ativ s, wp thingies

urosinho

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,
2 weeks now on ativ s win phone and overall I am very satisfied. No lagging, brilliant screen, small price, battery life. However there are couple of things I am unsure how to manage \ solve.
1. Data sense app reports too much data traffic for pop3 email. This is biggest problem at this point as I have only 1gb data plan. Each time app checks for email it uses approx 10-15 mb of traffic multiplied by 1 check per hour it uses way too much traffic.
2. Calendar. Ok, i have moved everything from gmail to outlook, but letters are too small, and it doesnt clearly state that there is an event on particular date.
3. Navigation. Is there a possiblity to actually use any kind of navigation for car? Maps seem ok, but not very conviniant way for car usage.
4. Playlist. Guys, please help this gives me a lot of troubles i have a bunch of songs in crazy order. Is there a possiblitiy to create playlist off the phone and simply copy it with folder on phone?
5. I am not sure, but seems like phone is off wifi when locked? It doesnt check emails, viber and skype are offline?

This is for now, if anybody can be constructive i would appreciate it very much.

Regards from sunny Belgrade!

Last edited:

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
1. How many email accounts do you have? Do you receive a lot of messages? Seems a little bit too much traffic for an email check.
2. Personally, the built in calendar seems enough for me. But there are a lot of calendar applications in the market (free or paid). I can't recommend one since I don't use them but just perform a search for "calendar" and try some that you like. There is for example Super Calendar
3. Yes, it's possible. Here Maps is available for free for all WP phones. Also, there are some paid applications, like Here Drive+, Navigon Europe.
4. There is Windows Phone App for Desktop (not exactly the best way) or there is another method described here using Windows Media Player.
5. Go to settings>WiFi>Advanced and check "Keep wifi on when the screen times out". That will keep wifi connection on even when the screen is off.

Hope this helps.

urosinho

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
1. I use only one business pop3 email. Receive up to 10 mails per hour, not too large ones. I have feeling that each synch email client downloads all mails last 7 days wich is unacceptable. Please see picture, mail uses more than explorer and instagram combined...

2. will try
3. Here Maps helped me find GPS Copilot, good app, recommend.
4. Mh, not happy with pc program but ill give it a try.
5. :) this was easy.

So, biggest issue remains pop3 email, everything else looks good.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Your email issue stems from the fact that you're using pop3 which has to manually check for email and downloads the full message not just the headers so at 10 emails per hour the data usage stacks up, not to mention making battery life drop as fast as Ford GT guzzles fuel.

If you have the option then switching to EAS, which pushes email out to mobile devices, or IMAP, which downloads just the message headers it will make a significant difference to both data usage and battery life.

Last edited:

urosinho

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Good answer.
I am not sure it is possible. I know that it is Kerio mail server, and instructions I have state i should use pop3. Btw it is super slow...
Guess it is just mine missfortune :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Good answer.
I am not sure it is possible. I know that it is Kerio mail server, and instructions I have state i should use pop3. Btw it is super slow...
Guess it is just mine missfortune :)

If it's Kerio Connect then I found this:

iPhone. iPad. Android. BlackBerry. Windows Phone. Palm. Whatever the device or OS, Kerio Connect most likely supports it. Virtually any device will synchronize wirelessly over the air with your Kerio Connect server.
  • Synchronize email, calendars and contacts in real-time with direct push
  • Choose public and shared folders to sync to your device
  • Sync shared calendars and contacts to iOS devices – Exchange and Google can't even do that!
  • Supports synchronization through IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV open stands or with Exchange ActiveSync
Looks like it works with IMAP and EAS if those methods are configured.

urosinho

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, i will try to work this out with IT Guys.

edit: Yes, i have set it up on IMAP same way. I could have tried it without bothering IT guys. Hopefully it will be useful!

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, i will try to work this out with IT Guys.

edit: Yes, i have set it up on IMAP same way. I could have tried it without bothering IT guys. Hopefully it will be useful!

Good to hear you got it sorted, I always try to stay away from POP3 on my phone if I can help it, on tablets, laptops and desktops it's not that much of a problem though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo