Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Marin Frenky

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
i would like a few more things to be fixed, fix for sms delivery system, this one is fine all reports are in one conversation but could it check in phonebook and display contact name instead or number. it would be even better the clasic style, in every message a small checkmark. also since there is an option to change default camera would be nice to have some alternative. cant find ativ camera in store, manual instal from web doesnt work for this device.

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Megadragon998, respect to you because you open this thread, but if you read some page back you will find the answers. Go to page 30 and read my post.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry, no offence taken. I admit i was, maybe lazy, but i was just so happy to see that the this topic use was fullfilled so i wanted to install the update as soon as i could without going back to gdr2. I can report now that update is still installing (the 8.1 update, yeah, i got it now) and will post a screenshot when it's finished.

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Will someone write about battery on WP8.1. When is full charged is show 17hours for use, but in my normal use is only 12hours. I have a another new battery but same happens. In background every app is turn off.

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
you need to acces the diag. menu
just call this number - ##634#
wait a lil bit for the new menu
in the new menu tap this = *#321647335

and then you can see the CSC regions.
you need ATO

- if you have it just tap on it and confirm it, the phone will restart
- If you cant see the ATO than you need to Flash your phone to GDR2 with csc ATO

I select ATO type on ok when it ask to reset the phone and... nothing happens, my phone does not reset himself and when I go in diagnostics again, ATO is not selected. What can I do?

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I select ATO type on ok when it ask to reset the phone and... nothing happens, my phone does not reset himself and when I go in diagnostics again, ATO is not selected. What can I do?
There is a lag, it should appear after 5-10 seconds, at least that's what happened to me when i was changing

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Will someone write about battery on WP8.1. When is full charged is show 17hours for use, but in my normal use is only 12hours. I have a another new battery but same happens. In background every app is turn off.

I was going to wait til I've done my battery calibration. But 17 hours is so little time! I had 1 day and 7 hours on DP and it usually lasted me a bit more than a day. I can't tell you yet what says after the update since I dropped the battery to 0 on purpose and it's now charging. When it's reaches 100% I will tell you how much it says the battery will last but I'm almost certain that it will last more than a day! One thing I forgot to mention on my previous post about the update. I did a hard reset right after the update

Last edited:

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey SPIFF, are you talking a day running off battery with moderate or heavy usage?

I still have yet to update to 8.1, i've got the update notification but am extremely sick, and would rather enjoy going thru the update when im at the top of my game.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey SPIFF, are you talking a day running off battery with moderate or heavy usage?

I still have yet to update to 8.1, i've got the update notification but am extremely sick, and would rather enjoy going thru the update when im at the top of my game.

More than a day (a day being full 24h and NOT just day time and leaving it charging over night) with moderate use. And this includes having the wi-fi and data connection always on. But I deactivated some background actvity to some apps that don't really need background activity. But for something like news or social media they are on. This also means having power savings when battery reaches 20%. There were some times that I use the phone heavily and I got maybe 7 hours. Never used the phone lightly (meaning just texting and phone calls) so I don't know how long it would last, but I think it should last 2 days or even more.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I was going to wait til I've done my battery calibration. But 17 hours is so little time! I had 1 day and 7 hours on DP and it usually lasted me a bit more than a day. I can't tell you yet what says after the update since I dropped the battery to 0 on purpose and it's now charging. When it's reaches 100% I will tell you how much it says the battery will last but I'm almost certain that it will last more than a day! One thing I forgot to mention on my previous post about the update. I did a hard reset right after the update
We will wait for your full findingswhen you done your test, and everyone who have the offical WP8.1 should do the same, but with precize infos.
Anyway, about the battery, your phone already calibrated your battery with previous usage. You don't need to calibrate it again. ATIV S use Li-Ion battery with built-in chip and NFC chip is also in the battery, not in the phone (but you all know that so far). So the battery of ATIV S is in the category of Smart Batteries. There is absolute no need to drain it to 0 and to charg it up to 100% so you can make some kind of calibrating of the battery like we use to do in older Li-Ion batteries used in Symbian and Feature phones (java phones), or like the older Cadmium batteries. In fact, doing that (drain to 0% and charge it up to 100%) to a smart battery like the one on the ATIV S will do more damage to your battery rather than improve it. Best usage of this smart batteries is when you just keep the cycles running. That means (this is optional), when your battery reach something between 25-40% life left, to plug it for a charge to 100%. It's totally fine to let it go sometimes to below 10% life or just your battery dies empty, but try not to happen to often.
I got this finding from a guy, friend of mine, whos job are batteries, and not just phone batteries, but all kinds of batteries, and he is a chemical and tech engineer. We run some test with Li-Ion batteries (old ones) and Li-Ion batteries (new, smart ones like the one on our ATIV S) along with older cadmium batteries for several months. His findings were correct!
Conclusion: You can charge your ATIV S battery as much as you want and when you want, it will be the same battery life, just don't "die" the battery too often. :) Hope this helps for all of you to clear some issues with battery on our beloved ATIV S :)

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried to revert back to GDR2 and at some point i got an error and now when I connect the phone in download mode to pc, the SMD binary downloader freezes and stops working. Help please!

View attachment 85024

Is that on Windows 8(or above) or Windows 7? Because on my laptop (which runs Windows 8.1) I got some errors so I didn't procceed on that. I went to my desktop that has Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems. Some people on this thread also fixed the problems with a new/other data cable. I don't know much about flashing, so I'm just hinting you at some things that maybe you should look at

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
We will wait for your full findingswhen you done your test, and everyone who have the offical WP8.1 should do the same, but with precize infos.
Anyway, about the battery, your phone already calibrated your battery with previous usage. You don't need to calibrate it again. ATIV S use Li-Ion battery with built-in chip and NFC chip is also in the battery, not in the phone (but you all know that so far). So the battery of ATIV S is in the category of Smart Batteries. There is absolute no need to drain it to 0 and to charg it up to 100% so you can make some kind of calibrating of the battery like we use to do in older Li-Ion batteries used in Symbian and Feature phones (java phones), or like the older Cadmium batteries. In fact, doing that (drain to 0% and charge it up to 100%) to a smart battery like the one on the ATIV S will do more damage to your battery rather than improve it. Best usage of this smart batteries is when you just keep the cycles running. That means (this is optional), when your battery reach something between 25-40% life left, to plug it for a charge to 100%. It's totally fine to let it go sometimes to below 10% life or just your battery dies empty, but try not to happen to often.
I got this finding from a guy, friend of mine, whos job are batteries, and not just phone batteries, but all kinds of batteries, and he is a chemical and tech engineer. We run some test with Li-Ion batteries (old ones) and Li-Ion batteries (new, smart ones like the one on our ATIV S) along with older cadmium batteries for several months. His findings were correct!
Conclusion: You can charge your ATIV S battery as much as you want and when you want, it will be the same battery life, just don't "die" the battery too often. :) Hope this helps for all of you to clear some issues with battery on our beloved ATIV S :)

Wow, thanks for that. I learnt so much on this thread already and I just learned some more! Since I thought the battery estimate Battery Saver gave me was low for what I was expecting I decided to try this. I guess it won't make a difference then. I will still post the result but I won't expect much now :D Thanks, dude

Last edited:

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Btw, do you know how can we know if a battery is a "smart battery" or a "dumb battery"? Is there any information on the battery that we know before hand or do we just have to test it?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Btw, do you know how can we know if a battery is a "smart battery" or a "dumb battery"? Is there any information on the battery that we know before hand or do we just have to test it?
Mostly all smartphones in the last 2-3 years use the Li-Ion smart batteries. In matter of fact here is a raw hint: If the smartphone can use an app that tells you "in-deep" about the battery performance (Like the awesome app Insider for WP), that means that battery is a "smart battery". Just ask yourself How those apps can pull so much data for the battery, right? So there must be some kind of chip there, got it? :)
Oh, one more thing (I sound now like Tim Cook, LOL), Smart batteries are calibrating by their self based on how you use the phone, the procedure is automatic, hence no need for manual calibrating. That means, now you with the new WP8.1 is a new "challenge" for the battery, and in coming weeks your battery will adjust to that. :)

Teodor Florin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Is that on Windows 8(or above) or Windows 7? Because on my laptop (which runs Windows 8.1) I got some errors so I didn't procceed on that. I went to my desktop that has Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems. Some people on this thread also fixed the problems with a new/other data cable. I don't know much about flashing, so I'm just hinting you at some things that maybe you should look at

I tried on Win 8.1, I will try on Win 7 now.

velqn

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

hope it`s not a lame newbie question, but when I open the diag app and go to the CSC changer, i see nothing. No current CSC and not radio buttons to choose the new CSC (like ATO) to try get the 8.1

I run a 8.0 straight (no DP) Samsung Ativ S unlocked device bought from Bulgaria, w/o any carrier contract. The previous owner though told me that he did some flashing to WP DP8.1 but the camera bug made him flash back to GDR3.

Weird. Many thanks in advance!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,

hope it`s not a lame newbie question, but when I open the diag app and go to the CSC changer, i see nothing. No current CSC and not radio buttons to choose the new CSC (like ATO) to try get the 8.1

I run a 8.0 straight (no DP) Samsung Ativ S unlocked device bought from Bulgaria, w/o any carrier contract. The previous owner though told me that he did some flashing to WP DP8.1 but the camera bug made him flash back to GDR3.

Weird. Many thanks in advance!
Post here:
- OS Version
- Firmware Revision Number
- Bootloader version
You know where to find them (Settings, About Phone)

Alternatively: Uninstall Diagnosis App, Restart your phone (Soft Reset, turn off-turn on). In dial pad type ##634# , wait for about 5 seconds, go back and see if Diagnosis App is installed in App List. Open Diagnosis app and type *#78*598031 or *#321647335 (it's the same), then it will open CSC Converter Odyssey_121205, you should be able to see your current CSC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium