Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You mean the personal digital assistant I won't have in my language until next year?:amaze:
:crying:

Sadly, yes. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before other countries get it, we do have to remember that it's the back end services that take the time to be upgraded not the phones.

Kambiz IranParast

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Borris,
Thx for your contribution and dedication to this forum. I know you used the word "reset". My question is, does the phone automatically get a factory reset after you get the official Samsung 8.1.1 update or it's a choice that you can make? The reason I ask is because at the moment, I don't want to lose the data that I've got on my phone. I'm the admin for some WhatsApp groups and once I lose those groups as a result of a factory reset, I've got to recreate them all and add so many group members and it's a hassle. Thanks in advance for your input.

KamiForce

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
RoyalX;2838461name: Master Ativ S? What is this?

Don't worry about the name :)
U can change this to whatever u want
I work in a pc store & sometimes get a ativ for repair; so i changed my phone name

Glad Boris is detailing everything so clearly regarding the update:)

Personal findings:
Longer Battery Life
Camera, thing is frigging fast now; no problems when taking pictures
Booting is also faster
tried to take screenie; and then u get warning -> volume up + power instead of logo+power

all they need to add is a "mobile" on/off in the action centre
Cortana (phone is in dutch) -> I want inner circle/quiet hours :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
RoyalX;2838461name: Master Ativ S? What is this?

Don't worry about the name :)
U can change this to whatever u want
I work in a pc store & sometimes get a ativ for repair; so i changed my phone name

Glad Boris is detailing everything so clearly regarding the update:)

Personal findings:
Longer Battery Life
Camera, thing is frigging fast now; no problems when taking pictures
Booting is also faster
tried to take screenie; and then u get warning -> volume up + power instead of logo+power

all they need to add is a "mobile" on/off in the action centre
Cortana (phone is in dutch) -> I want inner circle/quiet hours :)

So you're saying that you have Cortana without changing the settings?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Borris,
Thx for your contribution and dedication to this forum. I know you used the word "reset". My question is, does the phone automatically get a factory reset after you get the official Samsung 8.1.1 update or it's a choice that you can make? The reason I ask is because at the moment, I don't want to lose the data that I've got on my phone. I'm the admin for some WhatsApp groups and once I lose those groups as a result of a factory reset, I've got to recreate them all and add so many group members and it's a hassle. Thanks in advance for your input.
Kambiz, let me explain you how upgrade is going:
First of all you have to have space for that. When the last upgrade begun, I had 10.31GB free space, then i notice it went down to 8.7GB. This is like this because before upgrade start to install, the OS needs first a space where it can migrate your data (pictures, sounds, settings, etc.) on safe so it can make a clean install.
After the upgrade is install and phone actually hard resets, last thing OS is doing is to migrate your data back to it's place and release that taken space back.
So, bottom line you won't lose anything. You will see after the upgrade is finished that OS makes another operation saying: Migrating Data. So, i think you would be fine cuz i have notice that when all was done i opened Facebook and i was already logged in. So I think you won't have problems with WhatsApp.
After all finished and i did those first little settings (removing new installed app that came with the new OS, cuz i don't need them) I went back to 10.31GB of free space i had before the upgrade started. So, it's all good.
Anyway, hard reset is not needed here cuz this is official OTA. You do hard reset when you flash a new rom not when you get OTA update.
Hope I explain you well :)

Duareg

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, yes. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before other countries get it, we do have to remember that it's the back end services that take the time to be upgraded not the phones.
OK then, actually I don't care that much about this feature. I was just whining. :)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Boris: In the DP, the ringtone would reset to a default sound whenever the phone reboots. Do you notice if this is happening with your device? Or have you rebooted it at all?

KamiForce

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
As i said in my first impressions post, change language to English US and you get much better US Cortana :)
I know that would get me cortana
But, I'm the only active windows phone user in our firm - so it's always my phone they show to customers
and if they see english; they flip.. "ow, it's in english... not in dutch"
and saying it's also in dutch; most customers would give me a weird look & wouldn't believe me >.<
So gonna stick with dutch for now :p

Anyway; been messing with my phone
apps opening a lot faster (store & FB Messenger speed increased drastically)
Found out: rebooting the phone now saves my volume settings (finally; previously --> 19/30)
There was also a microsoft thread I was following; people there getting the updates now too (can't link; not 10 posts yet)
And; Facebook Beta -> no integration in People; only normal Facebook app works

Hoping some apps will change the logo to allow transparency

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Boris: In the DP, the ringtone would reset to a default sound whenever the phone reboots. Do you notice if this is happening with your device? Or have you rebooted it at all?

Nope, everything works just fine here. The Ringer + Notifications tone volume if you set it to 7 it will stay at 7 after restart the phone, the same goes to Media + Apps, and also when you speak on the phone (like a phone call, lol) however you set it, it will stay the same after the reboot. Actually i just tested this right before I answer your question.
Ringer + Notification tone - volume set on 9
Media + Apps tone - volume set to 25
Incall - volume set to 10
After reboot, all stayed the same :)

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I know that would get me cortana
But, I'm the only active windows phone user in our firm - so it's always my phone they show to customers
and if they see english; they flip.. "ow, it's in english... not in dutch"
and saying it's also in dutch; most customers would give me a weird look & wouldn't believe me >.<
So gonna stick with dutch for now :p

Anyway; been messing with my phone
apps opening a lot faster (store & FB Messenger speed increased drastically)
Found out: rebooting the phone now saves my volume settings (finally; previously --> 19/30)
There was also a microsoft thread I was following; people there getting the updates now too (can't link; not 10 posts yet)
And; Facebook Beta -> no integration in People; only normal Facebook app works

Hoping some apps will change the logo to allow transparency

When i got the upgrade I noticed that it did install official Facebook app beside the Facebook Beta i got previously. I tested both again, and Facebook Beta was equally fast as was previously, but what I was surprised is that official Facebook app now works even faster and it's much fluid than Beta. I don't know, maybe on my phone works like that.
And I often seen people on Store complaining some app is slow or crashing or whatever. I have a strange fetish to go right after those apps and none of them are crashing on my phone, and when i write to those people telling them that on my phone those apps are not slow and crashing at all, they thought i am trolling them, Go figure! LoooL

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Matthew >can't wait til I don't get "over the horizon" default ring tone everyone I restart my phone. Hope t899 gets the firmware soon.

Last edited:

Appalling Outlook

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Update- now maybe its just me, but after the official firmware update, the screen looks alot crisper. Colours pop slightly.. Really liking the look of text and UI animations. Its seems Samsung did some optimization with the screen. We're getting some good AMOLED performance improvements here.. Animations look slick.

I can't seem to observe this to the same degree as you, after finally updating to official Samsung WP 8.1. Are you sure your screen setting was not set on "medium" after you installed the update, so that if you set it back to "low" (which I presume was your setting previously), makes your screen look the same as before?

AO

Kambiz IranParast

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Kambiz, let me explain you how upgrade is going:
First of all you have to have space for that. When the last upgrade begun, I had 10.31GB free space, then i notice it went down to 8.7GB. This is like this because before upgrade start to install, the OS needs first a space where it can migrate your data (pictures, sounds, settings, etc.) on safe so it can make a clean install.
After the upgrade is install and phone actually hard resets, last thing OS is doing is to migrate your data back to it's place and release that taken space back.
So, bottom line you won't lose anything. You will see after the upgrade is finished that OS makes another operation saying: Migrating Data. So, i think you would be fine cuz i have notice that when all was done i opened Facebook and i was already logged in. So I think you won't have problems with WhatsApp.
After all finished and i did those first little settings (removing new installed app that came with the new OS, cuz i don't need them) I went back to 10.31GB of free space i had before the upgrade started. So, it's all good.
Anyway, hard reset is not needed here cuz this is official OTA. You do hard reset when you flash a new rom not when you get OTA update.
Hope I explain you well :)

Borris,

Thx very much for your clear explanation.
You make a wonderful university professor.
Take care

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss