Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
OK. MS release the OS to the OEM's (handset manafacture's) they then release the OS + Firmware to the Handsets, unlike iOS where Apple control the OS and Hardware.

You need to think of WP8-8.1 updates similar to Android updates. Some OEM's will update the handsets some won't.
I'm still yet to see a OS and Firmware update from Samsung post WP8.0 GDR3.If you are looking to get a WP handset I would recomend getting a Nokia, only because Nokia Handsets get updated on a regular basis.

Samsung and HTC devices were first to get GDR2 and GDR3. Now, after MS-Nokia deal is done - there are no updates for Samsung/HTC. I wonder why...

The last paragraph is the answer.

So. Much. Negativity.

Until we hear directly from Samsung that they have no intention of providing any more updates then there's no point speculating, all I know for sure is that the ATIV S WILL get WP8.1 the question isn't IF but WHEN. I've asked Samsung myself and they've stated next month and that's all we have.

Last edited:

akoj

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
So. Much. Negativity.

Until we hear directly from Samsung that they have no intention of providing any more updates then there's no point speculating, all I know for sure is that the ATIV S WILL get WP8.1 the question isn't IF but WHEN. I've asked Samsung myself and they've stated next month and that's all we have.

I'm being negative about MS, not Samsung - please, read again.
Main point is this - MS profits from HTC and Samsung not releasing updates.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm being negative about MS, not Samsung - please, read again.
Main point is this - MS profits from HTC and Samsung not releasing updates.

And he said "So much negativity", didn't said also it is about Samsung or MS
what he wrote bellow that is in par with the topic of this thread.
After all, this is a thread about Expecting SAMSUNG firmware, not MS firmware :)
MS is not producing firmware, OEM's does. :)

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So. Much. Negativity.

No not negativity, No Speculation. Just stament of fact
  • Nokia Mobile provide regular updates
  • Nokia Mobile provide regular press releases for when to expect the next updates
  • When did Samsung last have a press release about OS/Firmware updates for their Windows Phone handsets?
  • Samsung, by their actions are more dedicated to Android.

Do not take my statement the wrong way I'm very happy with my Ativ S. As a handset it does everything that I need it to do, I would just like to have the Firmware to go with the OS.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
No not negativity, No Speculation. Just stament of fact
  • Nokia Mobile provide regular updates
  • Nokia Mobile provide regular press releases for when to expect the next updates
  • When did Samsung last have a press release about OS/Firmware updates for their Windows Phone handsets?
  • Samsung, by their actions are more dedicated to Android.

Do not take my statement the wrong way I'm very happy with my Ativ S. As a handset it does everything that I need it to do, I would just like to have the Firmware to go with the OS.
Bro, no one took your statement wrong, we just told you not to be negative for your own good, like, to be more positive, got it? :)
You have absolutely right to say whatever bothers you in your mind, that's why forums exist. And ofcorse you love your ATIV S, otherwise you wouldn't be here, right? :) I personally like to think that around 90% of the people who bought the ATIV S knew what they are buying. They probably made some re-search before buy the phone, so they bought it cuz they really liked it :)
Cheers :)

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Bro, no one took your statement wrong, we just told you not to be negative for your own good, like, to be more positive, got it? :)

Got it? Yes I've got it..

I've been told by two users on a forum that I need to be more positive..

I never said that Samsung would not provide updated firmware. The previous poster was asking if the Samsung Ativ was worth buying now.. My opinion was and still is no it is not a handset worth buying now. When it was first released it was comparable with other handsets available at the time.
But now it is like asking if the iPhone 4s is still worth buying

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I never said that Samsung would not provide updated firmware. The previous poster was asking if the Samsung Ativ was worth buying now.. My opinion was and still is no it is not a handset worth buying now. When it was first released it was comparable with other handsets available at the time.

It is worth buying. It just depends on the price. I bought mine about 4 or 5 months ago and I think it was a good buy. Because I bought it for 150€ (around 197$)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It is worth buying. It just depends on the price. I bought mine about 4 or 5 months ago and I think it was a good buy. Because I bought it for 150€ (around 197$)

I bought mine for 100 euros in march 2014 from T-Mobile Macedonia. I could go for better phone at that time, but the price was too tempting. I am not a specs and pixel junkie, so this phone is perfect for me :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Chill out bro, we are just being friendly :) Relax, have a beer on me :)

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine for 100 euros in march 2014 from T-Mobile Macedonia. I could go for better phone at that time, but the price was too tempting. I am not a specs and pixel junkie, so this phone is perfect for me :)

Got in mine September 2013 for 235 euros unlocked (thanks to mom). Its android brother, the Galaxy S3, was going for 400-450 euros (unlocked). Did not know anything about windows phone or the phone itself so it was an uninformed decision, but i'm glad i made it. My only gripe with the OS (not phone) is how inflexible the dialing screen and its options are, and how there are many steps involved in saving a contact/phone number.

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably an iPhone. If they're releasing a 5.5" display, I might be gone. :p
Lol, over here (the Netherlands) that would almost be comparing a ford focus with a ferrari.. Price wise. So no comparison. I do like the feel ios has, in my opinion the same idea Windows Phone has. Logical, easy to use user interface. I don't like Apples pricing, the smaller screens (but it seems thats going to be fixed) , the fact that you pay 100 euro more every time u want to double the memory in the phone (look at the prices of micro sd and you see apple rips you off) and the fact that with major updates your device becomes unbearably slow at times. Typing this from my ipad 2 btw, where the browser regulary "hangs" since ios7.. So, idevices, not worth the huge price in my opinion. I'll have my Ativ S over an iphone every day. :)

Last edited:

Alex Boom

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
First of all, DP has already been released, so it's silly to wonder IF it will get the update.
Second, 3-4 days ago Nokia released FW and SW updates for the Lumia 720 devices, which means that even Nokia hasn't finished updating its devices...
The only logical question would be ''when it will be released?''

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
first of all, dp has already been released, so it's silly to wonder if it will get the update.
Second, 3-4 days ago nokia released fw and sw updates for the lumia 720 devices, which means that even nokia hasn't finished updating its devices...
The only logical question would be ''when it will be released?''

yup :)

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if anyone has seen this yet but there was an update published for the diagnosis app on August 12 version 1.6.5.0(found using sysapp pusher) name labeled as Diagnosis_Ody81. Cant download it yet my guess is I need wp8.1 guess well be seeing it soon or later

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft announced new firmware for WP 8.1 + Update 1 codename DENIM
Samsung FAIL
:D

That's a Samsung Fail, how?

Just because Microsoft Mobile devices require a firmware update for Update 1 it doesn't mean Samsung devices will, the most the new firmware will bring is Hey Cortana support for certain handsets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05