Good Morning Ladies and Gents!

I'm a long time reader, and first time poster in on the WP interwebs, and I'll be seperating myself from Android shortly to began what I hope will be a long glorious relationship with WP. After 13 loonnnnng years with Sprint, you can imagine how excited I was to read about the ATIV S Neo coming the cellular capital of procrastination. While my contract is up in September, I'm paying full price for the phone to avoid another contract. I'm mulling this because of the fact that Sprint has really slid down the quality "pole" for the past year...well in terms of service quality.

However this morning as I perused the technology news (as I do every morning) I came across a preview of the Ativ S Neo on PhoneArena. Naturally I began to read through this preview as an Engineer I like to get my research from multiple sources. BUT NOTHING COULD HAVE PREPARED ME FOR THIS:

"Display

Carrying its habits over from Android, Samsung has installed a large 4.8 display on the ATIV S Neo same as on the international ATIV S. Resolution has also stayed the same at 720x1280 pixels. The only difference here is that instead of AMOLED, the display technology in use is LCD. While this won't have such a dramatic impact on the phone's usage, it's safe to say that outdoor visibility will be better with the S Neo, as LCDs are still capable of higher brightness outputs compared to their AMOLED counterparts."

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This can't be TRUE!!! Having owned, a Samsung GSII Epic 4G Touch (Sprints really gotta look into acronyms), and Galaxy Nexus, I've absolutely fallen in love with AMOLED displays.....as in I will not use anything else!!! THIS WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE DEAL BREAKER!!!!

Has anyone else heard the same information? Here's a link to the site!

I'm dyin here!!!
    08-07-2013 07:44 AM
    Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure if that information is entirely accurate or not. GSMArena (who are usually quick to get the specs up) are saying that they aren't sure if it will be SAMOLED or LCD.

WP8 Samsung ATIV S Neo and HTC 8XT for Sprint announced - GSMArena.com news

Now, going back to the article from Phone Arena, they are saying that LCD's are brighter than AMOLED's but that isn't entirely true. The Lumia 925 has an AMOLED screen and a brightness rating of 600 nits which is the same brightness as the 920's LCD screen.

I'm with you too in preferring AMOLED screens to LCD ones and I think Samsung would be making a mistake if they were to use an LCD on the Neo.
    08-07-2013 08:41 AM
    If it is, it is. Don't sweat it. It is going to take a concerted effort to get Sprint to change their snotty attitude about the platform. If you support the platform, you will need to support it on your carrier. If I was on Sprint, I'd get one for sure.
    08-07-2013 08:55 AM
    Yeah, but there's no reason for them to change the display on a device. I mean there's always going to be reasons i.e., costs, profits...etc... but dude I've waited too long for a proper WP to show up, and this would seriously be a deal breaker. If this turns out being true, I'll just buy a global Ativ S, and move to Straight Talk.
    08-07-2013 09:12 AM
    If I remember correctly this was the same device that had 8GB of storage but Samsung stated it was a review unit and not indicative of the final version, which will have 16GB. I would imagine that's the case here as well, LCD in the review unit and SAMOLED in the final version.

The final line at the bottom of the review in OP first post is this:

"This is our preview based on a prototype unit, expect the review soon."

That says to me that the specs are likely to change before release.
    Matthew Becker1 likes this.
    08-07-2013 09:20 AM
    Here's to hoping for the best (AMOLED) *crossing finger*
    neo158 likes this.
    08-07-2013 09:53 AM
    Nooooooooooooo!!!! ******* TFT SCREEN!!!! Man I wanted to get this phone soo bad, but now I just can't! Guess I'm moving to Straight Talk, or AT&T
    08-14-2013 07:54 AM
    08-14-2013 08:39 AM
    i have the canadian ativ s(899) on straight talk and everything works like a charm. using a byop straight talk at&t sim so can't get the lte, though. t-mobile has poor reception in my area. the ativ s i have is much prettier than the neo from sprint
    LarboJohnson likes this.
    08-14-2013 12:01 PM
    They need to update the specifications, especially now that the official list is out.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    08-14-2013 12:33 PM
    They need to update the specifications, especially now that the official list is out.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    So it's official then. The Neo comes with an inferior TFT display. Disappointing to say the least.

Specs - Sprint Cell Phones SPH-I800 | Samsung Cell Phones
    08-14-2013 01:12 PM
    Yeah I think I'm going to get an 899 off of Ebay, and move to ATT or try the Nokia 928 on Verizon. I can't give up my AMOLED, and after 13 years Sprint has made me lose my nerve!
    08-19-2013 09:05 AM