01-15-2014 01:58 AM
70 123
tools
    Well, I am happy with my decision to buy ATIV S two weeks ago. Yet, it has GDR2 update, but I can wait until GDR3 roll out in my region. It is a good WP device with good spec, and it is rare where I live. Already received some questions "Wow, I never saw this model? Is it just released?"
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-22-2013 12:31 AM
    No, most phones sold here are not locked nor branded. Even HTC 8X got it earlier. My wife's 920 got Amber almost 2 months ago.

So yes, it's definitely Samsucks fault.

ok, I really do not understand what the deal with updates is all the time. As long as your phone works well, so what? I personally prefer getting an update later but being sure that it works correct (see for that for example the early faulty update to gdr2 for the 8x).

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk
    mary beth hale and MSFTisMIA like this.
    11-22-2013 03:30 AM
    For those who buy branded goods and latest fashion, then ATIV S is not worth it.

For those who need a high spec phone at a mid spec price and don't care much about what the neighbor think, then ATIV S is worth it. Throw in light weight, removable battery, memory slot, it becomes a steal.
    11-22-2013 07:44 AM
    Well, I am happy with my decision to buy ATIV S two weeks ago. Yet, it has GDR2 update, but I can wait until GDR3 roll out in my region. It is a good WP device with good spec, and it is rare where I live. Already received some questions "Wow, I never saw this model? Is it just released?"
    oh yes, it feels like being very special. Especially thethird tile row results in kind of questions what extra ordinary phone this might be
    11-24-2013 08:49 AM
    I have had my Ativ S for a week and I must say I'm most satisfied. I bought it in Portugal for roughly 200 euros. The Nokia Lumia 920 was about 80 euros more expensive. Spec-wise they are mosty identical other than the removable battery and SD slot.
    When you hold them in your hand you may notice the Lumia is more poshed and has that soft "expensive" feel. However there's no denying the noticeable extra weight, which may be a deal breaker. Being a short fellow, the Ativ S slides and fits nicely in my trousers' pocket.
    All things considered (especially the price) I find it a great deal. Screen is amazing, very quick and smooth and the battery usually lasts for a whole 2 days, unless I don't leave it still for a minute, which happened in the first 2 days.
    If you want to try WP, go for it.

Regards,

Antnio
    Stephen Vogel likes this.
    11-29-2013 06:16 AM
    The Ativ S is an excellent phone, and now with the massive price drop, it is in serious running for best bang for the buck. I had one for a while and if it wasn't for it being stolen *shakes fist in the air* I'd probably still have it. But aside from the cool metallic look, I hated the shape of it - rounded corners make me want to punch babies.
    11-30-2013 12:28 PM
    Official GDR3 is now available in South Africa, sim free Ativ S, just checked yesterday. Will post screenshots when I manage to download as my data is limited. Samsung support is awesome. I also use Samsung apps and get regular updates.
    Nothing on my two Ativ S in South Africa.
    12-23-2013 01:51 PM
    The Samsung ATIV is an excellent phone.
    Had a go with an Android a few days ago and it was awful compared with the ATIV.
    The OLED picture quality is very good and with the right Apps installed I couldn't live without it.
    Attached Thumbnails picture-5.jpg  
    12-25-2013 02:28 PM
    I bought an Ativ for my gf, and it's an amazing phone. She really likes it, and before she had iPhones and a crappy Htc wildfire . It costs 200 euros in Germany unlocked, and it's a great deal. It's fast, has a nice screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery. Only con is that lumias have a couple of good exclusive apps (here transit, here lens).

It made me hesitate about keeping my 620, but I really like that I can put in my pocket and barely feel it. My next phone will probably be a 1020 or its successor, when I can afford it.
    01-09-2014 06:02 AM
    I bought an Ativ for my gf, and it's an amazing phone. She really likes it, and before she had iPhones and a crappy Htc wildfire . It costs 200 euros in Germany unlocked, and it's a great deal. It's fast, has a nice screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery. Only con is that lumias have a couple of good exclusive apps (here transit, here lens).

It made me hesitate about keeping my 620, but I really like that I can put in my pocket and barely feel it. My next phone will probably be a 1020 or its successor, when I can afford it.
    The HERE Suite is available on all Windows Phones, you might want to have a look on the store. AFAIK HERE Lens was integrated with HERE Maps as City Lens.
    01-09-2014 07:55 AM
    Too bad HERE maps is not available for Portugal. Anyway, considering the price difference to the 920, it's a great deal.
    The 620 too is a great phone; only the lower resolution and inferior camera are a bit of deal breakers with the Ativ S at this price.

01-09-2014 03:47 PM
    The HERE Suite is available on all Windows Phones, you might want to have a look on the store. AFAIK HERE Lens was integrated with HERE Maps as City Lens.
    Thanks, but I could only find here maps and here drive, not lens or transit :( , and I don't want to use the hack posted some time ago in the forum.

Edit: I bought the phone in Germany, but I selected Argentina as the region. Could there be a geographical restriction?
    01-09-2014 03:56 PM
    Too bad HERE maps is not available for Portugal. Anyway, considering the price difference to the 920, it's a great deal.
    The 620 too is a great phone; only the lower resolution and inferior camera are a bit of deal breakers with the Ativ S at this price.

They are very different phones, I got the 620 from my job, but if I had to choose between it and the ativ at current prices, I would select the ativ for sure.
    01-09-2014 03:58 PM
    Thanks, but I could only find here maps and here drive, not lens or transit :( , and I don't want to use the hack posted some time ago in the forum.

Edit: I bought the phone in Germany, but I selected Argentina as the region. Could there be a geographical restriction?
    It's possible, you could try changing the region. Lens is no longer separate, it's part of Maps now.
    01-09-2014 04:26 PM
    Hello,
    the Ativ S is a phone that I might end up buying but I'm wondering if Samsung planes anything like the folder thing on the Lumias because it would be very useful for me.
    01-13-2014 03:12 PM
    Samsung had a folder feature before nokia did. The ATIV S is a beast for its battery life and 4.8" screen. I recommend the device. The ATIV S was like a S3 running windows phone. There was no "S4"-style ATIV release unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    01-13-2014 03:23 PM
    Thanks for your answer ! I was a bit worried about the exclusif features of the Ativ S but I feel like it will be a nice choice in the end.
    01-13-2014 03:36 PM
    Thanks for your answer ! I was a bit worried about the exclusif features of the Ativ S but I feel like it will be a nice choice in the end.
    You will not be disappointed.

The price of the Samsung ATIV S is a steal - may slightly look like the Galaxy S3 but, the build quality is much more high-end.

For the same specifications Nokia you would have to spend an awful lot more money.
    01-14-2014 02:41 AM
    You have to laugh at the hipsters and sites like this crowing over the wonderful 'new' features from their great idol Nokia like App Folder, when us wise ones have had that for 6 months on our 'unsupported' phones thanks to Samsung...
    kraan_machinist likes this.
    01-14-2014 04:26 PM
    You will not be disappointed.

The price of the Samsung ATIV S is a steal - may slightly look like the Galaxy S3 but, the build quality is much more high-end.

For the same specifications Nokia you would have to spend an awful lot more money.

to give you an example of an "indestructible phone", I stumbled while calling, and I fell to the ground, and I had to put all of my weight on my phone hand, so not only I dropped the phone from 1,70m, but I had my full weight on it( around 80kg), SCREEN FIRST toward the concrete and it was unscated
    01-15-2014 01:58 AM
70 123