Samsung ATIV S T899M on AT&T U.S. w/ internet sharing + MMS + data working great!

The Cole Protocol

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I came to check on this thread and realized there are some unanswered questions when it comes to getting all of this working.

I will do my best to make it easy for you. I bought a Rogers unlocked Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M. I've been using it on a $10/month unlimited data plan for non-smartphones on AT&T US for several months now. I do not have tethering on my plan, but I have been tethering just fine with these settings. I have gotten 3G/4G/HSDPA speeds, but no LTE, which doesn't bother me one bit because the tradeoff is that I'm paying $10/month for unlimited data with tethering.

Please keep in mind that if you have an LTE enabled data plan or "smartphone" enabled data plan , the settings will be a little different for you (in my experience.)Scroll to the bottom of the tutorial for differences. I will provide as much information as I can regarding those plans, as I have used them in the past with this phone on AT&T , however I can no longer test those settings because I do not have the phones required to get those plans anymore. I can assure you that it is possible with every smartphone plan with AT&T.

DATA UNLIMITED FOR NON-SMARTPHONE INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Get the non-smartphone plan by buying this phone(or other "feature phones" that allow this cheap data plan) on eBay or through AT&T, and they will happily sell you the $10/month non-smartphone plan: Samsung Solstice II - Grey cell phone from AT&T. After activating, cut the SIM down to fit in your ATIV S. Change all settings on ATIV S to U.S. (i.e. Marketplace, Region).Place the SIM in your ATIV S now.

2) From the Marketplace search "APN" to download the official Samsung app that allows you to edit and save APN settings. Link apn | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3) If you check the box labeled "Automatic APN" it will save you some time editing and naming different profiles for AT&T. Select "AT&T 4G" for the "Active APN". Select "edit apn" and you should see three profiles in the APN list to edit from AT&T. Mine are labeled "AT&T", one labeled "AT&T MMS", and one labeled "ATT Broadband". Do not worry if yours say something different right now, we will need to edit all three of these and you can make all three profiles reflect what we need them to say so that you can tell them apart. The important part is that we have three profiles to play with, and you can tell them apart by their title. Now uncheck the "Automatic APN" box.

4) When you click "edit apn" you should see this(if it is slightly different, do not worry because we will need to edit all of these in step #5). Just make sure there are 3 different profiles. Everything can be edited:

wp_ss_20130718_0007.png

5) Now edit the settings so that they reflect this information for each profile:

"AT&T" this is for regular data use (web, app downloads etc.)

wp_ss_20130718_0001.png
wp_ss_20130718_0002.png

"AT&T MMS" this is for sending pictures, videos, etc.

wp_ss_20130718_0003.png
wp_ss_20130718_0004.png

"ATT Broadband" this is for tethering :smile:

wp_ss_20130718_0005.png
wp_ss_20130718_0006.png

6) You may need to reboot, but everything should be working great now.

FOR LTE DATA PLAN USERS SKIP STEPS 4 & 5:

Here is some information from another member on our forum, peterfares on March 1st. The instructions are almost identical, except when selecting an "APN profile" in step # 3, select "AT&T LTE" instead of "AT&T 4G" and make these adjustments:

"Now go to settings and open the apn settings. Click edit apn, then click ATT Broadband. Change the APN from broadband to pta (if you have an LTE plan) or to phone and save. Internet sharing should now work. Great thing is, it doesn't ask AT&T for their damn permission! "

FOR "SMARTPHONE" DATA PLAN USERS WINDOWS PHONE, IPHONE, OR ANDROID:

Step # 5 will be only slightly different for you. Everything else will be the same. Please note these were my settings that worked great from an iPhone 4 data plan (non-LTE) There may be only one or two differences:

"AT&T" this is for regular data use (web, app downloads etc.)

wp_ss_20130430_0003.png
wp_ss_20130430_0004.png

"AT&T MMS" this is for sending pictures, videos, etc.

wp_ss_20130430_0005.png
wp_ss_20130430_0006.png

"ATT Broadband" this is for tethering :smile:

wp_ss_20130430_0007.png
wp_ss_20130430_0008.png

Last edited:

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It works it works it works! Thanks again, I can finally listen to Howard stern again at work yay!!![

Last edited:

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
is there a reason why someone goes with a "Smartphone Data Plan" vs. the "Unlimited non-smartphone plan" ? From what I see here the non-smartphone plan does all that for cheaper. Am I missing something? How fast is the non-smartphone plan?

myrandex

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
I did this in the past with Windows Mobile, but when I switched to Windows Phone I had to switch to an official smart phone data plan.

Basically this will work as long as you don't use a phone that ATT recognizes. So let's say you have this working and you buy an ATT branded Lumia 920 for ful price or used off eBay and stick your Sim into it. ATT will recognize it and "upgrade" your data plan for you at your convenience to a more expensive one. My proboemn was it was difficult to find non ATT branded smart phones that I would use and could afford out of pocket to keep my unlimited $10/month data plan. My wife was in the same ****uation as well so we lost unlimited data.

Jason

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Cole Protocol

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
is there a reason why someone goes with a "Smartphone Data Plan" vs. the "Unlimited non-smartphone plan" ? From what I see here the non-smartphone plan does all that for cheaper. Am I missing something? How fast is the non-smartphone plan?

The non-smartphone plan is designed for "feature phones". They are cheap AT&T branded phones that have data access but are really limited to what you can do with them. Hence AT&T charges $10/mo for unlimited data on feature phones. Once you put that SIM into an AT&T smartphone, they recognize the device and change your data plan accordingly.

If you use a device from a different carrier, Rogers in my case, they do not immediately have the IMEI in their database and have no idea what kind of device you're using. Sometimes these lists eventually are shared, but from what I have seen it is not the case with the ATIV S. This is why my data plan remains unchanged.

noelito

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add and attest to this, I had an international windows mobile touch HD that at&t did not recognize and Australian HD2, a uk HTC Titan and tmobile HTC radar that were all not recognized by at&t and had unlimited data, but regarding the radar I had used it as a spare phone recently while I was waiting for my ativ s, and at&t recognized the device when they didn't six months ago! Anyhow so I'm enjoying the unlimited non smartphone data plan, I think my next phone will be a Lumia 1020 but in order to stay "under the radar" I am waiting for more information on a international 64gb Lumia 1020
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlocked Rogers ATIV S and love it but can't for the life of get the internet sharing to work.

Unlocked rogers ativ s on bell mobility and my htc 8X has absolutely no problem with internet sharing

The Cole Protocol

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Will this work on I8750 variant?

It should, but your speeds should be slower on ATT US

I'd like to add and attest to this, I had an international windows mobile touch HD that at&t did not recognize and Australian HD2, a uk HTC Titan and tmobile HTC radar that were all not recognized by at&t and had unlimited data, but regarding the radar I had used it as a spare phone recently while I was waiting for my ativ s, and at&t recognized the device when they didn't six months ago! Anyhow so I'm enjoying the unlimited non smartphone data plan, I think my next phone will be a Lumia 1020 but in order to stay "under the radar" I am waiting for more information on a international 64gb Lumia 1020
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

There are many ways that could have happened, but most likely ATT finally got data from a large list that included your phone. Sometimes the manufacturers share, and sometimes they don't. You may have activated it after they had acquired the information. Who knows.

dredd2099

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Man, you are my hero. I just configured Rogers T899 to work with Wind Mobile.

hope you are still around sir
how exactly did you apply the att instructions to your specific scenario?
still unable to have internet sharing work and sending mms (can receive tho)
just did a reset to get data sense so would try again later and perhaps I just missed a step or two

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
really love my ATIV S but can't figure out how to get it internet sharing working on the bell network

also AT&T and Rogers share a lot (and I mean a lot) and most setting and features are the same on both networks... they were both the same company at one point

Glenn Fegley

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that these settings work on my Ativ S GT-I8750 on AT&T. Thank you SO MUCH for making this guide, it makes it very simple to understand! If anyone is having trouble getting their phone to send MMS on AT&T, these are the settings you need.

Bryan w

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Great post!

I'm on ATT and pta does not work for me so that means no LTE but wap.cingular for internet, tethering, mms all work and I'm finally able to get wireless tether to work.

Still would like to know how to get wireless tether working on TMOBILE because I'm able to get epc working without making APN config changes only on 4G. however, when i change to fast.tmobile I can get LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte