Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Diogo Filipe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
So I did it. Not problems what so ever and everything is running smoothly. All bugs are gone, UI is much more responsive and smooth (with DP it used to stutter some times when scrolling, not anymore).

Also the camera is focusing better and faster than it was on DP.
APNs were set automaticly which didn't happen with DP.
Some apps that I had problems on DP, (like sometimes I had to try several times because they crashed right after opening them) are working fine. Didn't test the Live Lock Screen Beta because I believe that's an app problem and not a firmware one.

As for new features that we didn't have on DP, the pointer above the connection we are using. Not really important but it's still new (at least I didn't have it on DP). I don't remembre this, but when I turn off wi-fi it gives me an option to set the wi-fi to be turned on automaticly within an hour, 4 hours, when i'm near my favourites or mannually. I don't remember if we already had those options. Also when I booted my phone with DP it used to show me the Windows logo with the words "Windows Phone" to the side and right after "Samsung Mobile". Now it just shows me a big Windows logo in the center and then "SAMSUNG". I think that changed already to some people with DP, but this was the first time for me.

In conclusion, in my personal experience everything is running fine and smooth on my end with no complaints what so ever. I used intensly the phone for the last few hours so I could test everything I could remember and to get the battery to die, so I can fully charge (0 to 100). To do a kind of reset to a battery. Not really a reset, more like a calibration.

DP 8.1.1 has the pointer above the connections, plus the wifi automatic options. Also, all the things you refer are present in DP (except the color of Windows Logo boot). I never felt any problems when scrolling (like freezing or stuttering) neither with camera's focus.

The only problem with DP is that, sometimes, the camara stops working and it needs a restart to work again.

Last edited:

velqn

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Here am I, shining with the new 8.1 Can`t believe I have the action center right now, waited years to get it in iOS, and more years to get it here :)

WP_20141019.png

Boris, Neo, thanks for your help guys! Here`s the report, hope it can help some other folks too.

So, what did I do to fix an apparently empty/missing/not present CSC code from what might have been a bad flash, or partial one.

Issue: Missing CSC code/CSC code cannot be changed
Previous OS: GDR3 but with missing CSC
New OS: WP8.1 as per the screenshot
FIX:
1. Use WP8 SMD binary USB Downloader 3.33.1 to flash GDR1 rom with CSC=ATO incl. (to get 8.1):
- flash GT-I8750 XXALL3_R_signed
- GT-I8750_OXAALL3_R_SIGNED
2. Phone will update to GDR1
3. Phone will update to GDR2
4. Phone will update to GDR3
5. Phone will update Samsung Firmware + Windows Phone 8.1

All now works fine, camera tested, no issues. Will keep this post updated with my findings.

UPDATE1: Issue with maps - Seems that I am not able to download maps with Maps+, Maps or Here Maps. Also, a big disappointment Here Drive+ costs still 30 EUR :(
UPDATE1.1: Issue with maps - fixedHad to change date/time from auto to manual, automatic was showing +2 hours difference although set Sofia, E. Europe.
UPDATE2: Fix Nokia Here Drive+ not available - Had to change location from E. Europe/Bulgaria to US.

p.s. if somebody wants the links for the files, send me a PM.

Last edited:

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
DP 8.1.1 has the the pointer above the connections, plus the wifi automatic options. Also, all the things you refer are present in DP (except the color of Windows Logo boot). I never felt any problems when scrolling (like freezing or stuttering) neither with camera's focus.

The only problem with DP is that, sometimes, the camara stops working and it needs a restart to work again.

I was talking about my experience. Some thing vary from user to user from what I've seen in this thread (and yes, I read it all since I was here from the beggining). So I didn't have the pointers, had trouble with focus and APN's and had some stuttering when scrolling (no freezing) when I got DP even with 2 or 3 hard resets. So I'm just reporting what changed for me, not what will be changing to all of you. Just to be clear. Abou the wi-fi I said I was not sure since I rarelly turn off my wi-fi, so I didn't really notice if it had that option or not.

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Conclusion: You can charge your ATIV S battery as much as you want and when you want, it will be the same battery life, just don't "die" the battery too often. :)

Going really off topic here, but this is true.
Before you had to discharge the battery, this was better for battery life.
But nowadays you don't need to do this. This is even bad for your battery.
Just charge it as often you want without discharging it any time.
This is also written in the manual of your phones.

Last edited:

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
What is that logo on the right of the Wi-Fi?
About the pointer above the Wi-Fi. Is this a WP8.1 thing or a Samsung thing? I mean does Lumia also have this?

How come your cost for Here Drive+ is ?30 and for me it is ?40,99
Change your region to US and you will see that here drive + is free :)

Last edited:

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Btw, only 6 different CSC's? i got 40 different CSC's, I guess i am the only one here to have more than 10-15 CSC's on the phone, lol :)
Glad I helped you :)
Cheers.

that's perfectly fine. Mine that came from Amazon.de has those CSCs and that's all. As far as ATO is present, no much of an hassle.. ;)))

velqn

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello RoyalX,

dont have a clue about the new WiFi logo on WP8.1 - but I asked Google, and here is what I found: Cannot post the link but search for windows phone 8.1 WiFi logo in Google and you will get a link to windows phone site with description of all icons.

So it seems that this WiFi icon with the arrow is: Wi-Fi connection is being used to transfer data. Depending on your mobile operator, you might not see this icon when a Wi-Fi connection is being used to transfer data. This icon only appears on phones that have Windows Phone software version 8.0.10501.127 or later. See How do I update my phone software? for more info on updating your phone.

And yes, like maki01 says, change your region to US and download it for free. Still cannot get Cortana to work, but I dont care.

Regards,

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks velqn

Totally forgot about the Windows Phone instructions website. I've checked the Ativ S manual and this symbol was not there. But this symbol is only for WP8.1

About the Wi-Fi connection with the arrow, it says it appears in SW 8.0.10501.127 and above. That is GDR3. And I am on GDR3 but I haven't got this symbol anytime. But I wonder is it only for outgoing data? And it also says it depends on your provider to see or not to see this symbol. So maybe that is why.

luismfarelo

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
So yesterday I flashed my unlocked German Ativ S to GDR2 with ATO CSC, and did the subsequent updates followed by a hard reset. Had to use a Windows 7 PC as the driver didn't install correctly in Windows 8.1.
Discoveries:
Flash bug is gone
Camera no longer crashes while changing between video and camera modes
Ringtone bug is gone
APNs now working automatically and flawlessly
No more strange noises at the end of songs
No more popping sounds while scrubbing video
Little arrows indicating wi-fi or data usage
In general everything is faster

In conclusion, my Ativ S is now working flawlessly and I advise everyone with knowledge to do this procedure. Thank you Samsung for giving new life to this 2012 phone. Now I see no reason to upgrade to the Lumia 830.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Now it seems to be rolling :)

View attachment 85051

On the CSC`s, you are right, I am using a GDR1 that could be "stripped" down, who knows, I really hope now I will get the 8.1. I was little bit tired using fiddler and other proxy to cheat wp store so I will be able to download some Nokia stuff, like Here+, now on 8.1 it should be there... and the volume rocker! and etc :)

Excited!

Btw, the Cortana thing, does it make sense to change location to US (or any other supported)? I am having iOS devices and android devices, but I just used Siri or google Now (voice) for days, then bye, bye...

LOL
why did you use GDR1? Update process from GDR1 to WP8.1.1 will be long.. extra long :D
Next time use GDR2

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, i got so many questions in my Inbox here since this official samsung firmware was rolled out why i still haven't update my ATIV S which is still happily running WP8 GDR3 and i got so use to it by far. Anyway, to avoid answering you individually, here is to clear for all of you there sending me those messages:
The main reason why i still haven't upgraded on WP8.1.1 even tho i have ATO is that I am running on NEE CSC and for you who know and doesn't know, you do remember that ATO and NEE were the only remaining CSC's that people can go on WP8 GDR3 from GDR2. So, so far we know that ATO can bring you up to WP8.1, so i am waiting now to see if NEE picks up the official firmware, so i can share with all that have NEE and don't have ATO on their ATIV S's, so they don't go through a hastle of flashing new CSC's and risking bricking their phones. Hope I cleared that for you guys :)

Cheers.

Oversoul7

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Gotta appreciate Boris' decision to stay behind and ensure NEE users don't brick their phones. I expected NEE and BTU to follow immediately after ATO...i hope its only a matter of days. I too did not yet update, but thats not due to selfless reasons like Boris'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium