Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This may be kinda offtopic, but could pro shot work better on our devices with new firmware update or is it hardware related?
It could as the problems are related to firmware, it's all down to Samsung to fix the issues that prevent ProShot from working correctly.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep, 2 accounts.. My Live account, and also an exchange account. Live account set to daily, and the exchange account to manually. But maybe my post is somewhat offtopic in this topic. Although it could be related, i don't know. I think the bad reception could be the cause, combined with older drivers not properly working under 8.1 for example.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep, 2 accounts.. My Live account, and also an exchange account. Live account set to daily, and the exchange account to manually. But maybe my post is somewhat offtopic in this topic. Although it could be related, i don't know. I think the bad reception could be the cause, combined with older drivers not properly working under 8.1 for example.
Having mobile data and wi-fi finder (scanner) always ON, there is your problem. Those 2 things are among Top 5 most battery drainers, not just here on WP, but on Android and iOS too. Bad reception is another battery drainer, since your phone is trying harder at that time to connect to a cell tower. The harder it tries, the more battery will drain.
Let's make a test. In the next week or let's say 10 days, try to keep mobile data and wi-fi scanner turned OFF. Only use them (turn them ON) when you need them, even if that happens 3-5 times per hour. When you need internet and you don't have a wi-fi spot to connect, turn the mobile data ON, finish what you have to finish online and then turn it OFF. Same goes for the wi-fi too. When you find a wi-fi spot, keep mobile data OFF and just use the wi-fi spot. When you finish, turn it OFF. Everything else you have just leave it as it is now (bg tasks, email settings etc.). Monitor closely your battery life in the next week or 10 days and see what results you will get.
And by the way, your post is kinda OFF topic, but it's ON topic too, cuz you are expecting new firmware from Samsung, so, your post is ON topic :)

P.S. Turning your mobile data (internet) off, will NOT turn your phone reception off (the radio part).

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
3. Northen EU Countries? I think you refer to NEE, which is Scandinavian CSC, and to be more precise, it's Swedish CSC. The trick with changing your CSC with ATO or NEE is about you to be able to download latest WP8 Update 3 (publicly known as GDR3).

Thanks, I know what a CSC is and even saw (not clicked) the Diagnosis screen where they are, once (being the cell of my wife I could do that juse once).
I am sure that the mobile had ATO. Not quite sure of NEE. From what you all are saying, the latest firmware (despite a minor release) is downloadable once set CSC NEE (and hard reset), while ATO would get the 2nd place.
I wonder if I may risk resetting and go the ATO route (while the cell is unused for 1 week) or better wait the official release (if ever!) of the 8.1+fw schedule, and discover if ATO would have been a better bet.
In the meantime my fw is very ancient, as the CSC DBT didn't even got GDR3... Wonder if just that would solve some minor Bluetooth problems my wife encountered daily..

lzeta

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I have installed the DP and my OS version is 8.10.14157.200, the firmware 2424.13.10.1
i only have six CSC (ATO, BTU DBT, ITV XEF, XEO) no NEE
the last time I updated the firmware I switch to ATO CSC than tu ITV, because I'm in Italy
I think that switching again to ATO CSC would be useless because the firmware would be the same
Are you agree with me or I'll try to do it?

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have installed the DP and my OS version is 8.10.14157.200, the firmware 2424.13.10.1
i only have six CSC (ATO, BTU DBT, ITV XEF, XEO) no NEE
the last time I updated the firmware I switch to ATO CSC than tu ITV, because I'm in Italy
I think that switching again to ATO CSC would be useless because the firmware would be the same
Are you agree with me or I'll try to do it?
I agree, let's monitor in this forum the CSC that gets 8.1 firmware first, we can always switch to that CSC then. I also only have ATO, BTU, DBT, ITV, XEF, XEO, and I'm on ATO now.

Last edited:

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, this is something I found on some forum with guys like us waiting for the firmware release. The guy asked a local network carrier about gdr3 and 8.1 and says he's been told the release will be at end of August (in New Zealand), but its not clear whether its 8.1 or the gdr3 he was asking about. Don't take it as something definite, i just shared it for your entertainment.

dave1234

Reply # 1111097 19-Aug-2014 09:58

I also emailed Telecom back in June and received this:
----------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that you would like to know to when the new firmware will be released for your Samsung Ativ S. At this time we do not have a confirmed time frame to release the update you mentioned although we are looking at end of August but cannot promise the actual time and day. Our product teams do evaluate software updates for mobiles on a continuous basis and we aim to make important updates available as soon as possible. There is a lot of work involved in development and testing to ensure the software works optimally for Telecom users. For this reason critical updates are prioritised over non-critical updates and in some cases non-critical updates may not be released.
----------------------------------------------------------------

In my email I had asked both about GDR3 and 8.1 so I don't know which they are referring to (I would have thought both were software releases rather than firmware, but maybe the Ativ needs a firmware update too), but I'm assuming at this point that they will be skipping GDR3 and going straight to 8.1. I don't have a lot of faith in the timeline they gave me, but I thought I would share the info I have since others are also waiting patiently...

Here is the link to the forum page:

When is release for Windows Phone 8.1 for Samsung Ativ S 8750 in NZ

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Having mobile data and wi-fi finder (scanner) always ON, there is your problem. Those 2 things are among Top 5 most battery drainers, not just here on WP, but on Android and iOS too. Bad reception is another battery drainer, since your phone is trying harder at that time to connect to a cell tower. The harder it tries, the more battery will drain.
Let's make a test. In the next week or let's say 10 days, try to keep mobile data and wi-fi scanner turned OFF. Only use them (turn them ON) when you need them, even if that happens 3-5 times per hour. When you need internet and you don't have a wi-fi spot to connect, turn the mobile data ON, finish what you have to finish online and then turn it OFF. Same goes for the wi-fi too. When you find a wi-fi spot, keep mobile data OFF and just use the wi-fi spot. When you finish, turn it OFF. Everything else you have just leave it as it is now (bg tasks, email settings etc.). Monitor closely your battery life in the next week or 10 days and see what results you will get.
And by the way, your post is kinda OFF topic, but it's ON topic too, cuz you are expecting new firmware from Samsung, so, your post is ON topic :)

P.S. Turning your mobile data (internet) off, will NOT turn your phone reception off (the radio part).
I know that last part. I also think we had some miscommunications. :p
Wifi sense is off. Wifi is on, but the "Keep wifi on when the screen times out" option is off. The screen time-out setting is set to 3 minutes. Cell data is on, but I think this is turned off when wifi is on? Anyways, i went through all kinds of guides online to help me conserve battery life already. THe only thing i refuse to to is turn wifi off manually every time. I mean, this feature is built in the OS, and I don't see how turning it off manually would work any better than having the OS do it when the phone is not in use.

For example, the "send information about wi-fi connections to help discover nearby wifi" and "automatically connect to wi-fi hotspots" options are also both off.

I haven't had such drains anymore, so i blame the bad reception the other day. Also, i disabled the "automatically adjust screen brightness", another thing i found online.. And just set the brightness to low. Even though i already have a dark background set. It probably all helps somewhat. The weird thing is that Battery Sense doesn't show any programs consuming a lot of battery in the background, so it must be something "under the hood"/in the OS itself.

In my specific case, i've noticed battery life has taken a dive since the 8.1 update. But since we are all running older/not optimised drivers on a newer version of the OS with a lot of new features under the hood perhaps, i think we should all have noticed some decrease in battery life? I usually take post from people telling that they run their Ativ for 3 days on a single charge with a grain of salt nowadays. If you have some programs running in the background and use email sync and mobile data or wifi (in my opinion: "normal/light" smartphone use), i think most people would struggle to have the battery last 2 whole days. 3 days would only be possible with little to no usage, no connectivity what so ever and no programs running in the background probably, lol. If u use it in that way, might as well get a dumb phone, lol. :)

/me is still having high hopes for updated drivers..

Alex Boom

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I guess they meant 8.1 release...GDR3 is too old to be expected at the same time the 8.1 will be released....but u never know..:)
talking about the FW now, when i had the GDR2 i had different FW, that changed after i got the GDR3...it's possible that some devices can get the GDR3 without changing FW, possibly due to the devices/countries, shipped roms. Good news anyway...can't wait for the final 8.1...

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's still all unofficial.. Unfortunately. I guess the first 'official' news we will notice is that an update is actually available on the phone itself, lol.

Last edited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's still all unofficial.. Unfortunately. I guess the first 'official' news we will notice is that an update is actually available on the phone itself, lol.
Most probably, hehe.
And to not reply to you on 2 different posts, I will say it here, about the battery life.
I told you what i do to get the 50-60 hours of battery life. And about the wi-fi finder being ON all the time, that is true, doesn't matter if its builded in the OS or not. All of them are build it in all OS's. Having that ON all the time is like leaving your car working while you are staying in one place. Does the car spend gas that moment? Yes it does, it's the same with leaving wi-fi finder turned on all the time.
Various things can cause battery drains, heck, maybe the battery itself is not in a good condition. The advices regarding saving your battery life longer are just that, advices, to try it and see if they work for you. Some tricks help one group of people, and some other trick helps other group of people.
I think if you manage to get around 45 hours of moderate usage from your phone, thant there is nothing wrong with your phone, battery or anything else. 45 hours of battery life (counting from 100% down to 20-25%) is a very good battery life. :)

Alex Boom

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
i wish it was like that, but to be clear, to get the GDR3 i had to change the apn settings to manual and the CSC code to something else...so an update could be available and we would not even know ;)
now my FW is the 2424.13.10.1...with the 8.0.10517.150 OS

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
i wish it was like that, but to be clear, to get the GDR3 i had to change the apn settings to manual and the CSC code to something else...so an update could be available and we would not even know ;)
now my FW is the 2424.13.10.1...with the 8.0.10517.150 OS

If an update from Samsung is rolled out, WP Central will be all over it in the headlines, also PocketNow, WMPowerUser and the rest tech sites. We would know right on time, don't worry :)
I don't know why you needed to change your APN settings to get the GDR3, I just changed my default MBM csc (T-Mobile Macedonia) to NEE, and whoa-la, I got the GDR3 right away :), no APN settings changed :)

WP Gan

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I am from Asia, still havent got the update, current OS is 8.0.10328.78.

Anyone from Asia can get new updates? Tried the CSC method but NEE and ATO not avail on my phone.....

Current CSC is XME, I have many CSC as following: GLB, SMA, THL, XSE, XSP, XTC, XTC, XTE......

Can get any advise from bro and sis here?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Anyone from Asia can get new updates? Tried the CSC method but NEE and ATO not avail on my phone.....

Current CSC is XME, I have many CSC as following: GLB, SMA, THL, XSE, XSP, XTC, XTC, XTE......

Well, too bad, but have you try all of them to see if any of them catches the GDR3? Cuz as i can see you are on GDR2.
Try them all, maybe one will get the GDR3 for you. :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You could try an open market CSC which starts with O and has a two letter code relating to the country/region you are in, that might allow you to get GDR3.

Samsung CSC code reference - ykkfive

Here are the CSC for my country and the related Mobile Networks:

BTC - BT Cellnet ?
BTU - BT ?
CPW - ?
H3G - Hutchinson 3G (Three)
O2I - O2 Ireland
O2U - O2 UK
ORA - Orange
OXA* - MultiCSC (SIM Free/EU Open Market)
TMU - T-Mobile
TSC - Tesco Mobile
VIR - Virgin Mobile
VOD - Vodafone
XEU - ?

Last edited:

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Mine is still on GDR2 firmware (CSC: XSE), but have opted for DP. It seems there will be no more update for Asia's Ativ S based on the forum posts.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
You could try an open market CSC which starts with O and has a two letter code relating to the country/region you are in, that might allow you to get GDR3.

Samsung CSC code reference - ykkfive

Here are the CSC for my country and the related Mobile Networks:

BTC - BT Cellnet ?
BTU - BT ?
CPW - ?
H3G - Hutchinson 3G (Three)
O2I - O2 Ireland
O2U - O2 UK
ORA - Orange
OXA - MultiCSC (SIM Free/EU Open Market)
TMU - T-Mobile
TSC - Tesco Mobile
VIR - Virgin Mobile
VOD - Vodafone
XEU - ?

I think ORA or OXA will do the trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster