Ativ S user

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect replies to this post. Really just venting. (For me) my phone is an expensive investment. I have been fortunate in that both of my phones while on windows have worked exceedingly well. They both happen to be from Samsung. I neither dislike phones from other manufacturers nor do I wish to "convert" anyone to the phone I use. I come to WPCentral and take part in the discussions because I want to learn how to best use my phone and share the things I have learned. Today's article on the new Samsung app and the venomous comments that followed were so off-putting. the Samsung bashing is nothing new but for some reason it really felt like the last straw for me. I will no longer read comments following any article with Samsung content. It also bothered me that the writer of the article felt it necessary to include the words "to keep up with Nokia" in the title. completely unnecessary.
that being said, I sure am glad this forum exists and have learned a lot. thanks everyone.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It's also inaccurate, because Story Album was first made available on Samsung Galaxy S4 as part of their updated TouchWiz interface, which means that the app itself has been around since April 2013. I'm not sure how porting a 10 month old app to the ATIV S is to "keep up with Nokia," particularly since it predates the launch of their photography flagship, the 1020, by three months. To my understanding, Nokia's Storyteller is still in beta for Windows Phone. Who's keeping up with who here?

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, Sammy just go half-assed with WP, make devices without any ads, if any

Which means that the updates are released quicker so it's a trade off. They do add extra features but these are installed/updated via the store so updates for the phone and those features are quicker.

Faster updates vs. More features, your choice!!

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't expect replies to this post. Really just venting. (For me) my phone is an expensive investment. I have been fortunate in that both of my phones while on windows have worked exceedingly well. They both happen to be from Samsung. I neither dislike phones from other manufacturers nor do I wish to "convert" anyone to the phone I use. I come to WPCentral and take part in the discussions because I want to learn how to best use my phone and share the things I have learned. Today's article on the new Samsung app and the venomous comments that followed were so off-putting. the Samsung bashing is nothing new but for some reason it really felt like the last straw for me. I will no longer read comments following any article with Samsung content. It also bothered me that the writer of the article felt it necessary to include the words "to keep up with Nokia" in the title. completely unnecessary.
that being said, I sure am glad this forum exists and have learned a lot. thanks everyone.

Well put, it's not just Samsung users that are getting annoyed by it though as I noticed a lot of Nokia users are also getting annoyed by it as well ;-)

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Which means that the updates are released quicker so it's a trade off. They do add extra features but these are installed/updated via the store so updates for the phone and those features are quicker.

Faster updates vs. More features, your choice!!

Over here the ATIV S is available but you won't ever see any ads for it, and Sammy just make countless ads for their Galaxies

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
It's also kind of inaccurate, because Story Album was first made available on Samsung Galaxy S4 as part of their updated TouchWiz interface, which means that the app itself has been around since April 2013. I'm not sure how porting a 10 month old app to the ATIV S is to "keep up with Nokia."

But how long has Sammy made Windows Phones? They should have ported it waaay earlier

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
But how long has Sammy made Windows Phones? They should have ported it waaay earlier

Sammys been making windows phones since the beggining. Its not the prime investment though. Nokia will push numerous updates and phones because its really all they have. Nokia won't bee keeping Nokia X alive with more updates than the Lumia series either (or so they say) because that's not their prime investment. Samsung has android and google likes it that way. I don't blame Samsung, they have premium windows phones and I don't mind being in second place with them. I'll buy any WP they put out. ALL premium. :)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
If timing is the question, then we don't know why Samsung chose now to release the app for their ATIV S line. If they should have ported it "way earlier," they may have if the demand was high enough. But we don't know. It's as speculative as claiming that the app was ported to keep in pace with Nokia.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Over here the ATIV S is available but you won't ever see any ads for it, and Sammy just make countless ads for their Galaxies

As others have stated, that is because Android is their focus just as Windows Phone is the primary focus for Nokia.

My question is why certain Nokia users, we all know who they are, feel compelled to try converting non Nokia WP owners by using venomous comments on articles and, sometimes, the forums.

Last edited:

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
agreed with the comments here, the Nokia owners do bash other phones A LOT, i have a lumia 925 and tbh it has flaws and i told my sister to get a ativ S, but the nokia people on here always seems to act like certain problems don't exist and question you before accepting there is a fault with the phone itself, it is pathetic and just makes nokia look bad a tad.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... The Samsung bashing is getting a bit silly. At least they've kept up with updates better than Nokia has with my Lumia 810. I have very high hopes for the Ativ SE, and sure as hell hope it'll be based on the S5.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... The Samsung bashing is getting a bit silly. At least they've kept up with updates better than Nokia has with my Lumia 810. I have very high hopes for the Ativ SE, and sure as hell hope it'll be based on the S5.

Agreed, I think Samsung support their Windows Phone 8 devices way better than their Android ones e.g. my ATIV S has received all the updates so far from Samsung yet their Android devices get about one or two updates and then they scrap it for the next new device.

What I like is that they only have a couple of WP devices on the market and don't add masses of features into their firmware, this makes it easier for them to be kept up to date compared to the Android devices they have.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
But did you see the price!! ?350 for the cheapest new one (including delivery from Spain) up to ?483! I'm glad to have bought a couple from Expansys last month for ?179 ea. There must be somewhere in the EU that will sell cheaper ... didn't I see on another thread ref to 200 euros for a new phone?

I do love my Ativ S but bearing in mind it's been around a bit now I don't think I'd have paid much more than I did.

That said, Neo, you did find Ativ S's available in UK!

All the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb