Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that battery gate too. I hope a hard reset solves the problem (but i'm not willing to do another hard reset).
After every ROM flashing, a hard reset is A MUST! (maybe even 2 hard resets, one after another)
That has been since the glory days of Windows Mobile 6.x.x, it was and still is the same with Android and now with WP too.
Why is that, you may ask? Because after flashing a ROM (on any OS), first the flashing tool is wiping the partition where the OS is installed, and then it flashes the new ROM. During wiping the OS partition there are files left behind (or how we in ROM developing circles call them "leftovers"), that often can make system unstable during conflicts with newest files. This is where hard reset is coming in hand. It makes sure you "clean" the leftovers from the previous ROM. Usually 1 hard reset can do the job, but 2 hard resets one after another is a 100% aim and hit. :)
When i was flashing my WM6.5.x ROMs on my beloved Omnia i900 for testing, i always did 2 hard resets one after another. :)

nindzab

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have battery drain problem with official 8.1.1 According that some of you talking about hard reset process like way to resolve this problem. So i have one stupid question. Is need to do hard reset even i flash my phone with official GDR2 package through recovery tool before upgrade process? I guess that is not necessary in my case? Am i right?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have battery drain problem with official 8.1.1 According that some of you talking about hard reset process like way to resolve this problem. So i have one stupid question. Is need to do hard reset even i flash my phone with official GDR2 package through recovery tool before upgrade process? I guess that is not necessary in my case? Am i right?
Well, when you flash GDR2, your phone will hard reset anyway, and when it turns on, one more hard reset won't hurt you, cuz you already don't have anything to back up, got it? :)

nindzab

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, when you flash GDR2, your phone will hard reset anyway, and when it turns on, one more hard reset won't hurt you, cuz you already don't have anything to back up, got it? :)

The problem is because i'm after flashing process using my phone couple of days and i made customization again.... so if i back up my settings, apps etc. right now, is the problem if i restore all of it after hard reset. I mean is the back up process also save the conflict system files which is responsible for battery drain?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The problem is because i'm after flashing process using my phone couple of days and i made customization again.... so if i back up my settings, apps etc. right now, is the problem if i restore all of it after hard reset. I mean is the back up process also save the conflict system files which is responsible for battery drain?
Well, depends what did you back up. Few posts above someone said it manage to back up settings, and games progress, and after flashing the rom he manage to return everything. I am not sure if the back up process is saving those files too, but i think it does, since hard reset is required right after you flash the phone and boot for the first time, before you start cuztomization and installing again.
Let's put it this way: Would you rather risk with back up and if something happen, you do the whole process over again, or you would rather spend some time, wipe everything, and when flash, reboot and hard reset, you start clean and start installing and customization?
If you ask me, I am always for a clean start, bugs/conflicts free.
If you can't remember all the apps and games you install, then, do it old school way:
- Make screenshots from your whole App List (usually needs 5-7 screenshots) and save them to OneDrive
- Take a paper and a pen and write down all installed apps and games.
I would recommend the first one, since i am doing that also :)

arronov

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello, any review for official 8.1.1 ativ s? Any bugs, battery usage more better than before (8.0 gdr2/3) or make it worst (battery drainer)?

nindzab

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, depends what did you back up. Few posts above someone said it manage to back up settings, and games progress, and after flashing the rom he manage to return everything. I am not sure if the back up process is saving those files too, but i think it does, since hard reset is required right after you flash the phone and boot for the first time, before you start cuztomization and installing again.
Let's put it this way: Would you rather risk with back up and if something happen, you do the whole process over again, or you would rather spend some time, wipe everything, and when flash, reboot and hard reset, you start clean and start installing and customization?
If you ask me, I am always for a clean start, bugs/conflicts free.
If you can't remember all the apps and games you install, then, do it old school way:
- Make screenshots from your whole App List (usually needs 5-7 screenshots) and save them to OneDrive
- Take a paper and a pen and write down all installed apps and games.
I would recommend the first one, since i am doing that also :)

Thanks in advice. I don't have a problem with my memory but i spent a lot of time to customize a tons of passwords and users for installed apps... :) Anyway i'm totally agree with your point of view :) i'm going to do hard reset...

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello, any review for official 8.1.1 ativ s? Any bugs, battery usage more better than before (8.0 gdr2/3) or make it worst (battery drainer)?

First post here and you already bump a question before even try to read some of the pages here. Trust me, you will find the answers you need in those last 5 pages of this thread. :)
By the way, Welcome to WPC Forums :)

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I make 1 soft reset and 2 hard resets,but same thing. Also i have a new battery but is the same thing of battery drain. Only first 2 months when i bought a Ativ have a good battery backup, after that a install DP and i charge my phone every 18 hours. One day i don't use a phone and put him in airplane mode and battery was empty for 1day and 5 hours. My usage is normal 20 min call, 1 time check for mail and 10 min surfing. With this official update is worst than DP.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I make 1 soft reset and 2 hard resets,but same thing. Also i have a new battery but is the same thing of battery drain. Only first 2 months when i bought a Ativ have a good battery backup, after that a install DP and i charge my phone every 18 hours. One day i don't use a phone and put him in airplane mode and battery was empty for 1day and 5 hours. My usage is normal 20 min call, 1 time check for mail and 10 min surfing. With this official update is worst than DP.

NFC is disabled?
Bluetooth? 3G? Check it... next step tell us what kind of application do you have instaled on your phone?
Last step check the battery saver app and disable background applications

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

oh hell no! Backup will work only for 50%..
GT racing 2 stats, cars, progress - everything was wiped out and the backup didnt save any data of it.
Backup was good only for my homescreen, ringtone and some personalization.. everything else was gone. Microsoft should improve this function

maki01

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
NFC is disabled?
Bluetooth? 3G? Check it... next step tell us what kind of application do you have instaled on your phone?
Last step check the battery saver app and disable background applications

Everything is turn off, only wi-fii is always on (i tried and with wi-fi off but only minutes is difference). All background app is also disable. I have installed Viber, Skype, Here Drive +, Ativ Clock, Now, Reading list, WPCentral, WPNews, Adobe Reader, Youtube HD, RapDialer, Remote for LG and two mail account ( manually check for gmail ). Thanks for advice but i know that nothing will help. Everything i make to have a good battery backup. Also i revert to GDR1, after that to GDR2 (in this a have 1day and some hour), but same thing. Boris know my battery problem.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Everything is turn off, only wi-fii is always on (i tried and with wi-fi off but only minutes is difference). All background app is also disable. I have installed Viber, Skype, Here Drive +, Ativ Clock, Now, Reading list, WPCentral, WPNews, Adobe Reader, Youtube HD, RapDialer, Remote for LG and two mail account ( manually check for gmail ). Thanks for advice but i know that nothing will help. Everything i make to have a good battery backup. Also i revert to GDR1, after that to GDR2 (in this a have 1day and some hour), but same thing. Boris know my battery problem.

Give it a time, you made so much changes to your phone in short time, battery is confused. Don't do any other changes for a month or so, just use your phone as it is, see if battery performance will change in a month or two, if it doesn't then this is your second battery, so must be some hardware problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea