don't re-do your home screen automatically nor capture application specific data is a PITA.

You also have to re-enter your wifi password.
    08-05-2013 09:07 PM
    I think I'll just ride it out. Don't want to do a reset because of my saved games, and the "other" storage issue doesn't really affect me as I have lots of free space and a 32GB SD card.
    I'll probably get a new phone next year anyway.
    08-05-2013 09:32 PM
    The ATIV S allegedly doesn't have the necessary hardware to tune into FM Radio.
    08-05-2013 09:44 PM
    I got the update , Rogers ativ s here but I cannot tell it anything is actually different or improved
    Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express
    08-05-2013 10:17 PM
    Is your ativ s a SGH-T899M or i8750?
    my ativ is the lte version - T899M
    08-05-2013 10:26 PM
    There was mention of a "DataSense" feature, but I haven't seen any evidence of it anywhere. Can anybody else with the update verify this? I checked in settings, and in my list of apps, but if it exists, it appears to be eluding me.

OTA is the only way to receive updates.
    I see so signs of this as well, though performance "seems" a bit snappier, it could be my imagination though.
    08-06-2013 08:53 AM
    I see so signs of this as well, though performance "seems" a bit snappier, it could be my imagination though.
    There's some sort of glitch when updating, where Data Sense only appears after you've reset your device. I sent a message to Samsung Support, and I strongly recommend all ATIV S users with this problem to do the same.
    08-06-2013 09:35 AM
    Not sure if it's GDR2 or the factory reset I did yesterday but my battery is lasting forever today. I'm 5 hours in my day and the battery is only down to 87%.

Anyone else seeing this?
    08-06-2013 11:42 AM
    Not sure if it's GDR2 or the factory reset I did yesterday but my battery is lasting forever today. I'm 5 hours in my day and the battery is only down to 87%.

Anyone else seeing this?
    There were mentions of battery improvement in the Samsung GDR2 release information. I've always had good battery life with mine. I'm 6.5 hours into the day and I'm also at 87%.
    08-06-2013 12:29 PM
    Finally my update arrives http://sdrv.ms/1eqfT7g

Europe - Portugal

But its stuck at "preparing to install" for like 4mins now...
    08-06-2013 12:49 PM
    Finally my update arrives http://sdrv.ms/1eqfT7g

Europe - Portugal

But its stuck at "preparing to install" for like 4mins now...
    Did you have to do a factory reset to get it to appear though?

Edit: Just checked for updates and it's downloading and installing now on my UK ATIV S :)
    08-06-2013 12:58 PM
    Looks like I've received the update also!... o2 UK.
    08-06-2013 01:33 PM
    Still no Update - vodafone uk
    08-06-2013 01:36 PM
    If it's unbranded and unlocked then you should get the update, I'm also on O2-UK and am installing the update as I type this. If it's branded and locked to a specific network then you'll need to wait for the update to get carrier approval as well.
    08-06-2013 01:41 PM
293 12345 ...