ATIV S and boy do I need help

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Background: I bought a new Samsung ATIV S, my first smartphone and also to replace both my very old Nokia 6100 and very old HP iPAQ rx1750 (Mobile 5), the latter which took care of my Word and Excel files amongst other things. The ATIS S was supposed to take care of both of those items.

For starters, I want ALL my files to be stored on my microSD card, not on my phone's memory or some cloud or SkyDrive. I went to Phone Storage and all I could set to my SD Card are New Music & Videos and Pictures. What about everything else? Also, it seems my OneNote files are stored somewhere off my phone as well (it is looking to synchronize).

I also installed Pocket File Manager since this fancy phone does not come with a file manager (my 14 year old HP iPAQ does).
The Root has 3 file folders: Phone's Storage, SD Card and Local Storage (what is the difference between Phone's Storage and Local Storage ?).

When I go to Office - places - phone documents on your phone, there are 7 files. Yet they are nowhere in the Phone's Storage or Local Storage folders when in Pocket File Manager. What gives? And only 2 of them show up in the SD folder. Go figure!

Any help appreciated. I can normally figure these things out...slowly, but I am stumped. This phone is damn nice, but it isn't what I expected. I am still relying on my HP iPAQ.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You can copy your files from PC to phone SDcard using a USB connection. Using your phone's office app you can access documents on your SD card. There are some crippled 3rd party file manager apps, but easiest thing to do for now is use your PC's file manager, MS has promised a file manager app this month!

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Your phone will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1 sometime in June-August. The update bring the ability to properly use a File Manager.

Even Pocket File Manager has extended functionality

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if this post sounds harsh, that's not my intent. You need to get out of the "this is the way my previous device does it, why doesn't WP8 do the same thing" mentality, you aren't alone though as a lot of former iOS and Android users did the same thing as well.

Unless you're a business user then you're hobbling your experience by refusing to use OneDrive for syncing content and, yes, OneNote uses OneDrive to keep notebooks in sync across devices and that includes tablets, desktops and laptops.

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
MS has promised a file manager app this month!

Your phone will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1 sometime in June-August. The update bring the ability to properly use a File Manager.

I hope they took their time so that they get it right, It is MS after all.

Even Pocket File Manager has extended functionality

Yet as I mentioned in my OP, it does not even see all the files I have on my device. Go figure!

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
You need to get out of the "this is the way my previous device does it, why doesn't WP8 do the same thing" mentality...

Well it should at least do what something as un-smart and basic as my HP iPAQ PDA of 14 years past does. Otherwise we are going backwards and not progressing.

Unless you're a business user then you're hobbling your experience by refusing to use OneDrive for syncing content and, yes, OneNote uses OneDrive to keep notebooks in sync across devices and that includes tablets, desktops and laptops.

I don't have an issue with stuff synched to my personal home devices, but there is no way I am putting any of my personal stuff on some site elsewhere...not going to happen, period! And those devices are never on-line. Its a matter of not trusting the NSA. LOL

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well it should at least do what something as un-smart and basic as my HP iPAQ PDA of 14 years past does. Otherwise we are going backwards and not progressing.

I don't have an issue with stuff synched to my personal home devices, but there is no way I am putting any of my personal stuff on some site elsewhere...not going to happen, period! And those devices are never on-line. Its a matter of not trusting the NSA. LOL

Without wanting to cause an argument, why are you worried about the NSA going through your documents if you have nothing to hide?

You think your documents are safer on an SD card than on a server somewhere, think again, it doesn't matter where you store your documents, if a government agency wants access to them then they'll get it with or without your consent.

The only completely safe computing device is one that is shutdown and unplugged, unfortunately that also makes it as useful as a paper weight.

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Without wanting to cause an argument, why are you worried about the NSA going through your documents if you have nothing to hide?

Its a matter of privacy, even when you have nothing to hide. My internet computer has its HD pretty well empty with nothing personal on it.

myrandex

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site

Eh I don't always think that applies. Many 14 year,old devices synced using an ActiveSync application using a USB, Bluetooth, or IrDA connection. The fact that WP7 and WP8 didn't support those capabilities didn't leave me feeling left out.

I do look forward to Microsoft's file manager though I will admit it, and the office version in WP7 is downright crippled compared to WM 6.x other than the inclusion of Sharepoint. Worse Exchange policy support, reduced features in word and excel, and many other examples are unfortunate. At least it is improving.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Its a matter of privacy, even when you have nothing to hide. My internet computer has its HD pretty well empty with nothing personal on it.

I don't think that a smartphone is for you then as there's very little you can do on one without an internet connection. Updates are delivered to the phone as OTA updates, OneNote syncs to the cloud by default and with Windows Phone 8.1 all settings are backed up to the cloud. None of those things you'll want to do as you'll have personal information on your phone.

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that a smartphone is for you then as there's very little you can do on one without an internet connection.

It appears so.

All I wanted is a phone with a PDA built-in for Word and Excel so that I can get rid of my PDA and have less to carry on trips . You mean to say I cannot install a mobile version of MS Word and MS Excel. If that is the case, nice phone, but kind of useless.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It appears so.

All I wanted is a phone with a PDA built-in for Word and Excel so that I can get rid of my PDA and have less to carry on trips . You mean to say I cannot install a mobile version of MS Word and MS Excel. If that is the case, nice phone, but kind of useless.

No, Word and Excel are built in via the Office Hub. What I'm saying is that without an Internet connection then modern smartphones are no better than the dumb phones they replace. Coincidentally this Microsoft awarded top marks for protecting user data from prying governments | Windows Phone Central tells me that Microsoft services are far more secure than those of other companies.

Travelled1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks neo,

I've decided to use my phone as just a phone with the added bonus of having a camera, video camera and for playing music and videos.

I'll still be using my iPAQ for MS Word & Excel plus notes, etc. Amazing how durable it is. I think I bought it in 2001 or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon