How's everything with the newest 8.1 update?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When the final build of 8.1 is publicly released, and it becomes available for users of the developer preview instantly so we don't have to wait for the networks we are on to roll it out, will this include the Samsung firmware, or will we have to wait for the networks to push that out?

If it's a SIM free device then you won't need to wait for networks to push the update out, if it's a network branded device then you'll have to wait for the network to test the update first. Yes, it will include Samsung firmware.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My Ativ S works better then before, battery lasts longer and i love the 3 tiles in one row. Till now i haven't found any problems, also not with the camera. I have wp 8.1 now for 3 weeks and it's just amazing!
Btw: yesterday i could download the Ativ Camera app from the store, but today not anymore? Is it removed from the store?

t333to

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I have a ATIV S with the latest dev preview and everything seems to work nicely, even the camera isn't rebooting anymore and flash works again - after first updates camera was messed.

One thing to note - I have disabled all the extra Samsung settings as a lot of them depend on drivers!

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Finally I lost most of the contents of my SD card after the latest crash. The WPsystem hidden folder is still intact fortunately, but it is becoming unreliable. This is a SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 microSDHC 32 GB card, which has a very poor review on the net. I am going to purchase the Samsung EVO or Plus microSDHC class 10 card today. That one has excellent review and hopefully would work better on Ativ S; it's Samsung card on Samsung phone so what could go wrong, right?

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
With the recent update I have seen some significant saving on my battery power. However, this brought a **** load of problems:
1. Music ALWAYS crashes! (I'm on my 5th clean hard reset but no sign of a remedy)
2. Resets like crazy every other day.
3. Audio blows out and I'm forced to reboot the device.
4. Phone has seen a significant hit in performance. For example, FB and Music take a significant amount of time to start up, if it's I'm running every app in the background (which I'm not since I set up the background tasks to make sure the phone is running smooth).

Last but not least, I have this dreaded freeze on idle. If I leave my device alone for some hours without touching it the phone just locks up on the main screen. IDK how this is happening but I'm disappointed in how Sammy hasn't given us an update in a FW update to address these issues, unlike Nokia/Microsoft as they have started rolling out Cyan in hopes of addressing the bugs on their phone lineup.

danijel0000

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to check out "Call duration /incoming-outgoing" on ATIV S?
Can't find it anywhere, stupid if there's no that "option" because even cheap dumbphones has it.
my ATIV S using Tapatalk

moosh101

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Greetings.
I am in need of some advice. After successfully updating my Samsung ATIV S to WP8.1, everything seems ok except for a few niggling bugs and quite significant battery drain. Battery Saver estimated only 13 hours of use when fully charged, but only lasts maybe 4 hours at the most.

I am considering doing a hard reset (haven't done one ever) to see if this resolves the issues but am a little hesitant due to some reports that it could cause more problems than it fixes. Some have talked about loss of cellular data settings, continuous loops, etc, etc.

Has anyone with a Samsung ATIV S using WP8.1 DP done a hard reset and if so how did it go for you? Anyone else experiencing battery drain on their ATIV's with 8.1 (8.10.12397.895) ?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice anyone can offer.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Greetings.
I am in need of some advice. After successfully updating my Samsung ATIV S to WP8.1, everything seems ok except for a few niggling bugs and quite significant battery drain. Battery Saver estimated only 13 hours of use when fully charged, but only lasts maybe 4 hours at the most.

I am considering doing a hard reset (haven't done one ever) to see if this resolves the issues but am a little hesitant due to some reports that it could cause more problems than it fixes. Some have talked about loss of cellular data settings, continuous loops, etc, etc.

Has anyone with a Samsung ATIV S using WP8.1 DP done a hard reset and if so how did it go for you? Anyone else experiencing battery drain on their ATIV's with 8.1 (8.10.12397.895) ?

I've done a factory reset on my ATIV S, no major problems and it significantly improved the battery life. I did have a loss of cellular data but that was an easy fix using the mobile+SIM section in settings to manually enter the APNs. Just make sure you plug it into the mains first and even when it looks like its hung on the spinning cogs or at the restoring stage, just leave it.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Greetings.

Definitely hard reset. Without backup. That fixed my battery drain and the phone runs smoothly with the exception of the camera bug. (That will be fixed with firmware). Just FYI, the ringtone defaults to "Over the Horizon" when you soft/hard reset with 8.1 dev preview.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

moosh101

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
hi guys, mustered up the courage and did a hard reset (factory restore) and it appears to have fixed the battery drain, also some of the niggly bugs seem to have gone to. I assign separate ringtones for both calls & txts (really like this option) for each of my contacts, rather than use a single ringtone for all, and this seems to work, though I did notice a soft reset reset the ringtone back to its default. Also noticed the ascent colour had reverted to blue, instead of the silver one I prefer. Had a few issues with the store not able to display my apps history, so used the store website in IE11 to open my account and view my purchase history. I then re-installed them one by one (I did do a backup to onedrive before the reset and the backups appeared to be saved, but after the reset there are no backups saved on onedrive...strange?)

All in all it was definitely worth doing the hard reset, phone seems snappier, apps work better & seem to be integrating with the OS better. Lets hope Samsung release the firmware soon so we can use our cameras and flash's again, not to mention being able to use a ringtone of our choice.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
hi guys, mustered up the courage and did a hard reset (factory restore) and it appears to have fixed the battery drain, also some of the niggly bugs seem to have gone to. I assign separate ringtones for both calls & txts (really like this option) for each of my contacts, rather than use a single ringtone for all, and this seems to work, though I did notice a soft reset reset the ringtone back to its default. Also noticed the ascent colour had reverted to blue, instead of the silver one I prefer. Had a few issues with the store not able to display my apps history, so used the store website in IE11 to open my account and view my purchase history. I then re-installed them one by one (I did do a backup to onedrive before the reset and the backups appeared to be saved, but after the reset there are no backups saved on onedrive...strange?)

All in all it was definitely worth doing the hard reset, phone seems snappier, apps work better & seem to be integrating with the OS better. Lets hope Samsung release the firmware soon so we can use our cameras and flash's again, not to mention being able to use a ringtone of our choice.

Everything you mentioned there was fixed using a factory reset for me as well. Regarding the camera, Lenses seem to work so for the moment I'm using ProShot instead.

mughal90

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I am in Malaysia and jus got the 8.1DP on my Ativ S. No hard reset done for now. So far everything that i use is working fine. Haven't tested it too much cz it's my spare phone but wifi, bluetooth, camera, mobile internet, flash working. Battery time is also good like before. Notification centre is good and the extra tiles and custom background is very cool.

Waiting for the new lockscreen to come. Only thing is if i use facebook as lockscreen wallpaper no pic shows up, just a blue plain fb screen.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So glad you're having a good experience. For me it was like getting a new phone. Good stuff. Looking forward to getting the Samsung firmware.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Never had this feeling before, but i'm starting to get jealous towards the Nokia owners.. Getting informed about when their fancy Cyan update is rolling out for them, as for us WP Samsung users, no information what so ever if we are even going to get some updated drivers. Sure, all the signs are there that we are going to get some updated drivers for 8.1, but no website to even confirm that -or an ETA-, or any basic information what so ever. :(

Don't get me wrong, I still friggin love my Ativ, but this kinda bugs me. Esp. since the bugs introduced with the 8.1 DP are this friggin annoying. (wonky bluetooth, that stupid ingtone issue, camera app..)

Also, 8.1 on the Ativ could do with an graphics update i think. Maybe it's just my device, but i've noticed that since 8.1, whenever i scroll fast in, for example the app list or through the store, the screen seems to be lagging some. It's really not that noticable, but it looks like a very tiny stutter every now and again. It's just more noticable than with 8.0 i guess. Anyone experience the same thing?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb