Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

tharealmb87

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to change the CSC. I can get in the option menu though. I have dbt now, but want ATO which is listed.

When i click ATO, it asks to hard reset. i press OK, but then nothing happens. I keep in that screen. Going back using the back button does nothing. When i go back to the diagnosis it's back to DBT.

anyone any clue?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to change the CSC. I can get in the option menu though. I have dbt now, but want ATO which is listed.

When i click ATO, it asks to hard reset. i press OK, but then nothing happens. I keep in that screen. Going back using the back button does nothing. When i go back to the diagnosis it's back to DBT.

anyone any clue?
Uninstall diagnosis, Soft reset your phone (power off/power on), install Diagnosis again and then try to change CSC and see if it prompt you with hard reseting your phone. Then come back and told me what happen. If this doesn't succeed, we will try another method.

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

anyone any clue?

Select ATO then manually hard reset from the settings menu. This has been an issue with DfP on the Ativ from the first release of 8.1

tharealmb87

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Well thats just weird...

i did what you said. I start diagnosis again... And now it says the current CSC is ATO. But that isn't possible because it did not hard-reset.

The issue remains the same. I choose a CSC. Then it asks: Conformation: DBT CSC Selected. Do you want reset phone automatically?

i press OK... nothing happens.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Select ATO then manually hard reset from the settings menu. This has been an issue with DfP on the Ativ from the first release of 8.1

He didn't mention that he is on DfP, so i am assuming he is still on WP8 GDR3. Let's see what happen first then we can try to help him with other methods :)

tharealmb87

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! did your steps and i THINK i'm now installing 8.1 for real now.

He didn't mention that he is on DfP, so i am assuming he is still on WP8 GDR3. Let's see what happen first then we can try to help him with other methods :)

I guess i should have mentioned that.... but yeah i was on DfP. So selecting and then manually resetting did the trick.

And i'm still on DfP it seems. Did get one small update about languages. I guess all i can do now is wait for the official update.

gugman

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
1) As I told you, on ETL you get a different firmware with 8.0 GDR3 and maybe a new firmware update to 8.1 from Samsung will be different
2) are you instal the new firmware on dev prev? (mention by Dragone & Pedro Nogueira1)

did not work out for me :(
reverted to gdr2 ETL, then updated to gdr3 with the firmware you mentioned, after that could not switch to ATO as could not activate diagnosis menu (first time since i have this phone) so i installed DP and upgraded via that to 8.1 and no camera again

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
About that, i am on official 8.1, should i register it to PfD to install that critical update as i assume Samsung didn't include it?

It is not a critical update. It was a test of the Critical Update system, but the payload delivered was just bug fixes and nothing super important.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Still no mention of the update on the Windows Central frontpage.. :p
Did anyone tip the crew on this yet? A lot of Ativ users out there, that might not notice the update..

We're looking to post something but TBH, this is confusing as hell for general audiences. Try explaining to the masses "Make sure you check your CSC first, because only ATO devices are getting it!" I mean, 99.5% are going to be "like, WTF does that even mean", lol.

Also, I have an unlocked ATIV S, not even sure the CSC and I have not gotten the update either (not on DP, but on GDR3). This news seems very incomplete at this point.

Dan Preda

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
did not work out for me :(
reverted to gdr2 ETL, then updated to gdr3 with the firmware you mentioned, after that could not switch to ATO as could not activate diagnosis menu (first time since i have this phone) so i installed DP and upgraded via that to 8.1 and no camera again

strange, I can open diagnosis menu (but I don't have ATO CSC, neither before update I had ATO)
p.s. with 8.1 via DP you get a new firmware?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
We're looking to post something but TBH, this is confusing as hell for general audiences. Try explaining to the masses "Make sure you check your CSC first, because only ATO devices are getting it!" I mean, 99.5% are going to be "like, WTF does that even mean", lol.

Also, I have an unlocked ATIV S, not even sure the CSC and I have not gotten the update either (not on DP, but on GDR3). This news seems very incomplete at this point.

Holy crap, Daniel Rubino itself on our thread, what an honor, thanks Daniel. :)
Anyway, the thing is that this is happening for the phones running on ATO and we send so many emails to Samsung officials here and there and we still haven't got any proper answer so we can spread the news and write to you guys about it. Maybe cuz we are ordinary users so they don't give a crap about us. Yes, they did answer something but that was rather generic auto-response. Maybe if someone from the Windows Central officials contact them, they might consider getting us a proper answer. Just a thought.
And, we know this is not a news for the main page of Windows Central, but it would be good if they make it a Sticky thread so people can easily reach the thread. But it's ok, thank you for dropping by Daniel :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Holy crap, Daniel Rubino itself on our thread, what an honor, thanks Daniel. :)
Anyway, the thing is that this is happening for the phones running on ATO and we send so many emails to Samsung officials here and there and we still haven't got any proper answer so we can spread the news and write to you guys about it. Maybe cuz we are ordinary users so they don't give a crap about us. Yes, they did answer something but that was rather generic auto-response. Maybe if someone from the Windows Central officials contact them, they might consider getting us a proper answer. Just a thought.
And, we know this is not a news for the main page of Windows Central, but it would be good if they make it a Sticky thread so people can easily reach the thread. But it's ok, thank you for dropping by Daniel :)

Lol, no problem. I'm writing an article right now for the front-page, just trying to bring some of the jargon down a bit for regular people. There's lots of explaining, lol.

Re: Contacting Samsung, unfortunately even we do not have good contacts with them. They operate very differently than say Microsoft/Nokia or even HTC.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Lol, no problem. I'm writing an article right now for the front-page, just trying to bring some of the jargon down a bit for regular people. There's lots of explaining, lol.

Re: Contacting Samsung, unfortunately even we do not have good contacts with them. They operate very differently than say Microsoft/Nokia or even HTC.

Yeah, unfortunately that's so true. Anyway thanks for the front page article, now it's going to be a mess here with questions, lol.
However we can handle it as so far, it's a very friendly thread, altho majority of ATIV S i8750 users are coming from Europe, Brazil and some parts of Asia. You did a good explanation in the article, thank you again :)
Cheers.
P.S. Ok wondering ATIV S i8750 users, hit us with your quiestions now :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Damn Samsung :( Why you don't want to update phones withou ATO? :asleep:

Maybe, just maybe they are silent with this as one kind of test the new firmware, once they recieve positive feedback, they already have the firmware, but small changes will be made for the region thing and they will push it world wide. :)
I am too optimistic, right? LOL

xxxneoxxx

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah i agree.. It would be nice if there was some official word from Samsung.. Just to confirm the news. Or shed some light on who will be getting the update, how and when... But it seems that all Samsung related news reaches the end users through informal channels, haha. They don't seem to roll with official statements about Windows Phone..

Regarding the CSC 'difficulties', u r right i guess. Since i work in ict, I got the concept of 'the CSC thing' pretty fast I guess (pushing updates over a network in waves, limiting it to a specific target group at first etc etc - typical ICT practise) but i can see it could be kind of difficult to explain this concept to a general audience - with not everyone too tech savvy perhaps. Still, I want to compliment you on the article. Judging from the responses, i think most people do get your explanation. That's a good sign right there i guess.

Also, thanks on spending time to actually write the article with this little information available... Lately, it seems to become more and more common in the responses to Samsung related articles to just blatantly bash Samsung. I know the company doesn't exactly prioritise on "our" OS, but with all the bashing going on at the front page, it's nice to have an article reminding the Samsung users that they aren't being completely forgotten by Samsung. So, thanks again Daniel! :)

Damn Samsung :( Why you don't want to update phones withou ATO? :asleep:
Patience, young grashopper.. Give it some days.. Took some days for other CSC's to receive GDR3 after ATO/NEE too when it was just released... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786