[Guide] How to revert back to WP8 GDR3 from WP8.1 DP

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have tried to revert back to WP8 from 8.1 update 1 but it seems this method does not work. On two separate windows 7 machines (one of which I used to go back from 98.1 previously) the device is not seen in download mode. The computer thinks it is a mass storage device connected.

Has anyone any ideas or have they downgraded from 8.1 update 1 to 8?

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to revert back to WP8 from 8.1 update 1 but it seems this method does not work. On two separate windows 7 machines (one of which I used to go back from 98.1 previously) the device is not seen in download mode. The computer thinks it is a mass storage device connected.

Has anyone any ideas or have they downgraded from 8.1 update 1 to 8?

you are doing it wrong
follow the instructions step by step.. install Samsung drivers etc.
I did it on WIN 8.1 and everything worked fine

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Look pal, I am not "doing it wrong ". I have already flashed back from 8.1 to 8 in order to get update 1. The problem is that the computer that I used to do this does not see the phone.

It looks like I will have to sell it with the preview on it instead of being on proper firmware.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

BigD_8_1

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I am Dmitry, and I have successfully reverted my Samsung ATIV S to Wp8 GDR3 as originally described.
So thanks to the author who made an instruction and prepared the files on yandex.disk!
It worked like charm on my Windows 7 VirtualBox with administrator rights and antivirus software switched off. I switched the anti-virus since such has been suggested for Nokia Phoenix flashing exercise.

The way is even more straightforward than the one with Symbian flashing.
First, install the USB driver and switch the phone to Download mode.
Plug it to the PC and see the phone connected as USB Windows phone device in device manager. Then you can work with WP8 SMD binary USB Downloader Ver. 3.47.exe. No need to install, just run from the directory where you saved it. The program will verify the binaries as you open them. It is quite difficult to make a mistake. When the binaries are verified, unplug and plug the phone back to the PC.
You need to see the phone connected to USB Downloader Ver. 3.47.exe! Then choose the options as suggested by the author and press "Start". The flashing exercise will take a while, and, if finished successfully, the phone will reboot automatically, and you see a WP 8 Welcome screen.
Success with reverting, and remember that I take no responsibility if finally you brick your phone.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Look pal, I am not "doing it wrong ". I have already flashed back from 8.1 to 8 in order to get update 1. The problem is that the computer that I used to do this does not see the phone.

It looks like I will have to sell it with the preview on it instead of being on proper firmware.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Look pal, something is wrong either with you phone or your PC. I wouldnt sell my phone just because of this mini problem. 1st. of all find a new pc and repeat the whole process and then (if nothing changes) try hard reset and repeat the flashing again. I installed WP 8.0 3xtimes and never had any problems. Good luck

BTW: remove the memory card (if you have)

Last edited:

pinkgr

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

Thanks for posting this tutorial, on reverting back the ATIV S. I tried but I have run into a small problem: the Samsung drive doesn't install on my win 8.1 PC. There seems to be a driver, as when I run the msi it asks whether I want to repair or unistall the driver. Choosing repair ends up into a "driver not installed"-kinda window. What should I do?

Other ways to revert it back?

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello there!

Thanks for posting this tutorial, on reverting back the ATIV S. I tried but I have run into a small problem: the Samsung drive doesn't install on my win 8.1 PC. There seems to be a driver, as when I run the msi it asks whether I want to repair or unistall the driver. Choosing repair ends up into a "driver not installed"-kinda window. What should I do?

Other ways to revert it back?

you need to force Windows to install unsigned drivers then repeat the installation process of the drivers.
How to turn off driver signature in Windows 8.1 - look here:

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
that doesn't help. the program doesn't recognize the phone. drivers installed. win 8.1 ent X64.
will try on windows 7 laptop.

Miller Oliveira

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Galera alguma alma boa poderia fazer um tutorial em v?deo de como se faz esse dowgrade pra GDR3? n?o entendo direito ingl?s e com a tradu??o autom?tica ta dif?cil entender a instru??o.

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I guess I bricked my phone. Stopped unexpected in download mode, now when I connect it to usb, windows phone 8 SMD binary downloader stops working. Any ideas?

error2.jpg

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Try another version of smd downloader, change to another usb port,turn off if you have antivirus and did you try on windows 7 or windows 8?

Tried SMD downloader ver 3.47 and 3.33.1, changed cable and usb port, nothing happens. Only thing is to try on win 7, because i'm on Win 8.1 now.

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
On windows 8 have problem with unsignet driver. Search on google how to disable(install) check for unsignet driver, but if you have win 7 you will don,t have a problem.

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
On windows 8 have problem with unsignet driver. Search on google how to disable(install) check for unsignet driver, but if you have win 7 you will don,t have a problem.

i've installed the driver, smd downloader started fine and detected my phone, the update began, but at some point it stopped with the error from above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss