After unlock achieved what do I think about my Ativ.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Im a person that is always going after the newest device. Im not rich, but I hustle. I sell the old device and try to always minimize the costs when upgrading. Last time I switched from L920 to Ativ-S, I actually made money. I did that switch because of the battery basically. I get about 30% more time with the Ativ, the battery is 10% bigger but also I think the AMOLED/LCD makes difference here.

I always liked the Ativ, the camera of course is not on par with L920, but its ok. I liked that fact I have my 32gb Samsung class10 card in for 32+16 of memory, and I never had any other storage problems? Good solid device all and all.

Anyway I was waiting for the new Nokia’s to come out to make the switch… And now that the 1520 is coming closer to reality, we have received the full unlock for this awesome Samsuck device. So Ive been thinking do even want to make the change… Really come to think of it, I might go with the Ativ 6-12 months more. And this would be a huge time for me with the same device.

The biggest things that the 1520 would bring is more tiles (which now I have on my Ativ, thanks to the unlock), better camera, bigger battery, higher resolution, quad core, more ram and better screen in sunlight.

So which things really make any difference in real life…

The quad core and 2gb ram: The Ativ runs smoothly, I don’t think neither of these will make any noticeable difference in day to day use.

The camera: well Im sure this camera would be amazing. However I take random drunken shots. I was ok with L920 to Ativ with the camera, so its not something I would consider that important.

Bigger battery: This is interesting, interesting because of the bigger screen and higher resolution + quad core. Would the battery last longer? It just might be getting comparable run times. Which of course would be good with the specs, but not a reason to considering a change.

The screen: The higher resolution I think is not that big deal in normal day to day use, really. The screen in Ativ does it job. However the pictures weve seen with the L1520 in sunlight, that’s great. It really looks better than anything else.

The Lumia also, the device is on the big side, maybe too big. One thing M$ is not bringing from the Note is the split screen option, that would have been a very useful things on device of this size. Also I think stylus things from the note are also missing… M$ just cant make turns fast enough at this point to be on the frontline with software on phones.

Then also have to take in to consideration that the Ativ will receive tweaks all the time now for sure. When people find new things from the registry to play with, they will be available for us. Also I love the PDF>Office hub app (enables us to send pdf’s as attachments on emails) now available to unlocked devices. Im sure more app’s like this will come to get better experience from the WP platform.

Also the L1520 is not cheap. That will be a lot of money to throw in between, as also the Ativ is cheap. I couldn’t get much when selling it.

So bottomline at this moment, I don’t see me “upgrading” my device anytime soon. We will see when I get hands on time with L1520, but I doubt any big changes of heart will happen…

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The changes from the ATIV S to 1520 is more a jump in specs you might notice a increase in performance however WP excellent on low end devices to high end.

It is large so it best to check in store if you would like a 6 inch device.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What I have read from 1520 owners the speed difference is not noticable. This of course is because how WP is designed and works well in all devices. Also I guess more optimation for the quadcore is coming in 8.1. If so, we might see more difference then. Probably there is some performance differences already in 3rd party apps and games I would imagine, but I dont play games with my mobile.

I just love my Ativ now and for this price they are selling it atm, its just a avesome deal for a phone.

The 929 could be more intresting... However because of the full unlock there are nice benefits (sending pdf's via email for example) and more coming I would imagine... I would hate to lose this functionality.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So, you come into the ATIV S forum to say you like the ATIV S after an interop unlock but still decide to use the childish "Samsuck" in your post. If you can't use manufacturers names properly, in this case SamSUNG, then don't use them at all or better yet don't bother posting. I stopped reading after I got to the first M$ though, the 90s called and told me they want it back!!

bruce1099

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1520 and the ATIV S. And yes the 1520 has the best screen I have seen on any phone and I have had them all. But it is simply too big, does not fit well in your pocket, only the mail app and internet explorer work in landscape mode which is a real problem for a phone this size. I notice a slight speed improvement from processor in load apps but not much. Camera is great but I am not a picture freak.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Im a person that is always going after the newest device. Im not rich, but I hustle. I sell the old device and try to always minimize the costs when upgrading. Last time I switched from L920 to Ativ-S, I actually made money. I did that switch because of the battery basically. I get about 30% more time with the Ativ, the battery is 10% bigger but also I think the AMOLED/LCD makes difference here.

I always liked the Ativ, the camera of course is not on par with L920, but its ok. I liked that fact I have my 32gb Samsung class10 card in for 32+16 of memory, and I never had any other storage problems? Good solid device all and all.

Anyway I was waiting for the new Nokia’s to come out to make the switch… And now that the 1520 is coming closer to reality, we have received the full unlock for this awesome Samsuck device. So Ive been thinking do even want to make the change… Really come to think of it, I might go with the Ativ 6-12 months more. And this would be a huge time for me with the same device.

The biggest things that the 1520 would bring is more tiles (which now I have on my Ativ, thanks to the unlock), better camera, bigger battery, higher resolution, quad core, more ram and better screen in sunlight.

So which things really make any difference in real life…

The quad core and 2gb ram: The Ativ runs smoothly, I don’t think neither of these will make any noticeable difference in day to day use.

The camera: well Im sure this camera would be amazing. However I take random drunken shots. I was ok with L920 to Ativ with the camera, so its not something I would consider that important.

Bigger battery: This is interesting, interesting because of the bigger screen and higher resolution + quad core. Would the battery last longer? It just might be getting comparable run times. Which of course would be good with the specs, but not a reason to considering a change.

The screen: The higher resolution I think is not that big deal in normal day to day use, really. The screen in Ativ does it job. However the pictures weve seen with the L1520 in sunlight, that’s great. It really looks better than anything else.

The Lumia also, the device is on the big side, maybe too big. One thing M$ is not bringing from the Note is the split screen option, that would have been a very useful things on device of this size. Also I think stylus things from the note are also missing… M$ just cant make turns fast enough at this point to be on the frontline with software on phones.

Then also have to take in to consideration that the Ativ will receive tweaks all the time now for sure. When people find new things from the registry to play with, they will be available for us. Also I love the PDF>Office hub app (enables us to send pdf’s as attachments on emails) now available to unlocked devices. Im sure more app’s like this will come to get better experience from the WP platform.

Also the L1520 is not cheap. That will be a lot of money to throw in between, as also the Ativ is cheap. I couldn’t get much when selling it.

So bottomline at this moment, I don’t see me “upgrading” my device anytime soon. We will see when I get hands on time with L1520, but I doubt any big changes of heart will happen…

Hi. Can you elaborate a bit more in this issue? Thanks

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Can you elaborate a bit more in this issue? Thanks

Hi,

Developer named Contable over at XDA has made an app that can move file locations inside the Ativ. Your device of course needs to be fully interop unlocked, but other than that its simple, just sideloead the .xap... You can move the .pdf files to your office hub, which gives you an ability to add them as attachements to any email account you have in your Ativ.

Please check original topic for instructons and download of the .xap at XDA: [XAP][20.11.2013] Update: PDF to Office V3.0.2 for interop-unlocked Samsung devices - xda-developers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos