GDR2 Update - Vodafone UK

Milan Bassi

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I finally got the update to day and was surprised i couldn't get an option to use the F/M Radio, does this mean there is no radio feature for the Ativ S? Also i just checked and havent got the Data Sense feature either?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I finally got the update to day and was surprised i couldn't get an option to use the F/M Radio, does this mean there is no radio feature for the Ativ S? Also i just checked and havent got the Data Sense feature either?

Looks like FM radio support is missing for the Ativ S (possibly due to hardware limitations).

Unlocked Samsung ATIV S now receiving Window Phone 8 GDR2 OS update | Windows Phone Central

Also, Data Sense needs to be supported by the network so you could try asking Vodafone if they have any plans to support Data Sense.

Contact Us -Vodafone-Help

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
On an unbranded, unlocked ATIV S Data Sense is available after a factory reset, on carrier branded versions that may differ though.

FM Radio is not present on my ATIV S either and that is unbranded and unlocked so my guess is the hardware isn't present in the device, doesn't bother me though as I use TuneIn radio which allows me to listen to radio from around the world.

ArguableChutoy

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Vodafone UK does support DataSense as my Vodafone branded Lumia 925 had it pre-installed.

The tech staff on their forums are quite helpful so you might want to seek answers there...

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Go to the "about" section in "settings." When you press the "more info" button, you should see some information about radio. For me, the radio hardware version reads 0.0.0.0, which suggests (if not confirms) that the ATIV S does not have FM radio functionality. Unless, of course "radio" means something else that I'm not aware of.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Vodafone UK does support DataSense as my Vodafone branded Lumia 925 had it pre-installed.

The tech staff on their forums are quite helpful so you might want to seek answers there...

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

The tech team on Vodafone do seem to be quite helpful but a little clueless in my humble opinion. I found a thread on their forum about this very issue regarding data sense and the first response was to throw the blame at MS. It then went on to say that it would be included in the next firmware update, but the OP has stated otherwise. Unless of course, Vodafone don't see GDR2 as a firmware update.

Data Sense App - Vodafone eForum

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Go to the "about" section in "settings." When you press the "more info" button, you should see some information about radio. For me, the radio hardware version reads 0.0.0.0, which suggests (if not confirms) that the ATIV S does not have FM radio functionality. Unless, of course "radio" means something else that I'm not aware of.

No, the radio being referred to here isn't an FM radio. Also, it should read as Radio Software rather than hardware. At least it does on my Lumia 920.

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The tech team on Vodafone do seem to be quite helpful but a little clueless in my humble opinion. I found a thread on their forum about this very issue regarding data sense and the first response was to throw the blame at MS. It then went on to say that it would be included in the next firmware update, but the OP has stated otherwise. Unless of course, Vodafone don't see GDR2 as a firmware update.

Data Sense App - Vodafone eForum

GDR2 isn't a firmware update, it's an OS update. Firmware updates come from Samsung so it's entirely possibly for Samsung to update the firmware to support Data Sense without a hard reset.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
GDR2 isn't a firmware update, it's an OS update. Firmware updates come from Samsung so it's entirely possibly for Samsung to update the firmware to support Data Sense without a hard reset.

My GDR2 also had a Samsung firmware update.

About to do the factory reset to get data sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss