Samsung ATIV Battery Charger Potentially Dangerous?

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I charge my ATIV up using my old Samsung Monte charger, the ATIV charger can be dangerous if not used correctly, look at the screenshot below, notice if the ATIV charger is set up with the prongs facing down they are 'live'. :shocked:

2.jpg

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I charge my ATIV up using my old Samsung Monte charger, the ATIV charger can be dangerous if not used correctly, look at the screenshot below, notice if the ATIV charger is set up with the prongs facing down they are 'live'. :shocked:

View attachment 40514

That is just your travel adaptor. I don't have that. The top part labelled 'SAMSUNG' is the charger.

4 years ago, when I was 10, I was electrocuted the same way. My mom was using the same type of travel adaptor but it was on the wall. Being alone at home and a curious 10 year old, I tried removing it to plug in something else but it won't budge. I then grabbed the top prongs and got electrocuted. It hurt really badly and my whole body was shaking. Blacked out and woke up an hour later in my living room floor, still home alone. That **** hurts like hell. I suggest you change your travel adaptor

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
That is just your travel adaptor. I don't have that. The top part labelled 'SAMSUNG' is the charger.

Yes you are correct, it came with the phone though.
You would of thought a 3 pin charger would of been supplied for the U.K market.
I will continue to use my Samsung Monte charger which has the same size connection. :eck:

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
Yes you are correct, it came with the phone though.
You would of thought a 3 pin charger would of been supplied for the U.K market.
I will continue to use my Samsung Monte charger which has the same size connection. :eck:

My Ativ S came with the same adapter thrown in the bag. Try emailing the retailer pointing out the danger.
I did and they sent out a genuine Samsung UK charger next day f.o.c.

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 40514

I have the same travel charger (but white, instead of black, bought from a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon vendor). On my charger, you can lock the standard U.S. prongs in a retracted position. Prior to charging your Samsung, push the prongs in and slide the Unlock/Lock to a locked position. That should resolve any possibilities of accidental electrocution.

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
I have the same travel charger (but white, instead of black, bought from a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon vendor). On my charger, you can lock the standard U.S. prongs in a retracted position. Prior to charging your Samsung, push the prongs in and slide the Unlock/Lock to a locked position. That should resolve any possibilities of accidental electrocution.

I do hope your are not involved in safety or risk assessment in any way if your conclusion is that pushing the pins back in is sufficient to "resolve any possibilities of accidental electrocution." What happens if someone accidentally or otherwise moves the button again while it's plugged in, or while inserting or removing the adapter? That big green button is just the type of thing that could attract an inquisitive child's attention. Neither is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone could move it on purpose thinking it was an on and off switch, or think it had to be "unlocked" before unplugging. Bang, pins shoot out immediately exposing the unwary to a full 240V. If that's not highly dangerous and potentially lethal I don't know what it is.

No surprise then that there are no Type Approval or other safety markings on these adapters (apart from a fake "CE" marking which as we all know just means "Crap Export").

The best course of action is to smash this adapter up and put it in the bin, and buy something safe and fit for purpose. If the mains adapter came from a UK retailer, insist that they supply one with a proper UK plug, it's illegal for them not to do so. You never know, someone, somewhere down the line, may just avoid serious injury (or much worse) because you did the right thing instead of trying to save a couple of quid on a bodged job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa