New Samsung ATIV S user :D

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been phone-hopping for a few months. I didn't want a big phone so I first went for the HTC 8X, which was far too small for me. I then received a Dev Kit 920, but the phone kept overheating and was abit too thick and heavy for my skinny jeans so I sold my HTC 8X (you will NOT be missed) and purchased the Samsung ATIV S. So far, I am loving it! I received the GDR2 update but no Data Sense or FM radio. Just to ask, is a class 2 micro SD good enough? Cuz that's the only microSD card I have with me

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense will still be controlled by your carrier even though it is available for devices. this might be the case

Last edited:

keysersoze#CB

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been phone-hopping for a few months. I didn't want a big phone so I first went for the HTC 8X, which was far too small for me. I then received a Dev Kit 920, but the phone kept overheating and was abit too thick and heavy for my skinny jeans so I sold my HTC 8X (you will NOT be missed) and purchased the Samsung ATIV S. So far, I am loving it! I received the GDR2 update but no Data Sense or FM radio. Just to ask, is a class 2 micro SD good enough? Cuz that's the only microSD card I have with me

You received GDR2? You have a UK Ativ S?

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
There's some glitch in the update where the Data Sense feature doesn't become available until the phone is reset. If you want to attempt a reset, be sure to back up your apps and settings beforehand.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
There's some glitch in the update where the Data Sense feature doesn't become available until the phone is reset. If you want to attempt a reset, be sure to back up your apps and settings beforehand.
Are you saying, after gdr2 updated, users still need to reset the device to get the data sense function?

Class 2 sd card might be a bit slow when saving pictures, otherwise it is ok to use.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying, after gdr2 updated, users still need to reset the device to get the data sense function?

Class 2 sd card might be a bit slow when saving pictures, otherwise it is ok to use.

Yes, you have to factory reset your device to get Data Sense but it is in the update.

Last edited:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, dw, as neo says. If you back up your apps and settings, it's much less painful. However, you will have to reconfigure the tiles on your start screen.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, dw, as neo says. If you back up your apps and settings, it's much less painful. However, you will have to reconfigure the tiles on your start screen.

I do like having the ability to show Wireless Hotspots in Maps though, that's a brilliant feature provided by Data Sense :)

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I do like having the ability to show Wireless Hotspots in Maps though, that's a brilliant feature provided by Data Sense :)

Really, I didn't know that. Where can I find info about the features of Data Sense.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks...interesting read. The Hotspots feature is the only thing that would be for me since I'm on an unlimited plan though.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

In that case you can have Data Sense just show your usage by selecting Unlimited in the plan settings.

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi new owner here also (well almost the phone is winging it's way to me as I type).

A few questions.
1. Are updates done over the air now?
2. How do I backup and restore the phone now that Zune isn't supported?
3. This new GDR2 update does it finally let you set your own text tones and does it enable separate volume for the phone, music ,videos and such?

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi new owner here also (well almost the phone is winging it's way to me as I type).

A few questions.
1. Are updates done over the air now?
2. How do I backup and restore the phone now that Zune isn't supported?
3. This new GDR2 update does it finally let you set your own text tones and does it enable separate volume for the phone, music ,videos and such?

1. Yes, all updates are completely OTA.
2. In settings, there is a backup option, which backs up what apps you've installed (not app data), SMSes, contacts, call logs, settings, theme color. Items that aren't backed up: pictures, videos, music, tile arrangements. To restore, when setting up your new Windows Phone, sign in with the default Live ID on your previous Windows Phone and you can choose which backup you want to restore
3. No, no and no.

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes, all updates are completely OTA.
2. In settings, there is a backup option, which backs up what apps you've installed (not app data), SMSes, contacts, call logs, settings, theme color. Items that aren't backed up: pictures, videos, music, tile arrangements. To restore, when setting up your new Windows Phone, sign in with the default Live ID on your previous Windows Phone and you can choose which backup you want to restore
3. No, no and no.

Interesting.

So you don't need my computer at all for updates, backups and restores?

Is there any mention of an update that will enable custom texts and volume control?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos