Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
There are issues with 8.1 on the Ativ S and thus everyones clamouring for a firmware update in this thread. You are better off staying on 8.0 until Samsung officially supports 8.1 on the Ativ S.
Which hopefully will be soon. Not being able to downgrade back to 8 (without voiding warranty) and not being able to use my hands free car kit and bluetooth headset in the meantime sucks.
I really enjoy 8.1, but let's be honest here, one of the biggest features are features that should have been available for the OS for a while now. God knows the competition had it already. For ages. And yes, we make up all kind of excuses, Microsoft had to make another kernel for 8 and it's all technically very difficult and such, but that's really not of any real relevance to the end user is it?

Oh god, next year, if anything have changed, I'll move to nexus... I tried to support Wp 8.1 for a long time, but its very, very disappointing... I have been optimist for 2 years, its time to say the truth guys, we all know that windows phone will fail... WP 8.1 is there last chance.
Also, i think i know what Thomas Ozawa is referring to. The features in 8.1 were really needed and something the community was BEGGING for. (and still is, if u check the community suggestions website) Something that Microsoft actually DELIVERED after long times of begging from the users. However, in the 8.1 current state (call it beta/preview or whatever) for us Ativ users, it's YET another waiting game, this time for firmware by Samsung.. The "Just wait - it's going to get better soon"-game gets pretty old pretty fast.

anon(8208347)

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
With the new 8.1 Update 1 coming out in the next few weeks for the preview for developers, does this mean that if I get that then I won't get the official 8.1 with Samsung Firmware?

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm kinda starting to get pissed at Samsung. I really like my Ativ S, it's a great, slim and light device and wasn't too expensive either. But Samsung somehow tries everything in their power to make me regret not buying a Nokia. Or iPhone / random Android handset for that matter. My CSC is DBT (german) so I never even got the official GDR3 Update. And now with wp8.1.1 on the horizon, I'm basically rocking a GDR2 firmware. That makes me wonder, if there ever will be another firmware release that will fit my phone.

George Diaconescu

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

I have a dilemma here... I had this phone for almost 2 years now, and I have been with the preview for developers from GDR1. I remember I got the gdr3 update last year, and I know it should have come with the latest Samsung firmware, however my phone still states that is has firmware version 2424.13.5.1.

Up until today never knew how to access the diagnostic tool, or to change my CSC. But I did it today, and selected ATO instead of the DBT. Went ahead and reset the phone... and lost every single settings I had on the phone, and of course I couldn't back it up cause it said no backups available. To get to the point, tried checking for updates, but nothing is available.

Can some one send me any tips on how to upgrade the firmware to gdr3 at least ? Any help is appreciated.

BTW: I bought my phone in Romania. Prior to doing this I had those 3 bugs, camera bug - gets frozen if you switch between video/picture, ringtone lost on reboot, flash after taking a picture.

Thank you.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I e-mailed Samsung support asking if they know if or when there will be a Windows Phone 8.1 update for this device. They flat out said that they don't know, and didn't want to speculate. However - much like our friends in the ATIV S Neo forum - the support team seemed grossly misinformed as to how Windows Phone even works. The message said to check Zune software for updates, which would be valid if this were a WP7 device.

Now, to be clear, just because the support staff doesn't know about any upcoming updates doesn't mean that Samsung themselves aren't planning to release 8.1 with the appropriate firmware. I had asked support about updates in the past (GDR2 and 3) and in each case they didn't have an answer for me.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I've asked Samsung Mobile Croatia and they have never heard of Ativ S or Windows Phone 8.1.
They even asked me if I'm sure that I'm not running Android.
Great.

Thomas Ozawa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh how wrong you are, you have no idea. Recent numbers shows the WP8.x OS is gaining more and more attraction world wide, and his "progress line" is upward, not downward. Go ahead, use Google to google it. :) It's not the MS or OEM's to blame here, it's the carriers who needs to be blame for taking too long time to approve the updates and roll them out. Samsung stated that all his WP8 phones will be supported with the new firmware who is already in final stage. Phones mainly included here are ATIV S and ATIV S Neo and ATIV SE. :)
And i am little bit confused with some of your statements in your post. I don't know, maybe it's a simple typo error, for example"
"I tried to support WP8.1 for a long time..." - First of all WP8.1 is out for 3 months already and it's not official its Developer Preview, so basically means it's BETA or GENERIC if you prefer more. Ofcorse it will have bugs. But if you meant WP8, then thats another story, which brings other confusion... Why did you bought the WP8 device in a first place? I assume that you got sick of Android and wanted to try something new so you give it a try to WP8. Does your WP8 device suit you good so far? Did it provided the necessary things you do on your smartphone in a daily basics? If Yes, then what else do you need from your WP8 Device? Just don't tell me "The Apps" cuz that answer is long gone now since the WP Store grew a lot. More and more official apps are getting in the store every day. We got so many good 3rd party apps that provide even better user experience than the official one. So, "The Lack of Apps" is not the answer you need now. :)
First of all, thank you for taking my comment with soo much precision (sorry for my English I'm French) the thing that I don't like in WP, is not the apps numbers, its the app ITSELF, all the apps on the store have a very very bad integration, the notifications are slow, the design is bad, the app itself is slow, and after that, we all say " YHEA ! There is a new popular app on the store ! Yheaaay congratulation Microsoft ! You have updated your facebook app ! We can still only see page post but we don't care ! " I'm sick of that, I'm a smartphone fan and I know a lot of thing, and I know that its not the hardware of WP that turn the software slow, its the OS that is slow ! My Samsung ativ s is a very good phone for the price, but WP make no effort ! Samsung have forget about WP ! And how about HTC ? I know that WP is growing, but they have to make a lot of effort to make me dream again...

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Just did a quick chat with Samsung Canada support: they don't any ETA and they weren't even able to confirm if Samsung will release it or not. I really like my phone but if Samsung drops me, I will go the MS/Lumia way.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, nothing more to do than just sit tight and wait i guess.
I do not think Samsung is going to drop their current customers. Since they have been releasing newer phone models, it shows they are not going to ignore the OS completely. They probably do see a trend that WP is becoming more and more popular, and i'm guessing they will put in some effort because they don not want to miss the boat when it does take off so to speak. We just have to hope that they won't put their eforts in making some new useless apps but into writing some drivers that fix some of the porblems we are having with the DP of WP8.1 Heck, they might even ask Microsoft to include em in the newest GDR OS update (Not very likely tho, but one dares to hope..)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that Samsung released the ATIV Camera a month ago - an app specifically for 8.1 (though this could be mostly for the ATIV SE which should receive an 8.1 update). In the very least, we know they're testing new firmware. Whether or not they actually decide to release an update is still to be seen, but I don't think we've been forgotten.

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, nothing more to do than just sit tight and wait i guess.
I do not think Samsung is going to drop their current customers. Since they have been releasing newer phone models, it shows they are not going to ignore the OS completely. They probably do see a trend that WP is becoming more and more popular, and i'm guessing they will put in some effort because they don not want to miss the boat when it does take off so to speak. We just have to hope that they won't put their eforts in making some new useless apps but into writing some drivers that fix some of the porblems we are having with the DP of WP8.1 Heck, they might even ask Microsoft to include em in the newest GDR OS update (Not very likely tho, but one dares to hope..)

sadly us users in Canada haven't seen a new Samsung wp since launch & I could imagine other countries aswell haven't seen a refresh.
Im close to just paying the remaining subsidy & cancelling my phone extended warranty(from service provider) then leave Rogers when fido's holiday pricing starts cause I dont find 1st rewards is worth the bs ive gotten from them & since they dropped the free rogers hp to rogers wireless calling its not a deciding factor anymore

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
First of all, thank you for taking my comment with soo much precision (sorry for my English I'm French) the thing that I don't like in WP, is not the apps numbers, its the app ITSELF, all the apps on the store have a very very bad integration, the notifications are slow, the design is bad, the app itself is slow, and after that, we all say " YHEA ! There is a new popular app on the store ! Yheaaay congratulation Microsoft ! You have updated your facebook app ! We can still only see page post but we don't care ! " I'm sick of that, I'm a smartphone fan and I know a lot of thing, and I know that its not the hardware of WP that turn the software slow, its the OS that is slow ! My Samsung ativ s is a very good phone for the price, but WP make no effort ! Samsung have forget about WP ! And how about HTC ? I know that WP is growing, but they have to make a lot of effort to make me dream again...
First of all, I apologize if i offend you with any of what i said in my post. I am not an english too, I am from Macedonia, so my english is not perfect too. And i understand your frustration. You have to understand that this is a NEW OS and it's catching up the race now. It was a long time considered an underdog OS, but today, thats not that case, now it is equal to the Big 2 (iOS and Android).
I do have an ATIV S too and my phone works super fast, every official and 3rd party app is working flawlessly and fast. Don't see any lag, don't occurs any latency in the OS. So, something must be wrong with your phone (assuming you have the same one, the ATIV S)
Most of the apps on the Store got recent updates in the last month and they are working much much better now, with better integration with the OS. the reason why some of them had bad OS integration is MS's fault, cuz they haven't release enough API's for the developers to make a great app with great OS integration. But MS a month ago did release lots of API's for the developers so they can make batter apps or to make the existing ones way better. I was a Windows Mobile App Developer, and I know how tough is to write a code for a great app and how much time you need for that (if app developing is not your primary money earner). WP8 is slightly easier to make a good app, but the time needed for app developing here is the same. Be patience, give time to developers to take advantage of the new API's that MS has released a month ago and to make their apps with better OS integration.
I was a huge Windows Mobile fan and enthusiast, but when WM died, many of us roll over to the other side, the Android side, since was the only "close enough" side to Windows Mobile (yes, the tweaking and customizing capabilities), but then WP came along, and I did switch back even tho i knew how high Android reach by that time. I love this platform and I will stick to it and support it just as i did with Windows Mobile 6 till the last day, cuz i believe in WP.
NO, I am not a ******, I am too old to be one (LOL). I just believe in this platform and i will supported until it dies one day (hardly doubt that will ever happen), but everything is possible.
I am not trying to convince you to stay with this platform (cuz i know you will stay), but I am just telling you my point of view about WP. :)
Cheers bro! :)

Thomas Ozawa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
First of all, I apologize if i offend you with any of what i said in my post. I am not an english too, I am from Macedonia, so my english is not perfect too. And i understand your frustration. You have to understand that this is a NEW OS and it's catching up the race now. It was a long time considered an underdog OS, but today, thats not that case, now it is equal to the Big 2 (iOS and Android).
I do have an ATIV S too and my phone works super fast, every official and 3rd party app is working flawlessly and fast. Don't see any lag, don't occurs any latency in the OS. So, something must be wrong with your phone (assuming you have the same one, the ATIV S)
Most of the apps on the Store got recent updates in the last month and they are working much much better now, with better integration with the OS. the reason why some of them had bad OS integration is MS's fault, cuz they haven't release enough API's for the developers to make a great app with great OS integration. But MS a month ago did release lots of API's for the developers so they can make batter apps or to make the existing ones way better. I was a Windows Mobile App Developer, and I know how tough is to write a code for a great app and how much time you need for that (if app developing is not your primary money earner). WP8 is slightly easier to make a good app, but the time needed for app developing here is the same. Be patience, give time to developers to take advantage of the new API's that MS has released a month ago and to make their apps with better OS integration.
I was a huge Windows Mobile fan and enthusiast, but when WM died, many of us roll over to the other side, the Android side, since was the only "close enough" side to Windows Mobile (yes, the tweaking and customizing capabilities), but then WP came along, and I did switch back even tho i knew how high Android reach by that time. I love this platform and I will stick to it and support it just as i did with Windows Mobile 6 till the last day, cuz i believe in WP.
NO, I am not a ******, I am too old to be one (LOL). I just believe in this platform and i will supported until it dies one day (hardly doubt that will ever happen), but everything is possible.
I am not trying to convince you to stay with this platform (cuz i know you will stay), but I am just telling you my point of view about WP. :)
Cheers bro! :)

You just told me some things that I actually didn't knew before ! But if Samsung don't update our phone, I will be very angry, thank you for this long text, I'm gonna keep this phone 1 year more, and then I will think again :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
You just told me some things that I actually didn't knew before ! But if Samsung don't update our phone, I will be very angry, thank you for this long text, I'm gonna keep this phone 1 year more, and then I will think again :)
Glad i helped you with learning new things :) If you have any other question, feel free to ask. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb