Problems updating an Ativ S GT-i8750 - OS 8.0.10211.204

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have an UNLOCKED and CARRIER FREE Ativ S GT-i8750, that I bought in an airport store a year or two ago...

I use it as on of my spare phones, (my others are windows phone too), and it gets switched between UK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and US carriers...

It works great (apart from shutting itself down every other night) which is a known bug and one I have come to live with (only a spare phone)

OS is 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number is 2620.13.01.2
Hardware revision number is 15.15.1.0

Now the phone still says it is up to date... and when connected to my computer, the PC tells me the phones software is the "latest and greatest"

I am not that tech savvy... just enough knowledge to screw it all up!

Can anyone assist me on how to update this phone... it has not had a single update from the day I bought it.

If I can get it to 8.0.10322.71 or newer, I think I can handle it from there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Problems updating an Ativ S GT-i750 - OS 8.0.10211.204

You don't connect your phone to your PC to get updates now, you need to check in phone update in settings. As for it telling you that you're up to date, have you checked it when it's set to the region you bought it in. Not sure if that would have any effect but it's worth a try.

I would ignore people who tell you to flash GDR3 manually unless you know exactly what you are doing.

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi... thanks for the reply...

yes... I was checking the phone update settings, but also had it connected to the PC, mainly for charging... so I thought I would just check that too...

I will try that region setting right now... did not occur to me to try it... Thanks... will let you know what the result it.

Cheers

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

Well I changed the region back to the country I bought it in...

Still the same results on update "your phone is up to date"... will leave it in this region for a day or two, just in case...

Thanks anyway.

markohr

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

Do you mean i8750 ? Try change csc, search forums for samsung ativ s i8750 csc change.

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Markohr, and thanks for the correction... Now edited.

I checked through the threads concerned, and decided to try to see what was available to me on my Ativ S.

Checked the csc and it only has one option, and that is the one that is original to it.

I guess that is because it was bought as an unbranded and carried free new unit.

See picture

image.jpg

myst02

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
My is german unbranded, originaly with DBT csc. I change it to csc ATO and instantly get GDR3.

You should check on this forum

GDR3/Update 3 (Official consumer release, not developer preview) - Windows Phone Central Forums

I think someone there mentioned to have only one CSC code, and something about flashing with another original firmware with choices to change CSC.

Try to flash GDR3 firmware with DBT CSC. Download ROM: anaheiim's Space - I8750XXCMK2_I8750XCMK2.rar - Tweaks Paradise

Guide for flashing ROM on the Ativ S: Samsung ATIV S I8750 Rom flashing! - xda-developers

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Markohr... Yes I recall seeing something like that too, but cannot find it again...

myst02....

Thanks... I do not have the DBT csc.

I have BRI csc... As per picture above, there is no option to change csc.

OS is 8.0.10211.204

Not overly keen on re flashing ROMs (whatever that means)... Sounds a bit technical... I also do not know what GDR3 is... Although I have seen it mentioned a lot.

Cheers.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Markohr... Yes I recall seeing something like that too, but cannot find it again...

myst02....

OS is 8.0.10211.204

Not overly keen on re flashing ROMs (whatever that means)... Sounds a bit technical... I also do not know what GDR3 is... Although I have seen it mentioned a lot.

Cheers.

GDR3 = General Distribution Release 3

It's an update for WP8 that adds features and fixes issues, bear in mind that even if you flashed GDR3 you would be using firmware that doesn't support that version which may cause more problems.

markohr

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
But if you flash your ROM with DBT one, than you can change csc to ATO and get both, new firmware compatibile with GDR3 and GDR3 update. With that you are up to date until 8.1 firmware from samsung and 8.1 update from MS are released over the air (OTA).

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

myst02....

OS is 8.0.10211.204

Cheers.
Windows Phone 8 had 3 major updates, GDR1 (which was the stock WP8), GDR2 and GDR3. All of them was supported with respected firmwares from any OEM manufacturing WP8 devices (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc.). The thing you didn't had the latest GDR3 is within your carrier (who ever that is). Here how that goes: Microsoft is releasing a generic version of WP8. It send that previously to OEM's, developers and enthusiasts as a DP (Developers Preview). So, OEM's based on that are getting reports from developers reporting bugs and are making their firmware based on that so thier devices can work best with the WP8.
Developers on the other hand, use that generic or developers preview version to adjust their apps and to report any bug to Microsoft so they can fix those bugs and came with most stable and most reliable OFFICIAL version of their OS ready to be pushed to wider public over OTA. Chances are big if you manage to install GDR3 without previous tweaking, that you gonna install the propriate firmware as well. neo 158 already explain you what GDR means, so you are clear with that, and here are all 3 of updates for WP8 and their OS version, so you see which one you had, but i think you are stuck with GDR1.:
GDR1 - OS Verison: 8.0.10211.204
GDR2 - OS Verison: 8.0.10327.77 or 8.0.10328.78***
GDR3 - OS Verison: 8.0.10501.127 or 8.0.10512.142**
Notice how i balded the numbers in the OS version? Those are numbers that shows you which GDR you have. 2xx is for GDR1, 3xx is for GDR2 and 5xx is for GDR3.
About flashing a new CSC, if you don't know how to do it or don't know what exactly is that, my advice is to NOT do it, cuz chances of you end up with a bricked phone are big. If you have a friends or local service who knows this things, take it there.

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Boris,

Thank you for taking the time to write this explanation and making this clear for me... Very kind...

Yes... Therefore I am stuck on GDR1... As you say, maybe better to find someone to do this for me, rather than trashing the phone... Especially as this is a generic phone used occasionally with six or more carriers, each in a different country, and I cannot get carrier support.

I am currently in South Florida for a few weeks... Anyone know a service here that can do it? Or is their a reliable service with references, in the US that can do it in a couple of weeks before I bug out of here... After this will be in UK for a bit, so there is an option too...

I live in Japan, and I know there is virtually zero chance of getting it done there.

Thanks again.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Boris,

Thank you for taking the time to write this explanation and making this clear for me... Very kind...

Yes... Therefore I am stuck on GDR1... As you say, maybe better to find someone to do this for me, rather than trashing the phone... Especially as this is a generic phone used occasionally with six or more carriers, each in a different country, and I cannot get carrier support.

I am currently in South Florida for a few weeks... Anyone know a service here that can do it? Or is their a reliable service with references, in the US that can do it in a couple of weeks before I bug out of here... After this will be in UK for a bit, so there is an option too...

I live in Japan, and I know there is virtually zero chance of getting it done there.

Thanks again.
Sorry bro, i can't help you there, I'm in South Europe, Republic of Macedonia.
But, hey, you have a WP8 device, use the power of Bing and Local Scout :) Search for local phone shops, services, etc. :)

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Update on my my phone situation:

Just arrive in UK and a quick websearch found a local service that could do this for me.

Located in Stratford-upon-Avon, SYS TEC COMPTERS reflashed/BIOS/ ROM (whatevered) my phone... They got it done in just a couple of hours.... And cost me only ?15 (UK pounds)

www.sys-tec-computers.co.uk

Very happy with their service and the phone is now GDR3 and working like a dream...

Cheers.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Update on my my phone situation:

Just arrive in UK and a quick websearch found a local service that could do this for me.

Located in Stratford-upon-Avon, SYS TEC COMPTERS reflashed/BIOS/ ROM (whatevered) my phone... They got it done in just a couple of hours.... And cost me only ?15 (UK pounds)

Sys-Tec Computers, Computer repair, PC repair in Stratford-upon-Avon

Very happy with their service and the phone is now GDR3 and working like a dream...

Cheers.
Well done bro, welcome to the GDR3, lol. You must admit that you like that multi-tasking window where you can close any running app, right? hehe
Now all we can do is to wait for the official WP 8.1 :)

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Boris,

Yes, actually I have already updated last night to the 8.1 developers preview OS, as my other two WP's are already on this and working well...

Loving it... These guys did a great job... Very happy!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Boris,

Yes, actually I have already updated last night to the 8.1 developers preview OS, as my other two WP's are already on this and working well...

Loving it... These guys did a great job... Very happy!
Good job :)
Anyway, wanted to ask you, did you notice on your Ativ S, random heating around the back camera and the top of the screen got pretty warm too? I mean it's usual when you play games or maybe when you do heavy browsing on internet for more than 20 min. But i got some random heat up on my phone when i receive and making calls, sometimes when i open a simple app like OneNote, or some converter, etc. The phone got pretty warm and it drains the battery fast, it can go up to 10-15% per hour. But this is not happening all the time, but once in a while. I don't think is some shortcut circuit malfunction or software related, cuz if thats the reason, the phone will heat up always when i do those things. Don't know what to do, maybe thats normal for the Ativ S, I don't know, i'm clueless what to do.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think that's normal for the Ativ S. Mine heats up in that area too when I play games. Mine is up to date but I have the Developer Preview Tool so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I bought it only 3 months ago so I don't really know much

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had a bit of heating, but yours sounds excessive... If I use it for a prolonged time, it does get pretty arm, but I expect that...

Have not had experience quite as you describe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss