Camera and screenshot problem on Ativ S

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That is not acceptable. That is like buying a house with a front door and a back door, and then being told that you need to climb in through the window to get inside. You need to enquire as to what your legal rights are (not from the store). Go back to them and give them a chance to replace with a handset that works as you want it to work. Failing that then take legal action, or camp outside their store and make a nuisance of yourself by deterring customers away from them

Exactly, it's completely unacceptable. The Microsoft Account has nothing to do with it, that's typical retailer BS for "we can't be bothered to help you."

The phone is faulty and under warranty so they either replace it, give you a refund or give you the details of the manufacturer to get a replacement. That's how it works in the UK at least, so it might be best to do as lexrsk says and find out your legal rights as a consumer in your country.

Oh and don't speak to the plebs who are serving customers, ask to see the manager ;-)

Last edited:

MICROV91

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Haha, they will refund it but for half a price . Yap, i will see what i can do legally but that will probably cost me more than that phone. That is Serbia ;) .

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Its, already GDR2 , i was thinking more like GDR3 ... Hm...

very strange indeed, there's something fishy going on here, first and foremost the camera has nothing to do with the Microsoft account, the camera should work even if you decided not to log into an account at set up, i would hold off on GDR3 unless its publicly available in your region, ( in other words don't go the preview route or flash methods, they may state you voided the warranty ) I'm in the US so not sure how international phones are set up but my old L920 ( I currently use the L1020 ) is factory reset ( wiped it after getting the L1020) and although it doesn't do much in that state i still can use it to play music AND take pictures

MICROV91

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how its is possible. It works on their account, when i hard reset it, works until i log in . Very strange, what is even more strange is that it wont take screenshots ether . So i suppose its some problem with memory. So i still use my 720 witch is great phone btw. Ativ S i will give as a gift to sister , she doesn't need MS account :D

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how its is possible. It works on their account, when i hard reset it, works until i log in . Very strange, what is even more strange is that it wont take screenshots ether . So i suppose its some problem with memory. So i still use my 720 witch is great phone btw. Ativ S i will give as a gift to sister , she doesn't need MS account :D

maybe it has something to do with how your data package is set up, have you tried to disable auto upload and then tried the camera, honestly there shouldn't be any correlation to your phones camera hardware, and your Microsoft account, meaning its not a defect in the phone but rather something the ISP/CELL provider is doing in the set up, question, does the service rep reset and set up the phone in front of you so you can watch, or is this being done without you being able to observe what there doing?

MICROV91

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
No i don't know that they did. I left phone and they told me to come in 1h. Well i was on wifi when i tried to take pictures, now i turned off and its the same. Its probably some problem with phone, it works like it is so doesn't mater . I wont buy any apps on it, it will work with this account.

I cant find anywhere on internet, similar problem so i guess its problem with my phone.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
very strange indeed, there's something fishy going on here, first and foremost the camera has nothing to do with the Microsoft account, the camera should work even if you decided not to log into an account at set up,

This is correct. Even if you remove your sim card, SD Card, Hard Reset and boot up the phone.. it should still take pictures on 1st boot.

There could be something sinister going on here.. when you left the phone with them, they could be sending private information to somewhere else such as your credit card details in wallet app or using their Outlook account to make copies of your emails and contacts for ID theft or to send spyware to your contacts and keep track of what your doing.

We can always check Settings > About > More Information .. and post up your:
Phone Name > OS version no > Firmware Version > Radio > Bootloader... and se if they match peoples on here.. which if they are not, this will strengthen a legal case.

Don't want to scare you but you MIGHT be being hacked through a tracking Outlook account, which is why they wont change it.
Whatever you do .. DO NOT Buy any apps or use Wallet at the moment.
Cheers

Last edited:

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to scare you but you MIGHT be being hacked through a tracking Outlook account, which is why they wont change it.
Whatever you do .. DO NOT Buy any apps or use Wallet at the moment.

Possible, what i don't understand is how the phone could be tampered with so that the camera and screenshots are disabled when using any account other than the stores potentially corrupt account? I guess it could be done somehow

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Possible, what i don't understand is how the phone could be tampered with so that the camera and screenshots are disabled when using any account other than the stores potentially corrupt account? I guess it could be done somehow

Its very easy to become a developer of Apps for WP8, its free, but whose to say its the store. Most likely they are using your email to track what you like and don't like, and they have partnered up with an advertising company to spam you with targeted adverts, still illegal, but not as serious as ID/CC theft, so whoever, is gathering your info could've written the app, not necessarily the store and because the Ativ S can be easily Interope Unlocked, then its easy to flash a Rom on it. If the OP going down the legal route, then some things he'll need:

-Don't reset the phone anymore, kep all the data on it.
-Check receipts and make sure all the parts of the box is there.
-Make a short Journal of what happened each visit, what was said and the outcome.. stick to facts though.
-Next time you go into the shop, take some one with you as a witness, then write down what happens, your witness can read back what happened, allowing you to focus on the task at hand
-Write down what is happening with the phone, when and how you did it.. from day 1.
-Go into the shop with your witness and demand a refund, if they refuse ask why.. and note their reaction.
-If your feeling ballsy, ask them WHY you have to use their account and that you believe they may be tracking you.. Suggest this though, don't accuse them, as you have no proof.. and watch their reaction.. note it down.
-Tell them if they don't give you a refund, not another phone., youll take the phone and their Outlook account to the police to be checked, after all.. how many more people could they be doing this too.
- If they start pointing fingers.. saying, "you damaged your phone, you reset and crashed it".. rubbish like that, remember, its your money, you are the innocent party here, you've done nothing wrong.
-Always write everything down. It makes life easier for everyone.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

urosinho

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
OMG! MICROV91 tell us which store you bought your phone in order to avoid them in future. But it definitely doesnt look good. Ja im nikad ne bih oprostio 200 EUR.

MICROV91

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
OMG! MICROV91 tell us which store you bought your phone in order to avoid them in future. But it definitely doesnt look good. Ja im nikad ne bih oprostio 200 EUR.

Pa kazem to je lokalna radnja imaju radnju samo ovde u Trsteniku , msm da imaju i u Krusevcu.

Ivan Armand Andrei

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have also a camera problem after updating to gdr2 when i try to take a pic using the physical button it shows like its takin the pic even the flash works but it doesn't save it,but when i take the pic using the touchscreen it works and it saves it.very strange i hope they will fix this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo