GDR3/Update 3 (Official consumer release, not developer preview)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
As was mentioned in this WPCentral article here (Own an unlocked Samsung ATIV S? You're next in line for Update 3 | Windows Phone Central), it appears that Update 3 is being made available to certain unlocked ATIV S handsets. Now, for "unlocked," I wonder if that also means "unbranded." If so, then it's likely that those with unlocked carrier-specific devices may have to wait a little bit longer.

For those with Update 3, what are your thoughts? Have you noticed any performance improvements?

Ugosan

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get the final GDR3 Update (8.0.10517.150 - firmware 2424.13.10.1) changing the phone CSC to ATO. All ok, except for the "delete temporary files" feature, which does not seem to work.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Deleting the "other" storage works, but there will always be temporary files. Some apps store the files there and the OS won't delete them. You should only start worrying about the "other" storage if it goes over 1gb, otherwise it's normal.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
From my experience so far with update 3 it seems to be a relatively minor update so far. Certainly nothing to write home about. However, all updates are extremely welcome and will only bring Windows Phone that much closer to the competition with each iteration. Roll on 8.1. :D

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Technically, the Developer Preview is the final, consumer version, of GDR3/Update 3. It was just released early via the developer program so app developers could optimize their apps, if necessary. Oh yeah, and there's the fact it finally let us bypass the carrier's evil clutches! Mwa ha ha!

Of course, the developer program doesn't get updated OEM firmware, so you're still reliant on the carrier for that (Let the complaints about AT&T withholding Lumia Black, begin!), but otherwise, the developer preview is the final version. Sorry, but you know... Technicalities...

I personally have been rocking Update 3 on my Lumia 1020 since day 1 of the developer preview program, love it! Now I'm dying for the Lumia Black firmware, I really want RAW support!

Christian Minassian

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
For those with German unbranded Ativs, you can change the CSC from DBT to ATO and get the update. Someone posted it on the news page and I just confirmed it's working on mine. Still unlocked and all features working.

Just type ##634# on the dialer, then enter *#321647335 on the diagnostics app to open the CSC selection menu, change it to ATO and your phone will factory reset with the new CSC, check for update and it should be there. Warning: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE. (Credits to Megasound for the CSC change code)

Deask Brofizz

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's soo annoying!! i need to turn my router off and on for a couple of times and it would detect it afterwards.....zzzzz i hope that the unlocked GDR3 will be coming and fix this ordeal....

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Technically, the Developer Preview is the final, consumer version, of GDR3/Update 3. It was just released early via the developer program so app developers could optimize their apps, if necessary. Of course, the developer program doesn't get updated OEM firmware, so you're still reliant on the carrier for that.
That's essentially what I'm going for. I want to see if anyone received a "proper" update and can give some insight on its performance specifically on the ATIV S. Observations about other devices aren't all that helpful here.

Christian Minassian

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been running GDR3 on mine for three days. No bugs, freezes, reboots, wifi or bluetooth issues (have been using it on my car).

Performance is a little better but it's subjective, mostly because I always hard reset my phone for major updates and that means not loading unused apps on the phone.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I always hard reset my phone for major updates and that means not loading unused apps on the phone.

I always do this as well, which I learned from my Galaxy S2 days on Android, always hard rest after an update.

Im in UK with an Unbranded Sim Free Ativ S, and I havent recieved GDR3 yet, so not sure when Samsung are releasing in Europe/UK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion