Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, not every ATIV S user can receive GDR3 as fast as you did, at least not in my region, I'll be lucky to receive GDR2, since some other users in my region still couldn't receive GDR2.
You do know the trick with the CSC changing and get the GDR3, right? If so, do you have the necessary CSC's? In matter of fact, how many CSC's you have on your ATIV S?

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, not every ATIV S user can receive GDR3 as fast as you did, at least not in my region, I'll be lucky to receive GDR2, since some other users in my region still couldn't receive GDR2.

You need to change your CSC in that case. Its a region code thing. Quite unfair why some regions never saw gdr 2 or 3.

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Not unfair. The release was stopped due to bugs. And since Samsung couldn't be arsed to fix their firmware, they simply stopped the rollout in some regions.

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Why would MS be qaiting to give a "go" on independant OEM firmware? Did they do so in the past..?

I do think MS is dropping the ball on several other things (like the 8.1 GDR update which al LOT of people can't apply - including me b/c of the notorious xx308 partitioning error) Nice testing again on your end, Microsoft. :(

It is mere speculation on my part, but the firmware might already be done and microsoft will roll it out bundled with 8.1 after they are done with nokia and gdr 1 , or perhaps microsoft - in some deal with samsung- actually engineers the firmware itself and gets Samsung's approval after testing to roll it out under the samsung brand...just speculating.

I cannot whether they have done this before. Too bad most support services don't know about Samsung Windows phones.

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey fl,

I wasnt aware of that, but now that you mentioned it i have been getting random reboots ever since updating to gdr 3. Happens every 1-3 days.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey fl,

I wasnt aware of that, but now that you mentioned it i have been getting random reboots ever since updating to gdr 3. Happens every 1-3 days.
That's strange, hmmm, when i got the GDR3 (using the CSC changing method), my ATIV S become much more stable, battery friendly, no random warm ups (it happens some times but due to a heavy using at that moment), I never had any random restarts, nor my ATIV S have ever blocked or freezes. Overall, with getting the GDR3, my ATIV S became way way much better phone. I got the GDR3 when switched to NEE CSC.

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
That's strange, hmmm, when i got the GDR3 (using the CSC changing method), my ATIV S become much more stable, battery friendly, no random warm ups (it happens some times but due to a heavy using at that moment), I never had any random restarts, nor my ATIV S have ever blocked or freezes. Overall, with getting the GDR3, my ATIV S became way way much better phone. I got the GDR3 when switched to NEE CSC.

Yea it is strange, thats why i am hoping the wp 8.1 update will fix it. Planning on a hard reset after 8.1 to have everything fresh and clean. I did hear though many users got the same reboot issues after a gdr 2 or 3 install.

Another culprit to me seemed to be the facebook app, but i have long uninstalled it and the problem still persists.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yea it is strange, thats why i am hoping the wp 8.1 update will fix it. Planning on a hard reset after 8.1 to have everything fresh and clean. I did hear though many users got the same reboot issues after a gdr 2 or 3 install.

Another culprit to me seemed to be the facebook app, but i have long uninstalled it and the problem still persists.
Yes it's a known fact about those bugs, but lots of people solve that by hard reseting their devides after the update to GDR2 and GDR3. Many people do the same mistake. After update to GDR2 & 3 the device hard reset itself and they think thats enough, but it is not. After that hard reset, the device will turn on, you will do the initial settings and wait for about 5 minutes, so to be sure every process is up. Then, do the hard reset again. Settings>About>Reset Phone. I hade few friends with ATIV S's had the same problem as you and when i told them what to do they said "But the device hard reset itself after update!", then i hard reset their devices again after that and all known bugs were gone. Anyway, if i get it correctly, you are stuck on GDR2? What CSC's you had on your phone? Do you have ATO or NEE? You know how to see that, right?

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's a known fact about those bugs, but lots of people solve that by hard reseting their devides after the update to GDR2 and GDR3. Many people do the same mistake. After update to GDR2 & 3 the device hard reset itself and they think thats enough, but it is not. After that hard reset, the device will turn on, you will do the initial settings and wait for about 5 minutes, so to be sure every process is up. Then, do the hard reset again. Settings>About>Reset Phone. I hade few friends with ATIV S's had the same problem as you and when i told them what to do they said "But the device hard reset itself after update!", then i hard reset their devices again after that and all known bugs were gone. Anyway, if i get it correctly, you are stuck on GDR2? What CSC's you had on your phone? Do you have ATO or NEE? You know how to see that, right?

Hey Boris, I am not stuck on GDR2, I am on GDR3 actually and my CSC is set to ATO, or actually I set it to ATO long ago simply because i heard that region gets updates pretty early and that's how I got GDR3! I only have about 4 CSC options and NEE isn't one of them. I doubt I would do a hard reset before the 8.1 and firmware release simply cause re-installing apps is not worth the hassle if I am going to be doing the same thing again soon.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey Boris, I am not stuck on GDR2, I am on GDR3 actually and my CSC is set to ATO, or actually I set it to ATO long ago simply because i heard that region gets updates pretty early and that's how I got GDR3! I only have about 4 CSC options and NEE isn't one of them. I doubt I would do a hard reset before the 8.1 and firmware release simply cause re-installing apps is not worth the hassle if I am going to be doing the same thing again soon.
Well, if those bugs doesn't annoy you that much then, yeah, you could wait for the 8.1 firmware. It's good that you used the CSC changing method to get the GDR3. I read in most forums that people with ATIV S saying they have 1 or 3 or 4,5 CSC's on their phones. I have the i8750 ATIV S and i have 40 different CSC's. ATO and NEE are one of them, and i also did a check that NEE is getting updates before ATO so i leave my phone to NEE (the good thing about choices, lol).
Well, let's hope the newest firmware will hit us very soon, I think it will start to roll out after IFA in Berlin now in September.

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, if those bugs doesn't annoy you that much then, yeah, you could wait for the 8.1 firmware. It's good that you used the CSC changing method to get the GDR3. I read in most forums that people with ATIV S saying they have 1 or 3 or 4,5 CSC's on their phones. I have the i8750 ATIV S and i have 40 different CSC's. ATO and NEE are one of them, and i also did a check that NEE is getting updates before ATO so i leave my phone to NEE (the good thing about choices, lol).
Well, let's hope the newest firmware will hit us very soon, I think it will start to roll out after IFA in Berlin now in September.

I guess the random restarts aren't much of a big deal for me, since they happen only sometimes. How is it that you have 40 different CSCs?! Perhaps a model version difference? I think I have only 4 or 5 CSCs on my GT-I8750 ATIV S.

I hope the new OS update brings the battery improvements claimed, I have been reading in the forums that some people ( on Wp 8.0 mind you) manage to get battery life of almost 2 days with regular use (3g+wifi+nfc) and I never have been able to get past a day with moderate use unless I have celluar data off, I guess they might be exaggerating a little bit! Also my phone shuts down at 4% battery, I thought this was an OS controlled thing, do you have the same?

If it is September that we are looking at for the firmware I guess its not too far away.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is for a large part dictated by quality of drivers. Nokia users mention that they see a huge improvement in battery life with Cyan. If and when we get the update for 8.1, we will probably see the same, if Samsung didn't do an half assed job of writing the drivers that is. Esp. things that are on most of the time like Wifi or cellular drivers would probably be more energy efficient.

There is also Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) support in 8.1. I don't know if we would need specific hardware for that, or that it's just a revision on the currently used bluetooth standard, but the "Low Energy" part kind of gives away that it probably going to use less energy whilst using bluetooth. :)

Regarding the reboots, i'm on 8.1 DP and get them too sometimes. It's a hardware related "feature". If you have low cell phone coverage, the reboots prevents the radio component in the phone to overheat. This was a known "feature" on the Samsung Galxy S3 aswell from what i've read, and since we use almost the same hardware with our Ativ, it is probably the exact same case. I can reproduce it too. There is a DIY hardware store nearby. When i go the the back of the store, cell reception drops to no reception. Give it some seconds, try to use the phone and.. Instant reboot. Every single time.

awandres

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft just release one update. And my Ativ S still with error code 801881e1 for checking updates. Any fix for this, guys? Or this is the end until OEM firmware (IF it comes)
Sent from my Ativ S using Tapatalk

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft just release one update. And my Ativ S still with error code 801881e1 for checking updates. Any fix for this, guys? Or this is the end until OEM firmware (IF it comes)
Sent from my Ativ S using Tapatalk

I never had those errors on my ativ S so I downloaded it just fine, but I think Microsoft said that this update wasn't a fix to any errors. So probably just performace and some minor bug fixes

Dario Sacchi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys
just installed new update, now so is 8.10.14157.200 firmware is the same 2424.13.11.2, no update errors.
At the moment I don't see any differences with the previous, same camera bugs.
Hope for a fix....

Geo L

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did install myself too, but beside the 8.10.14157.200, the firmware in 2424.13.10.1 not 2424.13.11.2.
The update done without any errors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa