Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't need to do this as I had GDR3 prior to the WP8.1 DP, the UK ORA CSC is specific to the Orange network and my phone uses the OXA CSC on O2-UK anyway.
I replied to you not because you need that, but cuz it is more convenient for the guys who search and read to not get lost in the sea of posts here :)
Anyway, how you been? Everything ok? :) :

SatanWantYou

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
No im full of it....im upset mad angry and tired of this...why in the name of God samdung dont give a *** for his customers......i need to stay with buggy and laggy 8.1 because 8 its so outdated in comparison with android and ios...why its so hard to make that firmware and windows official...a great company like samsung its on last place for me...yes you made a lot of phones...and updates?no one cares....im waiting excited in april for 8.1 i was very happy to have it but in time more update from beta come and more bugs...im thinkin that im not the only angry one because samsung dont care about windows phone...i better buyed a lumia...

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
No im full of it....im upset mad angry and tired of this...why in the name of God samdung dont give a *** for his customers......i need to stay with buggy and laggy 8.1 because 8 its so outdated in comparison with android and ios...why its so hard to make that firmware and windows official...a great company like samsung its on last place for me...yes you made a lot of phones...and updates?no one cares....im waiting excited in april for 8.1 i was very happy to have it but in time more update from beta come and more bugs...im thinkin that im not the only angry one because samsung dont care about windows phone...i better buyed a lumia...

I hear you bro, but it is what it is.... patience is a virtue (but sometimes a frustration too) :)

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

WHY are you so angry? :)
If you dont like this situation just switch to a Lumia and enjoy WP8.1.
Samsung never said anything about WP8.1 for Ativ S maybe they wont update it... and what? Who cares? You can get Ativ S for a very low price its still a good phone. If you dont like it, sell it.

BTW: What kind of bugs? Lot of us have only 2 bugs:
1. ringtone
2. camera (Flash)

Everything else is working. Maybe try hard reset or revert back to GDR3.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Maybe this is part of MS strategy. You like your HTC/Samsung/..... WP device, but it doesn't get updated, so next time you will buy what?

PaulMilbank

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Used the email the CEO button on the support page, just had a phone call on Thursday from someone In the support team saying the update should be coming in the next month. Its not much and we still need to wait, but hopefully it is still coming.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe this is part of MS strategy. You like your HTC/Samsung/..... WP device, but it doesn't get updated, so next time you will buy what?

I don't know, but i am more and more sure that Samsung WP Devices (Ativ S i8750, Ativ S t899, Ativ S Neo, Ativ Odyssey and Ativ SE, did i forgot someone?), will get updates after IFA Berlin 2014, maybe not right away but in the next weeks after.
We got what we got, so deal with that. I personally am happy with my GDR3 update. I don't go for "beta" anything until it's official, and if it doesn't go official, so be it. My ATIV S i8750 is working perfectly fine for my needs and get job done with 100% accuracy the way I want it (and trust me, i want a lot, lol). Having latest doesn't necessarily means you'll getting the best. :)

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Can someone try to replicate problem i have so i am sure it is not only me? Try changing phone language to serbian and try to start camera app. On my phone it plays tile pressed animation and then plays back-to-start-screen animation and nothing happens. It works in english thogugh.

PS. I did hard reset twice.

Dario Sacchi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
When I cause camera bug in my ativ s with italian language sometimes happens what you are describing, camera tile animation and back to start screen. Most of times after causing the bug camera 📷 app open but remains black.
I've the impression with update 1 that camera bug sometimes doesn't happen also switching to video, so with a normal use developer preview is not so bad......
I've tried before summer to change language but same issue

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Used the email the CEO button on the support page, just had a phone call on Thursday from someone In the support team saying the update should be coming in the next month. Its not much and we still need to wait, but hopefully it is still coming.

I would imagine that Samsung is skipping WP8.1 and going straight for GDR 1 instead, that's what is taking so long.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but i am more and more sure that Samsung WP Devices (Ativ S i8750, Ativ S t899, Ativ S Neo, Ativ Odyssey and Ativ SE, did i forgot someone?), will get updates after IFA Berlin 2014, maybe not right away but in the next weeks after.
We got what we got, so deal with that. I personally am happy with my GDR3 update. I don't go for "beta" anything until it's official, and if it doesn't go official, so be it. My ATIV S i8750 is working perfectly fine for my needs and get job done with 100% accuracy the way I want it (and trust me, i want a lot, lol). Having latest doesn't necessarily means you'll getting the best. :)
The problem with a lot of mobile OS'ses is that when another beta release is out, they don't offer any new functionality. With WIndows Phone however, MS does offer a lot of new functionality the community has been waiting for, like the custom backgrounds with 8.1. Granted, with 8.1 GDR1 the new functionality is way less, but 8.1 in my opinion is another giant leap for the OS. I get why people don't want to wait. Lots of other mobile OS'ses don't have such major changes in updates. Only mobile OS i can think of is IOS 7 compared to IOS 6 to be honest.

Edit: Regarding our update; it just occured to me. A lot of people with Ativ S'es have mentioned they are unable to update to 8.1 update/GDR 1. This seems to be due to a partitioning issue that was introduced on the ATiv with GDR3.

Just a brainfart from my side: Maybe, just maybe, Samsung is going to release a flash tool which is a workaround for this problem all together. They might release an updated driver package/firmware plus a seperate flash tool to flash GDR3 back easily (without possibly voiding warranty) and providing a proper upgrade path to 8.1 GDR 1? That being said, i'm still not expecting anything from Samsung, even with the news regarding the CEO in this topic. Still just speculating here, but a seperate tool would be awesome for customers.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The problem with a lot of mobile OS'ses is that when another beta release is out, they don't offer any new functionality. With WIndows Phone however, MS does offer a lot of new functionality the community has been waiting for, like the custom backgrounds with 8.1. Granted, with 8.1 GDR1 the new functionality is way less, but 8.1 in my opinion is another giant leap for the OS. I get why people don't want to wait. Lots of other mobile OS'ses don't have such major changes in updates. Only mobile OS i can think of is IOS 7 compared to IOS 6 to be honest.

Edit: Regarding our update; it just occured to me. A lot of people with Ativ S'es have mentioned they are unable to update to 8.1 update/GDR 1. This seems to be due to a partitioning issue that was introduced on the ATiv with GDR3.

Just a brainfart from my side: Maybe, just maybe, Samsung is going to release a flash tool which is a workaround for this problem all together. They might release an updated driver package/firmware plus a seperate flash tool to flash GDR3 back easily (without possibly voiding warranty) and providing a proper upgrade path to 8.1 GDR 1? That being said, i'm still not expecting anything from Samsung, even with the news regarding the CEO in this topic. Still just speculating here, but a seperate tool would be awesome for customers.
Whatever they think of, we won't mind as long as it gets the job done and we get the latest firmware. Yes, for us techy/geeky people it will be easy cuz we (most of us) knows what we are doing. But i won't even mind spending a month here in the forums, helping the less techy/geeky people to get things done on their phones and I know that many of you like me will join me in that thing :)

minori_aoi

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I wanna ask. Did MS promised Ativ S WP 8.1 at all?? Is this device still relevant today??

It went on sale for 85.5 USD here (NEW and UNLOCKED) from it's original price which was around 400 USD. I think it very cheap. Spec even much better than Lumia 63x which cost more than twice of this.

minori_aoi

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The correct question is
Did Samsung promise the Ativ S WP 8.1?
Sorry, but I don't follow the WP story.

I'm coming from iOS here. Back then on WP7 days (I used to have Focus), all devices get updated and MS had list of the devices update status on their website.

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't follow the WP story.

I'm coming from iOS here. Back then on WP7 days (I used to have Focus), all devices get updated and MS had list of the devices update status on their website.

OK. MS release the OS to the OEM's (handset manafacture's) they then release the OS + Firmware to the Handsets, unlike iOS where Apple control the OS and Hardware.

You need to think of WP8-8.1 updates similar to Android updates. Some OEM's will update the handsets some won't.
I'm still yet to see a OS and Firmware update from Samsung post WP8.0 GDR3.
If you are looking to get a WP handset I would recomend getting a Nokia, only because Nokia Handsets get updated on a regular basis.

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
OK. MS release the OS to the OEM's (handset manafacture's) they then release the OS + Firmware to the Handsets, unlike iOS where Apple control the OS and Hardware.

You need to think of WP8-8.1 updates similar to Android updates. Some OEM's will update the handsets some won't.
I'm still yet to see a OS and Firmware update from Samsung post WP8.0 GDR3.
If you are looking to get a WP handset I would recomend getting a Nokia, only because Nokia Handsets get updated on a regular basis.

Samsung and HTC devices were first to get GDR2 and GDR3. Now, after MS-Nokia deal is done - there are no updates for Samsung/HTC. I wonder why...

The last paragraph is the answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett