Ativ S Wp8.1

Jakub Louthan

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys i need to know this
1) when will be awayable (sorry for my english) official wp8.1
2) Ativs camera doesnt take a good pics and videos. It is in very bad quality.
3) camera doest vorks some time, but reboot fit it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys i need to know this
1) when will be awayable (sorry for my english) official wp8.1
2) Ativs camera doesnt take a good pics and videos. It is in very bad quality.
3) camera doest vorks some time, but reboot fit it.

1) I've heard June 24th is the date it will start to roll out. AFAIK DP users with unlocked devices get it first, then unlocked devices running WP8 and then carrier branded devices running WP8 or the DP.
2) The camera isn't that bad but if you have the DP then Samsung Firmware should fix image and video quality.
3)Again, this is an issue that Samsung Firmware will fix.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have another question regarding to WP8.1 on ATIV S, currently I can only update my phone to GDR2, no GDR3 available in my region yet, so what would the update procedure be? Is it allowing my phone to update to GDR3 first, then update to WP8.1 later?

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have another question regarding to WP8.1 on ATIV S, currently I can only update my phone to GDR2, no GDR3 available in my region yet, so what would the update procedure be? Is it allowing my phone to update to GDR3 first, then update to WP8.1 later?

I'm on the same boat. I very recently bought an Ativ S and I'm stuck with GDR2. I'm aware of the issues related to the camera in the 8.1 DP, however, my main concern is to how bad things can get if I make the jump from GDR2 to 8.1...

But answering your question, yes, you'll get all the OS updates from your GDR2 to the last build of 8.1. I'm not sure if you'll receive the firmware update from Samsung's GDR3 during the process, so we'll need to do some research first.

I really intend to update my Ativ S before the official update, mostly because GDR3 is taking forever to reach my phone/country (unlocked device in Brazil). PM me if you also want, I'll set some alternatives if something goes wrong. We might do it together.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the same boat. I very recently bought an Ativ S and I'm stuck with GDR2. I'm aware of the issues related to the camera in the 8.1 DP, however, my main concern is to how bad things can get if I make the jump from GDR2 to 8.1...

But answering your question, yes, you'll get all the OS updates from your GDR2 to the last build of 8.1. I'm not sure if you'll receive the firmware update from Samsung's GDR3 during the process, so we'll need to do some research first.

I really intend to update my Ativ S before the official update, mostly because GDR3 is taking forever to reach my phone/country (unlocked device in Brazil). PM me if you also want, I'll set some alternatives if something goes wrong. We might do it together.
Jordano, my friend, how's it going? :) Look, u r stuck with the GDR2? Really? I have a solution for you to get the GDR3, but since you are in Brazil, i am not sure if it's gonna work, but you can try. :)
- (This is tested on ATIV S i8750, international version, don't know if it works on others)
1. Back up everything (messages, emails, pictures, music, videos, contacts, etc) cuz this will require few hard resets.
2. Install Diagnosis app (you know how to to that right? Type ##634# in your phone pad and it installs automatically)
3 Open Diagnosis center and in that number pad type *#321647335 (it will open the list of available CSC's on your phone)
4. See if you can find CSC's with names like NEE (Nordic) or ATO (Austrian, not Australian), I would go with NEE, which worked for me immediately, if not then search for ATO, if you don't have both, try any other. don't worry, this will not void your warranty :)
5. Your phone will now hard reset, when that finish, wait for about 5 min and do a soft reset, so everything comes to order (this is "just in case" option)
6. Then go to Phone update and hit the button Check For Updates. (always set this to Manually, cuz if not, it will be a background process and will drain your battery, little but it will).
7. If everything is ok, you will be prompted with a new update (the GDR3) and happy updating :)
Hope this help you, cuz i did the exact same method and it worked for me from the first try. Updating with GDR3 will take some time, but you are already familiar with that. And from what i did a re-search about WP8.1 (DP or Official when it comes), you will have to have the GDR3 update already installed, you can't go from WP8 GDR2 to WP8.1
Please, if you try this method, notify me if it worked to you.
P.S. About switching the CSC's, don't worry, you can always go back to your original CSC that came with your phone, just repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 and choose your domestic CSC.

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Jordano, my friend, how's it going? :) Look, u r stuck with the GDR2? Really? I have a solution for you to get the GDR3, but since you are in Brazil, i am not sure if it's gonna work, but you can try. :)
- (This is tested on ATIV S i8750, international version, don't know if it works on others)
1. Back up everything (messages, emails, pictures, music, videos, contacts, etc) cuz this will require few hard resets.
2. Install Diagnosis app (you know how to to that right? Type ##634# in your phone pad and it installs automatically)
3 Open Diagnosis center and in that number pad type *#321647335 (it will open the list of available CSC's on your phone)
4. See if you can find CSC's with names like NEE (Nordic) or ATO (Austrian, not Australian), I would go with NEE, which worked for me immediately, if not then search for ATO, if you don't have both, try any other. don't worry, this will not void your warranty :)
5. Your phone will now hard reset, when that finish, wait for about 5 min and do a soft reset, so everything comes to order (this is "just in case" option)
6. Then go to Phone update and hit the button Check For Updates. (always set this to Manually, cuz if not, it will be a background process and will drain your battery, little but it will).
7. If everything is ok, you will be prompted with a new update (the GDR3) and happy updating :)
Hope this help you, cuz i did the exact same method and it worked for me from the first try. Updating with GDR3 will take some time, but you are already familiar with that. And from what i did a re-search about WP8.1 (DP or Official when it comes), you will have to have the GDR3 update already installed, you can't go from WP8 GDR2 to WP8.1
Please, if you try this method, notify me if it worked to you.
P.S. About switching the CSC's, don't worry, you can always go back to your original CSC that came with your phone, just repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 and choose your domestic CSC.

Hi, Boris, I'm great, thanks for asking. I hope you're fine too!

So, yes, I'm stuck with GDR2. I contacted Samsung hoping it would clarify me when exactly the update would arrive for me; I was then informed that GDRs are a slow rollout (better call them trollout, at least in this specific case). Many users in Brazil, believe it or not, are still relying on GDR1; my researches revealed some mix between all GDRs here.

I really appreciate your tip and help. However, I found this procedure somewhere in the web and tried it out, but I found out I only have the CSC ZTO available; ZTO, as my other Bings discovered, is the unlocked ATIV S GT-I8750 (which is the same as yours). Just ZTO...lol. (I attached a screenshot).

I was glad to install the 8.1 Update Developer Preview on my Lumia 520, since both this 520 and my Ativ S are developer bound (thanks to the Dreamspark of my college, so no need to to the "standard" procedure WP users usually do). The result was absolutely great, however, I'm reluctant in doing this to my Ativ S mostly for some personally inconvenient bugs that the 8.1 DP brings to our device. Apart your solution, which is neat and clean, alternatives I found on XDA seem to potentially brick the Ativ S or simply cause some headaches.

What about you? Have you tried the 8.1 Developer Preview? I'm eager to try it, but very very cautious about the eventual problems. Also interesting to know that it's not possible to go from GDR2 to WP 8.1; but wouldn't I receive the GDR3 then the 8.1 during the process? Or I have to have the GDR3 firmware too? My bet is that once you go developer preview and are stuck in GDR2, the GDR3 OS and firmware would come as well...correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks, my friend! In the mean time, I'm patiently waiting... :)

wp_ss_20140530_0001.png

Last edited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Boris, I'm great, thanks for asking. I hope you're fine too!

So, yes, I'm stuck with GDR2. I contacted Samsung hoping it would clarify me when exactly the update would arrive for me; I was then informed that GDRs are a slow rollout (better call them trollout, at least in this specific case). Many users in Brazil, believe it or not, are still relying on GDR1; my researches revealed some mix between all GDRs here.

I really appreciate your tip and help. However, I found this procedure somewhere in the web and tried it out, but I found out I only have the CSC ZTO available; ZTO, as my other Bings discovered, is the unlocked ATIV S GT-I8750 (which is the same as yours). Just ZTO...lol. (I attached a screenshot).

I was glad to install the 8.1 Update Developer Preview on my Lumia 520, since both this 520 and my Ativ S are developer bound (thanks to the Dreamspark of my college, so no need to to the "standard" procedure WP users usually do). The result was absolutely great, however, I'm reluctant in doing this to my Ativ S mostly for some personally inconvenient bugs that the 8.1 DP brings to our device. Apart your solution, which is neat and clean, alternatives I found on XDA seem to potentially brick the Ativ S or simply cause some headaches.

What about you? Have you tried the 8.1 Developer Preview? I'm eager to try it, but very very cautious about the eventual problems. Also interesting to know that it's not possible to go from GDR2 to WP 8.1; but wouldn't I receive the GDR3 then the 8.1 during the process? Or I have to have the GDR3 firmware too? My bet is that once you go developer preview and are stuck in GDR2, the GDR3 OS and firmware would come as well...correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks, my friend! In the mean time, I'm patiently waiting... :)

View attachment 68399
Holy crap Jordano, just ONE CSC? I have 40 different CSC's on my phone including yours too, the ZTO. That sucks dude, I'm sorry for that.
Ok so you are screwed with the changing CSC's and get the GDR3, but lets see what was your other questions to answer them.
- About the WP8.1 DP on our ATIV S (i8750), some users from what i found through forums are complaining about the camera randomly shut downs, which will be fixed with an update when the official WP8.1 rolls out. And they have random rebootings too, but from what i read, many of them with this bug usually solved their problems with a soft reset and if that doesn't go, then a hard reset fixes that. If you ask me, I will rather wait for the OFFICIAL WP8.1 to roll out, cuz i am pretty much satisfied with the GDR3.
- About the upgrade from GDR2 to WP8.1 DP, i thought that it is impossible, that you have to have the GDR3 installed. Technically this is true, but you CAN go from GDR2 to WP8.1 DP but you will be rocking the firmware from GDR2. And the firmware of GDR3 has some features that are needed for the upgrade and smooth working on WP8.1 DP which the firmware of GDR2 don't have it and it may cause random or constant reboots of the phone with WP8.1 DP. Got the picture, right?
- With the WP8.1 DP you don't automatically get the GDR3 and its firmware that goes along with it. You will have WP8.1 DP but running on a firmware from GDR2, which is ok, but not good or stable. This is not a confirmed news but its more of my logical thinking cuz i was previouslly a Window Mobile 6.5 Cook, making custom WM6.5 ROMs.
- About your thinking should you or how to get the GDR3 or CSC or whatever, i found this link that might help you. However my advice to you and all others who has same questions as you is: DO NOT do anything on your device if you don't know how to do it or totally understanding what are you doing. Do a big research through pages, forums, etc before you do any kind of tweaking or hacking on your device, cuz chances of you ending with bricked phone are huge if you don't know what the hell are you doing, are we clear on this? Good! :)))))))))

Here is the link: How to Flash a Different Stock ROM on the Samsung ATIV S | TheUnlockr

Last edited:

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Holy crap Jordano, just ONE CSC? I have 40 different CSC's on my phone including yours too, the ZTO. That sucks dude, I'm sorry for that.
Ok so you are screwed with the changing CSC's and get the GDR3, but lets see what was your other questions to answer them.
- About the WP8.1 DP on our ATIV S (i8750), some users from what i found through forums are complaining about the camera randomly shut downs, which will be fixed with an update when the official WP8.1 rolls out. And they have random rebootings too, but from what i read, many of them with this bug usually solved their problems with a soft reset and if that doesn't go, then a hard reset fixes that. If you ask me, I will rather wait for the OFFICIAL WP8.1 to roll out, cuz i am pretty much satisfied with the GDR3.
- About the upgrade from GDR2 to WP8.1 DP, i thought that it is impossible, that you have to have the GDR3 installed. Technically this is true, but you CAN go from GDR2 to WP8.1 DP but you will be rocking the firmware from GDR2. And the firmware of GDR3 has some features that are needed for the upgrade and smooth working on WP8.1 DP which the firmware of GDR2 don't have it and it may cause random or constant reboots of the phone with WP8.1 DP. Got the picture, right?
- With the WP8.1 DP you don't automatically get the GDR3 and its firmware that goes along with it. You will have WP8.1 DP but running on a firmware from GDR2, which is ok, but not good or stable. This is not a confirmed news but its more of my logical thinking cuz i was previouslly a Window Mobile 6.5 Cook, making custom WM6.5 ROMs.
- About your thinking should you or how to get the GDR3 or CSC or whatever, i found this link that might help you. However my advice to you and all others who has same questions as you is: DO NOT do anything on your device if you don't know how to do it or totally understanding what are you doing. Do a big research through pages, forums, etc before you do any kind of tweaking or hacking on your device, cuz chances of you ending with bricked phone are huge if you don't know what the hell are you doing, are we clear on this? Good! :)))))))))

Here is the link: How to Flash a Different Stock ROM on the Samsung ATIV S | TheUnlockr

Hey, Boris, sorry if I took long to reply. How's things?

I wanna thank you for all your effort and attention, first of all.

So I took a look at your link and discovered that those stock ROMs didn't support the CSC ZTO at all. I did a little research and read about some Brazilians that flashed non-ZTO ROMs onto their Ativs; there were complaints about the general network performance and loss of APN settings. I thought carefully about flashing, and decided it was actually a risky step, just like you said. I'm very experienced with Android (I took my Nexus 4 for a lot of journeys, lol), but Android is another story...very very easy to work with flashing and full of capabilities to recover your OS + firmware. (Plus I'm very curious about your experience making Windows Mobile ROMs).

I bought my Ativ about a month ago, and I really regret my call. See, you can tweak things up and get a firmware update, so can other users around the globe: you do have the CSC alternative to cover you. I don't, and I decided that flashing is not a good thing (totally personal opinion). I talked with my uncle and he's interested on the phone, specifically the Ativ, so he bought a Lumia 925 and we're gonna make a deal. If only Samsung did a good job in Brazil...I wouldn't need to do such things; I enjoy the Ativ S a lot, but how long would it take to receive the 8.1 when time comes? I made my uncle very aware about those things, but he didn't seem to care that much. Certainly he's not a tech freak like me, who hates to be outdated, right?

Again, my friend, you showed a lot of patience and effort here, and I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to find this thread! :) Thanks a lot!!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey, Boris, sorry if I took long to reply. How's things?

I wanna thank you for all your effort and attention, first of all.

So I took a look at your link and discovered that those stock ROMs didn't support the CSC ZTO at all. I did a little research and read about some Brazilians that flashed non-ZTO ROMs onto their Ativs; there were complaints about the general network performance and loss of APN settings. I thought carefully about flashing, and decided it was actually a risky step, just like you said. I'm very experienced with Android (I took my Nexus 4 for a lot of journeys, lol), but Android is another story...very very easy to work with flashing and full of capabilities to recover your OS + firmware. (Plus I'm very curious about your experience making Windows Mobile ROMs).

I bought my Ativ about a month ago, and I really regret my call. See, you can tweak things up and get a firmware update, so can other users around the globe: you do have the CSC alternative to cover you. I don't, and I decided that flashing is not a good thing (totally personal opinion). I talked with my uncle and he's interested on the phone, specifically the Ativ, so he bought a Lumia 925 and we're gonna make a deal. If only Samsung did a good job in Brazil...I wouldn't need to do such things; I enjoy the Ativ S a lot, but how long would it take to receive the 8.1 when time comes? I made my uncle very aware about those things, but he didn't seem to care that much. Certainly he's not a tech freak like me, who hates to be outdated, right?

Again, my friend, you showed a lot of patience and effort here, and I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to find this thread! :) Thanks a lot!!
Well, no problem my friend, but before you make the switch with your uncle i will suggest few things for you to consider:
  • Did you check your uncle's Lumia 925 if it has the needed CSC (i mention it about in the previous post)? Or the Lumia 925 is the same with only ZTO too? If not then you can make the switch and see what CSC will grab the GDR3.
  • But, before you make that switch, did you ask your mobile operator of when they or if they gonna release the GDR3? You can tell them that the WP8.1 is coming soon and without GDR3 you cannot upgrade (i doubt they know this things so u can go with that). and maybe they gonna release the generic version which is good too, cuz its 99% the same one from Samsungs GDR3.
  • I will suggest you after all to give your ATIV S a little bit more time, and wait for the official release of the WP8.1 from Samsung, cuz who knows, maybe you can upgrade from GDR2 directly to WP8.1 and you get the firmware of 8.1! Cuz what i told you about the firmware of GDR2 and WP8.1, it's my logical thinking I am not 100% sure that that will be the case and after all this is a DP version of 8.1 so in other words its a generic version (kinda).
  • WP is made to be as it is, i don't think it will gain that much tweaks as Android will cuz its almost a perfect, better and more stable OS even from the Android KitKat. And after all you are experienced and you know that flashing custom roms is fun but dangerous in the same time.
Don't rush, you waited that long wait for a bit more and see what happens. To be honest even if i had my ATIV S stucked with GDR2, i would never trade it for any Lumia 9xx series, (not even 930 or 1020, yes, i said 930 and 1020). :)
About making custom roms for Windows Mobile 6.5.3, oh boy, those were the good and fun times. Windows Mobile 6.5 is by far the most tweak-able and complite mobile OS of all times. I mean, ofcorse you can't compare him with todays andorid, iOS and WP's but you get my point. You could do EVERYTHING with WM6.5, tweaking, porting, customization, etc. I mean, the possibilities were endless. You might be surprised but I still have my Samsung Omnia i900 running as my secondary phone (second number), and yes it runs my own Ultra Light ROM WM6.5.3. I bought that phone in january 2009 and i was equally if not more happy than when i bought the ATIV S. That phone could do anything, from surfing, bluetooth tethering, GPS, navigation, MS Office 2010 mobile, and don't get me started on multitasking and battery life, it was tremendous, it's still great battery life, still can hold of 4 days of moderate usage. I will use that phone until it dies completely or start to fall apart. The camera was great too.
Ahhh, memories memories :)
Btw, i don't have the ROM kitchen on my computer to cook WM6 ROMs, but i have all the tools archived on a disk. Don't have time for that today, but just for your fun, check out my thread on MoDaCo about, best ROM's, Radios (Phone Parts) and working apps with their latest versions for WM6.5.x, here is the link:
Samsung Omnia i900 & WM6.x.x ROMs and Apps (re-uploaded, July 2012, Mostly WQVGA))

Oh and btw, for a proof here are my 2 Windows Samsung devices one next to other (Ofcorse, the start screen of my ATIV S is different now, but the Omnia's is as you see it) :wink:
Samsung-WM6-WP8_History-Present-1024.jpg

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi dudes, I think most of the ativ s users are still using gdr2 (maybe even gdr1). So, are you saying WP8.1 upgrade needs to have gdr3?
BTW, I only have a CSC : TGY. :unhappysweat:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi dudes, I think most of the ativ s users are still using gdr2 (maybe even gdr1). So, are you saying WP8.1 upgrade needs to have gdr3?
BTW, I only have a CSC : TGY. :unhappysweat:
Did you read previous posts?
And FYI, its not 100% sure if thats the truth, but it is around 95% sure, but for your convenience , write to Microsoft or go to this link: Microsoft Community and ask there, you might get more accurate answers, cuz the forum is pretty much alive and supportive from MS people.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When I updated my GDR2 Ativ S to WP8.1 (developer version) it installed three updates, when I did the same with my Lumia 1020 with GDR3, it only installed two updates. So I assume that it doesn't matter what GDR you are on, as the phone will download everything it needs before the actual 8.1 update.

I'm under the impression that it's not the software version that matters, WP8.1 would overwrite what's there anyway, but it's the firmware version that does matter. I say this because a lot of the problems that others have had on GDR2 firmware with WP8.1 I haven't had with WP8.1 and the GDR3 firmware.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm under the impression that it's not the software version that matters, WP8.1 would overwrite what's there anyway, but it's the firmware version that does matter. I say this because a lot of the problems that others have had on GDR2 firmware with WP8.1 I haven't had with WP8.1 and the GDR3 firmware.
Well that was actually my point, but i think that this DP version of WP8.1 is some kind of generic one, so OEMs are the ones who provide their firmware with the WP8.1 when the official version rolls out. So, people with WP8.1 DP are actually running the OS with latest firmware provided from their OEMs (that might be GDR2 or GDR1 firmware) but because the DP is generic version then it picks up the firmware installed on the phone and works with that. and some options in the WP8.1 are probably updated to work with the latest firmware that comes with GDR3, so thats why they have random conflicts and bugs with the WP8.1 DP. But this is all guessing and our logic tech thinking. Maybe once WP8.1 official rolls out with latest firmware that will work with WP8.1. Cuz we all know that every new firmware on any software is containing everything from the previous versions plus new things added in the latest firmware.
So, i guess we have to wait for the official version to roll out with the OEM's latest firmware and see what happens.
For people with GDR2 and GDR1: Don't lose faith, nothing is sure yet, there is hope, you just have to wait a bit :) Don't be like the Android people "Oh, my Galaxy S3 is not getting KitKat, i am selling the phone...", There are lots of people still buying and enjoying their Galaxy S3 even if doesn't have KitKat. And to quote the signature of my friend from above neo185: There is no "best smartphone", just the one that's best for you. That is so true :)

Stefan Ilchev

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hum i am from Bulgaria. So far as i know, its very easy to flash ativ s. I did it after every reset because, after reset i lose interop unlock and i must doungrade to gdr1 every time. The all work will cost you 10 min of flashing and 3 hours to upgrade all over again. I am with 8.1 DP and one issue is about the camera. Just the samsung drivers arent comatible with the DP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky