GDR2 on Ativ S

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing I just realized about my Ativ S (T899M version) is that it's only semi-unbranded...There are no brandings on the case and there is no carrier splash screen but I still have the Bell firmware and had to wait for them to release it. This might be why so many people think it's taking long for the update to hit unbranded phones.

The point is that a factory unbranded and unlocked device doesn't require carrier testing, so the update should be available for those devices regardless of carrier ;-)

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
At first glance, it looks like this update doesn't have a whole lot to offer beyond "under-the-hood" type stuff. On my Telus ATIV S I see no evidence of FM Radio support, Data Sense support, selectable Default Lens support... kind of disappointing I must say. Hopefully IE will show a wee boost in performance, and battery life as well... I didn't see any added features or controls for managing "Other" data. Perhaps that will be be ongoing behind the scenes though.
And it may just be my imagination but the screen is looking a tic spiffier too.

I

doug5962

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree...Why Samsung is shipping unlocked / unbranded T899Ms with Bell firmware is beyond me. The only thing I can say for sure is that the update is downloading to my phone currently.

thund3rbay

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Like the others users i am on telus and receive the ota... No see datasense etc... Just a speed boost... Better dl and up speed... And nothing more !

doug5962

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The carrier on the about screen is listed as Bell but also in the Diagnosis menu you can see the firmware package itself is from Bell and the CSC was set to Bell Mobility. Even when you turn the phone on it's loaded with Bell bloatware and APN settings. The what makes you think it's unbranded is the fact that when you power it on the Bell splash screen has been replaced with a pure black image. That's just a bootloader item and can be modified independently of OS firmware image.

rotkod

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The carrier on the about screen is listed as Bell but also in the Diagnosis menu you can see the firmware package itself is from Bell and the CSC was set to Bell Mobility. Even when you turn the phone on it's loaded with Bell bloatware and APN settings. The what makes you think it's unbranded is the fact that when you power it on the Bell splash screen has been replaced with a pure black image. That's just a bootloader item and can be modified independently of OS firmware image.
xk9n.jpg
So, my is unbranded?! Still no update... :)

Last edited:

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
WOW... quoted on the main page! Thanks Daniel. Just waiting to be proven wrong on everything! ;)
With regard to no Data Sense (on Telus anyway) I find that the Telus site itself does a good, or maybe just adequate job of reporting data usage. It obviously doesn't show app data usage but it does break it down into daily usage so you can probably make an educated guess. You can also set your Telus account to send you txt msg warnings as you approach your monthy limit. So, there is that.
I was just out walking the dog in the woods and took a few snapshots...the camera, as reported, seemed quicker to activate via the shutter button and quicker in terms of auto-focus and capure too. I'm gonna say at some point Samsung has vastly improved image stabilizing cause my 9 1/2 month-old pooch did not stop moving and all the photos are quite acceptably clear and crisp. No blur at all.
Finally, as far as other storage goes, I started the install process with about 1.3 GB of free space. When I was "waiting" at the Preparing to install 100% stage I checked and I had 2.9 GB of space. As of right now, having only added a handful of photos I currently have 4.61 GB. So something has definitely changed...and so far it's a change for the better.

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Also...seeing some extra zip moving into, out of, and around main parts of the OS (photos, messaging, etc...)
And the Samsung Beam app works now too. Finally managed to transfer some photos over to my Nexus 7 tablet (Android/ASUS manufactured).
It's not exactly fast though! LOL!

doug5962

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Right, The SGH-T899M is the LTE version for North America. I can't speak to what Samsung is doing with the non-LTE version of the Ativ S since I don't have one.

I personally noticed no difference with my phone after the update other than the firmware image name changing. There's no indication that the FM radio feature was enabled, but does anyone know if the FM radio hardware physically exists on the either verion of the Ativ S?

jesgdev

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm...factory reset enables data-sense, default camera app, and other storage seems improved, no fm-radio tho. Sucks that you have to reset to get these features, but at least they are present.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm...factory reset enables data-sense, default camera app, and other storage seems improved, no fm-radio tho. Sucks that you have to reset to get these features, but at least they are present.
Not sure I'm fond of the idea of doing a complete reset just to have a feature enabled. It may not even work for everyone.

jesgdev

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I'm fond of the idea of doing a complete reset just to have a feature enabled. It may not even work for everyone.

I suppose there is a small chance the update is different depending on carrier, but most likely its the same across them all and should work. Resetting is not a big deal for me but I understand your hesitation. In case it helps, my ativ has Bell firmware and I'm running it on T-Mobile USA.

thund3rbay

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Make an hardreset and you see all new feature...

I really appreciate the update... The new radio file is excellent... Download @ 48 mbits on lte... 36 mbits on dc hspa...16 mbits on hspa... Signal is better two...

- Data senseis good for people with limited data :)

- ie and the phone is really faster !

- storage... After reinstalling all my apps i see a difference of 2gb !

- Skype... have use in the past and was not optimal... With one bar of signal i can skype with great experience...

- Battery life... Is really better... With my muggen battery i can get 2 day in heavy use for sure now !

For fmradio you never see this because ativ s don t have the chips on it !

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss