How's everything with the newest 8.1 update?

tohni

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I registered just to ask this: am I the only one who has the problem of low static sound in the background when doing something else but listening to music? I.e. When I listen to music and browse the web simultaneously, I get this static sound / these small pops in the background; once I stop doing something beside listening to music, the problem is gone. Is this down to the software? Am I alone on this one?

Edit: forgot to mention, I am on an international Ativ S, running WP 8.10.12397.895

anon(8208347)

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't download the latest Windows Phone 8.1 Update known as update 1, including Cortana etc, I get this error code after about 1 min of spinning gears: "0x80188308"

Last edited:

uixnn

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I can't download the latest Windows Phone 8.1 Update known as update 1, including Cortana etc, I get this error code after about 1 mind of spinning gears: "0x80188308"

Me too. Just one question: Do you have the stock csc region code or did you change it?

I changed it and I'm suspecting it can be the problem's cause...

EDIT: I don't think it's a csv related issue. Some lumia users are having the same error forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/301041-running-into-problem-80188308-installing-gdr1-pre-update.html

anon(8208347)

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Just one question: Do you have the stock csc region code or did you change it?

I changed it and I'm suspecting it can be the problem's cause...

EDIT: I don't think it's a csv related issue. Some lumia users are having the same error forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/301041-running-into-problem-80188308-installing-gdr1-pre-update.html
No, never changed the CSC. I'm in the UK by the way if that at all helps shed light on the issue.

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't download the latest Windows Phone 8.1 Update known as update 1, including Cortana etc, I get this error code after about 1 mind of spinning gears: "0x80188308"

Neither can I...

Samsung ativ s unlocked, in Israel
Anyone knows a fix for it??

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't like 8.1
They way they did the Facebook integration is ridiculously slow. I used to be able to tap a contact, swipe once and see their FB/Twitter activity, now it's nothing for Twitter, and extra tap and slow wait for FB. Like I see what they were trying to do with all of this but the actual execution is bad. FB contacts refuse to show in the contacts list.

Skype is slow as hell, and shocked that it isn't baked into the OS. Should be.

Sliding from the top of the screen for notifications basically eliminated the need for a live tile. Would like an option to group like notifications from the same person/status/app.

Internet Explorer got worse. When navigating these forums (refuse to use the horrid app) it has to load like 4-5 times when in vanilla WP8 it just did once. Overall slower.

Wifi took a hit with signal strength somehow.

Seems like MS gets a vision, then back away as far as possible from it, they did it with Xbox One, did it with W8.1, now WP8.1, this seems less like Windows Phone and more like "Hey, lets do what everyone else is doing to try to appeal to the masses" and ended up a sloppy, disjointed mess in the process. I wish the T899M had a GDR3 ROM I could flash to.

I still can tap a contact swipe twice (extra step) and see facebook and twitter updates.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Neither can I...

Samsung ativ s unlocked, in Israel
Anyone knows a fix for it??
Disable/enable preview for developers checkbox seems to fix it ive read elsewhere on this forum. However, dont get your hopes up, it doesnt fix the Samsung specific issues (ringtone, bluetooth) we are having. Still need updated firmware.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Something strange happened after I installed Update 1. I was initially set to the US Region so I can use Cortana, but since this update includes the Alpha for the Canadian region, I switched back. However, two of my apps would crash when trying to launch them: Twitter, and WPCentral. If I checked Twitter through Notification Center messages (individual tweets), the app would work, but would crash upon trying to return to the home screen. WPCentral wouldn't launch at all. I managed to find a workaround by uninstalling and reinstalling those apps. Has anybody else experienced similar issues after updating their OS?

I haven't played with the camera yet, but I imagine the firmware problems still remain.

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Disable/enable preview for developers checkbox seems to fix it ive read elsewhere on this forum. However, dont get your hopes up, it doesnt fix the Samsung specific issues (ringtone, bluetooth) we are having. Still need updated firmware.

I tried that, didn't work :(
Would changing my region do anything? or would I be just wasting my time?

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Another trick i've read. Check first if you have "enough" free space on device. Best to have several GB's free. Then, remove microsd. Try to install update again. Fixed the problem for some people i've read.

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Another trick i've read. Check first if you have "enough" free space on device. Best to have several GB's free. Then, remove microsd. Try to install update again. Fixed the problem for some people i've read.

I have 10gb available on my phone, didn't work
Removed SD card, still didn't work
Formatted SD card, still didn't work 😡

Idk what to do now... Don't feel like waiting for Microsoft to fix this, they take too long fixing things

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
no problem with IE but yes, hearing "over the horizon" if I forget to change it after restarting, makes me want to throw the phone against the wall(she says in jest). here is my biggest issue, though...I was planning to purchase the ativ se late june but my ativ s is doing such a fine job now that I am having a tough time rationalizing the money spent on a new phone. poor me. considering the phone was released almost 18 months ago, that's quite something.

Im thinking exatly the same :grin:

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Pretty slick and fast as usual. Websites seems to load faster, could it be because of the new rendering engine. One annoying bug was born with the update. Sometimes when opening basic app, such as phone or messages, the screen goes unresponsive for some seconds, and then blam! It goes where I first pressed...
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have 10gb available on my phone, didn't work
Removed SD card, still didn't work
Formatted SD card, still didn't work ��

Idk what to do now... Don't feel like waiting for Microsoft to fix this, they take too long fixing things
Hmm, that sucks. Ive run out of ideas. :( Yeah, maybe a hard reset, but thats a pita to be honest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett