Samsung ATIV S has LTE but disabled! Proof!!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So I was using GoodDayToDie's webserver native access (access system files from web server) and I found registry entries for MSM8960 by both qualcomm and Samsung. MSM8960 is an LTE SoC. Samsung ATIV S actually has LTE!! It is just disabled!

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
are you completely sure about that? It might be just there, like the FM radio entry, you can enable it but it won't work.. are there any other SoC's mentioned? If not, that'd be really awesome :)

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
are you completely sure about that? It might be just there, like the FM radio entry, you can enable it but it won't work.. are there any other SoC's mentioned? If not, that'd be really awesome :)

FM radio is a generic system entry by Microsoft. While entries for the SoC is strictly by SoC only, by Qualcomm and Samsung. Microsoft doesn't manage these entries. I can confirm it is disabled. All I need is to find someone with an ATIV S that hasn't downloaded the GDR2 updates yet (downloaded, not installed) and I can look in the CAB files and compare them with those of a Lumia 920

Arreat

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
So I was using GoodDayToDie's webserver native access (access system files from web server) and I found registry entries for MSM8960 by both qualcomm and Samsung. MSM8960 is an LTE SoC. Samsung ATIV S actually has LTE!! It is just disabled!
It's common knowledge the Ativ has the MSM8960, it was in the spec sheet it was announced with, it won't magically grow an amplifier and requisite antennas to use LTE if you somehow manage to enable the baseband, which I can guarantee will take more than a few file changes and registry tweaks.

tarthyel

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It is just another proof of my theory. On the BT&FM topic I wrote about my little investigation. On the bluetooth.org, where you can find the official BT specifications of the devices check this and write: GT-I8750 and you will find the "MSM8960 Controller Subsystem_Odyssey" , than click to the EPL(s):1 on the end of the line, and you will find the LTE version (SGH-T899M) of Ativ S and that have the same BT controller, and same SoC, if it calls MSM8960. The BT version is not significant, but I hope it has BT4.0 with LE support, and they have only problem with the licensing, or something. So, in my opinion that is a high-end SoC with significant licensing problems, or lames works at the bluetooth HQ :D

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
it all depends which model you have. the SGH-T899M has had it since day one. for some reason, gsmarena ATIV S spec page, they don't mention LTE at all, which is not good since I'm sure LTE is a selling point. gsmarena should correct that.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but this proves nothing. If LTE was available for the i8750, then why would Samsung release it as disabled? That makes no sense.

Manufacturing costs. It's cheaper to produce one board and disable components then make two different boards. The Nexus 4 also has an LTE chip on the board since it's the same as the Optimus G but it's disabled to justify the lower price. Also similar to how low cost CPUs and GPUs are often the same as the higher cost ones with certain parts disabled.

tarthyel

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If you not see with your own eyes you never sure 100% about that. Some specs mentioned the 8260A and anothers MSM8960. For example: WP's official UK site check the processor. Do you think on the official WP site they are lames and wrote false information about the phones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss